[2E Preview] Teamwork & Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E Preview] Teamwork & Tactics

Just saw this pop up on the front page. Reading it now.

Link

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Well, I really do like the presentation of Tactics and Teamwork in 2e. Working together against the darkness is, after all, a very important theme in Hunter. I must say the presentation makes Tactics feel much more, well, tactical- instead of them being a set of "group powers", they feel much more like something improvised that the cell pulls together in order to deal with a specific problem. The distinction between the two process is also presented in a very interesting manner. Anyway, I do hope that the future previews would be more setting inclined, as the vast majority of the previews until now seem to be mostly about mechanics (some blurb about slashers, conspiracies, compacts or the Vigil in general could be really nice, IMO)

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Looks good, looks cleaner and having built in "Limits" for the Die pools should make the tactics more controllable.

Guess its time to start converting old tactics to the new format now we know it.

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
      So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

"It is strongly recommended cells may employ one Tactic once per day or session without penalty. "

Interesting that they are keeping in "Tactical Fatigue" in some form, I'd thought it would get the axe.

Controlled immolation is back, and gives us a good look at how the tactics will probably change. Over all it seems more effective, setting someone on fire is nice but setting them on fire and giving them the Blind tilt can be really helpful for more powerful creatures. Which goes into some of its new weaknesses, this is a contested action now, Stamina+Athletics+Potency, three dice additions which would get nasty for creatures that are already tough or hard to hit. No free damage there, and the help of the secondary actors is still meh (1/3 of 1/3 the dice pool in success. Someone with 9 dice would add an average of 1 success to the primary actor, and you'd need 18 dice to add just 2 average successes). Since a team would need at least three people to do this one, a competent team would get around 2 extra success at minimum (sacrificing two dice pools to do so). Sending more people to help the action do better will generally be less effective than using your full dice pool to do things. Having three guys use Controlled Immolation on the vampire then another guy coming in to stake him while he is Blinded a good example of how this could be used for lower t teamwork . On the bright side, if you do succeed you are very likely to get an Exceptional Success. No rotes either.

Corral doesn't change as much, still contested (changed to three dice pools with one now being a skill). Its Exceptional Success is also slightly different. I wouldn't really consider it a combat tactic, though you could theoretically send the target into a significant amount of explosives .

Overall, they also seem to be more accessible. Now all the actor's don't need a fairly long list of prerequisites to use it, unless they are hiding. It also looks like they arn't something you have to buy with experience anymore?

Comment

There is one thing I'm trying to wrap my head around concerning the Controlled Immolation Tactic. The target is set on fire, with secondary actors rolling to contain the blaze. Then, something distracts them and they stop applying the Tactic. Instead of the fire spreading, it goes out immediatelly (as per rules). What happens, in-character?

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
            There is one thing I'm trying to wrap my head around concerning the Controlled Immolation Tactic. The target is set on fire, with secondary actors rolling to contain the blaze. Then, something distracts them and they stop applying the Tactic. Instead of the fire spreading, it goes out immediatelly (as per rules). What happens, in-character?
            I'd guess the others stop since not setting everything else on fire is part of the goal.

In other words, the fire doesn't just go out because you stop containing it, the other actors stop applying limited amounts of flame so it doesn't go wrong. The Tactic fails, so the other actors stop what they are doing too.
            Last edited by Vent0; 09-26-2018, 06:38 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Ah... yes. I can see the intent. Thank you!

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

(After reading the T&T preview) - Are Tactics now free? Cause blog post seems to imply thy work 'like Teamwork BUT...' - and cost of Tactics is not pointed.

LGBT+ in CoD games
                Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Per the enclosed text, Tactics now require the primary actor to spend a point of Willpower. So, they don’t cost beats/experience to use.
                  The write-ups are in their entirety, but I am making tweaks to ensure all the components are there. Instead of a long list of Skill requirements, the dice pools are what you use for the Tactics. And, in some cases I need to spell out that the minimum number of hunters involved will depend on the Tactic and/or recommend other tweaks like Tilts.
                  Corral, for example, will run very differently if you’re in the sewers versus an open field.
                  Prerequisites need a little work. Generally speaking, my personal development philosophy is not to spend lots of word count on a single rule, so the average text-length will be reduced to ensure we’re not wordy and we can fit more in. That said, I’m looking at consistency to ensure nothing is “lost” during development.
                  I asked the question about Experience costs and the lack of requirements for the sample tactics and got the above response – This sounds like a great change overall – cannot wait for 2e.

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                  So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Originally posted by LordofIron View Post

I asked the question about Experience costs and the lack of requirements for the sample tactics and got the above response – This sounds like a great change overall – cannot wait for 2e.
                    That will probably add more to their usefulness more than anything. Some tactics are fairly niche, having them all available to all hunters all the time opens up a lot more tricks (well, assuming you fit the now-looser requirements :V). The extra effects some seem to have will make them a bit stronger, though the dice pools will likely be lower than before.

Comment

I also imagine with the general changes to 2e monsters will be bigger and badder (More defence and the general willpower combat rebalance) so I suppose the tactics being more versatile and open is only fair for the hunters.

Comment

Working...
                      X