Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slashers and Bomb Collars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slashers and Bomb Collars

    I remember playing FNV: Dead Money and your character was fitted with a slave collar that was rigged to explode. I was wondering: could someone catch a Slasher of any particular variety and stick on a bomb collar to make that Slasher a personal killing machine? I could envision a Null Mysteriis Cataclymicist cell trying pull this stunt for SCIENCE!.

  • #2
    I mean you could, but why? The only one that sounds like a useful weapon would be a Mask or maybe a powerful Legend and I don't think a bomb collar would bother them too much. The Mask would just tank the blast like all combat damage. The Legend would just inevitably disobey it in the course of mindlessly following their mythos, and then come back without it when the stars align or a bunch of teens try to hide evidence of vehicular manslaughter or whatever event activates them. The rest are just humans with a couple tricks and an urge to kill. You try to do this to a Maniac to get a planning consultant, they'll probably just turn you into their personal murder cult before you can say "the hunter has become the hunted".I guess a Mutant could be powerful enough to want as a weapon while still having enough of a survival instinct to make a show of obeying. Still, not sure how either of them fare against the far easier and more powerful weapon: a crapton of guns all firing at once. Take that, Mask durability!

    EDIT: Also, studying them for science is a different issue that I'm not sure how the bomb collar interacts with. I mean, what data can you get from observing them kill that you couldn't get from interviews, brain scans and vivisection?


    A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

    Comment


    • #3
      Now, implanted incendiaries in Vampires and you are getting somewhere.


      Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Extant Reality View Post
        I could envision a Null Mysteriis Cataclymicist cell trying pull this stunt for SCIENCE!.
        It doesn't seem like it would involve science at all, though.

        That said this is a pretty standard trope, to the point that it was called out in Dogs of War with their Zero Company, who have explosive collars around their neck. It's implied to be run by other vampires, which makes sense, since some vampires would be able to easily get it off if a human was in charge.

        Similarly with slashers it seems like it would work better with other slashers doing it, since slashers are good at killing other humans, and not necessarily good at killing monsters. In fact many of their standard methods would fail against supernaturals.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
          I mean you could, but why? The only one that sounds like a useful weapon would be a Mask or maybe a powerful Legend and I don't think a bomb collar would bother them too much. The Mask would just tank the blast like all combat damage. The Legend would just inevitably disobey it in the course of mindlessly following their mythos, and then come back without it when the stars align or a bunch of teens try to hide evidence of vehicular manslaughter or whatever event activates them. The rest are just humans with a couple tricks and an urge to kill. You try to do this to a Maniac to get a planning consultant, they'll probably just turn you into their personal murder cult before you can say "the hunter has become the hunted".I guess a Mutant could be powerful enough to want as a weapon while still having enough of a survival instinct to make a show of obeying. Still, not sure how either of them fare against the far easier and more powerful weapon: a crapton of guns all firing at once. Take that, Mask durability!

          EDIT: Also, studying them for science is a different issue that I'm not sure how the bomb collar interacts with. I mean, what data can you get from observing them kill that you couldn't get from interviews, brain scans and vivisection?
          Actually I was thinking this topic over and I figured on asking about Tilts and Conditions affecting willfulness and obedience in collared subjects. I suppose that supernatural killers would be hard to break and control. Is there some kind of Subdued Tilt/Condition you could inflict long-term on a supernatural (Slasher, Hemophage, etc.)?

          I was trying for a story hook involving a Slasher being used as a tool by a mysterious party. Gotta develop that story plot!
          Last edited by Extant Reality; 03-17-2019, 05:34 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            There is also the issue that they could remove them with enough time, unless you can create a perfect monitoring system that works anywhere. Plus its not a discrete method. Its why the explosives on the Suicide Squad use hypertech, a lot of what ifs can mess up the system.

            You could just do it via a transorbital lobotomy, effectively breaking the Slasher's will. Then use the same channel to install a piece of salvaged and jury rigged God Machine tech that makes them think they are the Angels and your hunter is the God Machine. It leaves no surgical scar, so it will have a marked effect while the cause will not be immediately obvious to the players. Plus it can go horribly wrong as the tech grows, merges or evolves by itself to reconfigure the Slasher into their new role. Or the GM might want the tech back, or the Slasher eventually learns to take control or merge with it, like a tech version of Carnage from Spider-Man.
            Last edited by KaiserAfini; 03-21-2019, 06:07 PM.


            New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

            The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
            The Szary Stra┼╝nik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
              Plus it can go horribly wrong as the tech grows, merges or evolves by itself to reconfigure the Slasher into their new role. Or the GM might want the tech back, or the Slasher eventually learns to take control or merge with it, like a tech version of Carnage from Spider-Man.
              Good thing I like unexpected results then! Thanks for the idea, Kaiser. I had no idea you could use Infrastructure that way. It makes me wonder what else you could build with it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Yep. They are often messing with forces beyond their Ken and are probably at least retconned into being Stigmatics after D:tD came out, but normal humans can figure out ways to operate and even crudely modify discarded Infrastructure without fully understanding it according to plot hooks in the corebook. Infrastructure is described as backdoors in the metaphorical code that is the laws of reality that the GM inserted into the code at the beginning of time, either through time travel or just being there. The GM has the most complete intel on how they work and where they exist, but anyone can exploit them if they find them and avoid getting erased from time for some inscrutable reason that probably boils down to "it doesnt know" or "it doesnt care" or "congrats, you are part of its plan". At the very least, as long as they survive and become Stigmatic, they can operate old, unused Infrastructure through trial and error. While anyone in the know is rushing to stop them before they accidentally press the button combo that leads to the supertornados or worse


                A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, I guess those hunters and mortals are pretty foolhardy in their messing about with Things that Man was not Meant to Tamper With. Sounds a lot like the premise of Genius: the Transgression if you ask me. I found out about the "Gleipner Restraints" in Night Stalkers for TFV's Advanced Armory Endowment and I got to thinking why don't I make a thing like that at least fluff wise (I ain't so good at game mechanics). I called them the Fenris├║lfr Locks, a highly experiemental version of Gleipner Restraints that lets a TFV cell basically strong arm a Slasher or humanoid monster into fighting or whatever via a system of artificial muscle fibers and a new type of exo-brace system that locks at the neck and onto the arms to restrain the prisoner/weapon. I am guessing it will either be a 4 or 5-dot uh...thing.
                  Last edited by Extant Reality; 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM. Reason: Sentence structure

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X