Supernaturals joining/working for Compacts or Conspiracies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernaturals joining/working for Compacts or Conspiracies

Deep in the bowels of a top secret research facility, an Obrimos Libertine leverages her Supernal knowledge to build a better monster killer for Task Force: Valkyrie. She doesn't always agree with everything the government does, what Libertine does?, but humanity deserves a fighting chance and at least TF:V distinguishes between good monsters and bad monsters most of the time. Plus, this feeds a little bit of Supernal knowledge indirectly into the world in a way that might cause others to break through and Awaken.

He's a member of the Ordo Dracul, sure, but first and foremost he's a medical research scientist; and the folks at Cheiron Group pay well and provide plenty of experimental tissue... and subjects. As long as his work turns a profit or keeps agents in the field the Cheiron Group is happy, and as long as he passes on what he learns to the Ordo Dracul and minimizes information flow the other way the Kogaion is willing to allow the dual loyalty.

You never really felt like you fit in, and one night you didn't even fit into your own skin anymore. You transformed into a snarling beast, a werewolf, and that freaked you out. A group of werewolves tried to bring you in, Fire Speakers or Dancers or some shit, but they blabbed on about religious bullshit and ancient wars. But then this cute guy at the bar invited you to a "club." Except it wasn't a dance club, it was a meeting of the
    Ashwood Abbey, and man, they make a good "pack."

This is not about Supernaturals co-opting a Hunter Cell, Compact, or Conspiracy; rather I'm curious how everyone feels about a member of a Supernatural splat legitimately joining and working for a Hunter organization, especially at a support level.

I'm building a more fleshed out backstory for one of my NPCs, an Obrimos Libertine with the Thaumatech Engineer legacy (in my sig), and felt like working as Task Force: Valkyrie R&D would suit the character.

Do you like the idea? Hate the idea? Would such a relationship be measured as Status or Allies? Which groups do you think would be most accepting of such an arrangement and which the least?

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

This is not about Supernaturals co-opting a Hunter Cell, Compact, or Conspiracy; rather I'm curious how everyone feels about a member of a Supernatural splat legitimately joining and working for a Hunter organization, especially at a support level.
    I don't really see the issue. Like, if it's a mage game who cares? That said, there's potentially not a lot of difference between co-option and legitimately joining or supporting.

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
    Would such a relationship be measured as Status or Allies?
    If your character is a mage then maybe Mystery Cult Influence.

Which groups do you think would be most accepting of such an arrangement and which the least?
    I think there's enough wiggle room for most combinations. Like it'd depend a lot on how harsh your ST makes the Conspiracies as well as how they organise them. Like, the MM or AKD might be really against working with certain groups but it's not obvious that either can really enforce that (unless your ST give their higher-ups some uber-endowment).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't really see the issue. Like, if it's a mage game who cares? That said, there's potentially not a lot of difference between co-option and legitimately joining or supporting.

If your character is a mage then maybe Mystery Cult Influence.

I think there's enough wiggle room for most combinations. Like it'd depend a lot on how harsh your ST makes the Conspiracies as well as how they organise them. Like, the MM or AKD might be really against working with certain groups but it's not obvious that either can really enforce that (unless your ST give their higher-ups some uber-endowment).
      I am the ST in question, and it's not a Mage game, per se. I'm just curious what other people's opinions on the matter are for their games.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

I'm actually playing this, right now. My Beast character is working with a small local Hunter compact to run down and eliminate (not necessarily kill) supernatural threats that they simply cannot handle themselves. This works because early on he was straightforward about what he is and what he does, and did not sugarcoat one bit. Then proceeded to terminate what was essentially Jason Voorhees the following day with extreme prejudice.

All in all, it's an idea i personally like.

Comment

I'd say there's totally precedent for supernaturals helping humans take down monsters. Look at the old stories of dhampir using their half-vampire powers to help hunt down full vampires.

So I'd say, go for it, as long as it makes sense! If an Ordo vampire goes to the Malmal and says "hey I'm a vampire trying to tell God to go fuck Himself, can I join you?" that's unlikely to end well. But if a Changeling goes to the Union and says "hey, I was just an ordinary person until I got stolen away by the Fair Folk, I escaped, and now a Loyalist is trying to help them steal more people again", that's a totally different story. Some groups are openly welcoming of monsters: Yuri's Group just wants to help them overcome their hunger, and if a psyvamp starts coming to support groups willingly, why turn them away?

Comment

The real superpower that Hunters have is human pragmatism. They're there to get the job done, and if that means bending the rules? So be it. They're "on mission" and that mission is to weed out the predators from the sheep and slaughter them to protect the flock. Turning a wolf into a sheepdog is an accomplishment to be warily proud of, even if it really boils down to "we kill that one last".

Where last is tacitly understood to be indefinitely postponed, by those who know the extent of the supernatural problem.

Others? Well if you're too rigid as a hunter you're going to get broken. Eventually. The true "extent of the supernatural problem" in the CofD is, if you were to lump all splatbooks together, overwhelmingly immense. Becoming a hunter means resolving the cognitive dissonance of exposure to that truth by going out to re-establish human dominance; dominance that, again, comes from being in control and in charge. Not necessarily killing everything you can label "not human". Just... in charge.

But handle it on a case-by-case basis.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
              The real superpower that Hunters have is human pragmatism. They're there to get the job done, and if that means bending the rules? So be it.
              I can't say that I see much evidence of that. In fact, the opposite seems to be the more common case.

Comment

Probably depends on what Cell, Compact or Conspiracy you join, different ones would allow different monsters. Trying to Join the Long Night is probably a very, very bad idea, and Yuri's Group is just AA for Vampires and beast. Utopia Now likely would be weary of any demon's trying to join them, but since both try and destroy the god machine's infrastructure, they make a saboteurs best friend. The Cainite Legacy likely would brutally murder any vamps that try to join them though, Any alliance between the Aegis Kai Doru and one of the Arisen is bound to end in failure, but VASCU would be great buddies with any sin-eater in the area, Les Mystere;s is likely to work with the Pure, so if your playing a Pure game of werewolf, they would be your best friends.

Comment

When it comes to supernaturals joining the Compacts and Conspiracies, then what it ultimately falls down to is pragmatism and preference. I could totally see a loose cease fire between the Union and the Carthian Movement, due to their being the blue collars of their respective societies. I'm actually hoping an ST of mine when he runs vampire to let my character be in the Loyalists of Thule due to something he did back in 1930-1940s Germany.

Comment

Regarding specifically Task Force Valkyrie they generally have no problem recruiting supernaturals as assets or allies, but there are some caveats:

1) They're still probably going to keep them at arms length. Even if a supernatural were fully brought into the fold they'd probably never rise above Status 1, at least assuming they were known to be supernatural and weren't a recruit who was hiding it.

2) There's always going to be a specific purpose to the arrangement, a quid pro quo. TFV has shadowy alliances with vampires where the vamps provide them with badly needed funding and in return TFV turns a blind eye to the specific machinations of their patrons, though not all vampires. TFV lends a hand to freshly escaped Changelings they come across by setting them up with new identities in exchange for the Changelings acting as contacts and informants when called upon.

3) There may be an expiration date. Alliances last as long as the shared interest or threat will sustain them, and even long-running ops eventually get folded up. Anyone dealing with TFV should be mindful that they can always end up on a burn list or find themselves suddenly a loose end in need of tying off.

Comment

Working...
                    X