Hunter tiers and how to run a game effectively

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter tiers and how to run a game effectively

So, I ran the first one shot scenario for my group the other night, which got me all giddy about Hunter again, since I've switched over to Exalted. But my question is this: how do you run a Hunter game effectively utilizing the tier structure? Do you start at the bottom and slowly work your way to the top? Or do you choose a tier and pretty much stay at it? Also, what are some tips you can give for playing Tier 2 and Tier 3 Hunter cells?

Co-Host of The Deliberative Podcast
    Follow us on Twitter!
    Follow us on Facebook!
    Follow us on the Web!
    Like what we do? Support us on Patreon!

Utilizing the tier structure is... not something to really worry about? The tiers are a framing device to help give immediate understanding to the type of Hunters you're talking about. Staying in the same tier the whole time, or building an organization up from a small group to a major player, or even watching your organization fall to shambles until only a few survivors remain to try to pick up the fight... they're all valid ways to play the game. Do what works for the ST's intent and the player's desires.

The only generic tip I can think of for Tiers 2 and 3, are to remember that your PC group is part of a larger organization. Even if they're a relatively independent cell (or individuals working with folks from other groups even), the larger group shouldn't just be justification of Merits. The characters should have duties/etc. weighing on them to keep the mostly off-screen organization present.

Comment

That’s some good advice! I do feel compelled to clarify that I meant that I was the ST looking for advice on running a game. Not playing in one. But I can still use that info just the same.

Follow us on Twitter!
      Follow us on Facebook!
      Follow us on the Web!

Comment

In games I've run, players generally start at Tier 1, and then either join a Tier 2 or 3 organization. This VERY rarely impacts them -- just because Cheiron is a world-spanning organization doesn't mean they're ever leaving the city that they're in. But it DOES mean pulling in way more resources than they could before.

Comment

Funnily, we did the opposite in our Hunter campaign. (Technically a CofD campaign since we use 2e rules, Supernatural Merits instead of Endowments, and the full splats instead of the simplified HtV versions, but it's thematically a Hunter campaign.) We started having already been drafted into Next in Security (a security company/PMC that is a subsidiary of the Cheiron Group, even if we don't actually know the Cheiron Group by name in-character; we just call them "the company") and had that as an excuse to buy Supernatural Merits-as-Thaumatechnology. Then some stuff happened, we became branded traitors for some reasons, and "escaped" the company by being sucked into the Underworld. Now we've resurfaced and are kinda a custom sincle-cell compact, interacting with other local compacts and supernatural players while also trying not to show up on the company's radar.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Enokh View Post
            In games I've run, players generally start at Tier 1, and then either join a Tier 2 or 3 organization. This VERY rarely impacts them -- just because Cheiron is a world-spanning organization doesn't mean they're ever leaving the city that they're in. But it DOES mean pulling in way more resources than they could before.
            That makes a lot of sense. I always have the desire to use some of those huge organizations, but haven't ever felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger quite yet. The closest I came was having one Hunter in a Tier 1 cell being a member of Network Zero. She was of course eventually assassinated when she got busted, the other Hunters fearing she knew too much. Ah, good times.

Follow us on Twitter!
            Follow us on Facebook!
            Follow us on the Web!

Comment

I like to start my Hunter games at Tier 0. Meaning the characters have not run into the supernatural yet. We play through their first encounter and what makes them Hunters. From there, they are presented "opportunities" to join larger and better endowed organizations as the game progresses. Occasionally, a Hunter or two may even wonder what such membership will cost them before they sign up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukkychukky View Post
                The closest I came was having one Hunter in a Tier 1 cell being a member of Network Zero. She was of course eventually assassinated when she got busted, the other Hunters fearing she knew too much. Ah, good times.
                Wait, why did the other hunters kill her?

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Working...
                X