SCP Foundation .... a new conspriacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCP Foundation .... a new conspriacy

For those that have never seen the site its http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/main so .... the SCP Foundation as a Hunter Conspiracy ... it might work ..

I mined the crap out of this website for a game. Love it. It could be a great conspiracy, but I would worry it would step on the thematic toes of TFV and Cheiron. Also, the Foundation seems to have unlimited resources, where even Cheiron is limited in funding and influence. I would totally use it, however, for a more gonzo, Warehouse 13 style campaign. That would be awesome.

Comment

Honestly they seem more like a Seers of the Throne project. Seers have the resources, the motivation, and the amoral nature, and would justify the rumour that their boss is a guy who can manipulate reality.

Take their redshirts for example, they're supposedly death row inmates that are killed at the end of the month every month (never mind there couldn't possible be that many people on death row in the world to sustain that), or they kidnap people at random and claim they're death row inmates.

So either they're the biggest kidnapping ring in history, or they're in the habit of killing more muggles than the monsters do. I can't see the hunter community putting up with them and their antics, even if they didn't actively step on the toes of multiple conspiracies: They study monsters like cheiron, capture relics like aegis, and hoard advanced technology like valkyrie.

Comment

Aw, beat me to it.

I have to agree with the above posters, though. The American government already has VASCU and Valkyrie, and unlike the SCP-verse, anomalous items are rather rare - there are what...1500 - 1700 or so entries?

How many vampires exist in New York alone? And unlike SCPs, most imbued items, fetishes, or other items of power don't show any outward sign of their nature.

The Foundation might exist better as a compact - I'll suggest a group of mortal occultists. They aren't some ancient, secret society. They're new. They don't have hidden libraries of occult lore, or pacts with ancient spirits. They dredge bookstores, trying to separate the genuine from the new-age garbage. They go through flea markets, ignoring the looks they get as they mumble magic-detection charms, hoping to find a gem hidden among mundane dross. They dig through microfilm and news archives, looking for patterns of strange occurrences that might indicate a Place Of Power.

And when they find something, or think they find something, they grab it, stuff it in a box, bring it back to the lair, draw some wards, put down a few lines of salt, close the blast shutters, and start poking it. They've got a warehouse or two of 'could be magical, but we're not sure' stuff they hang on to.

status comes from finding new magic for the group, through research or salvage.

Endowments allow access to info, huge piles of possibly-magical occult nick-knacks, and if you're really lucky, the good stuff - Working magical items with an instruction manual, or education in minor, but very real working sorcery.

Comment

I say we go with Quanutmshard’s idea!

Now, here are some questions I believe should be asked to help flesh them out;
          How aware is the average member of the supernatural world beyond the various magical trinkets, and how aware is the supernatural world of them (including other Hunters)?
          What Stereotypes do they hold for the various Cells, Compacts, Conspiracies and Supernatural Splats (be they Major or Minor, Canonical or Homebrew), and vice-versa?
          Are they only interested in research, or are they willing to get their hands dirty?
          Do they (wittingly or not) have any supernatural members?
          How about equivalents to the various SCP characters, like Max Lombardi or Dr. Bright?
          How would they document and categorise the various magical odds and ends they’ve gathered?
          How are they structured?
          What’s their general philosophy and goals?

Etc, etc. I think you all get the idea.

Edit: Just checked date on previous post. I think I’ll remake this thread. Will provide a link when it’s up.
          Last edited by TerrorCooper; 11-20-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post
            Honestly they seem more like a Seers of the Throne project. Seers have the resources, the motivation, and the amoral nature, and would justify the rumour that their boss is a guy who can manipulate reality.

Take their redshirts for example, they're supposedly death row inmates that are killed at the end of the month every month (never mind there couldn't possible be that many people on death row in the world to sustain that), or they kidnap people at random and claim they're death row inmates.

So either they're the biggest kidnapping ring in history, or they're in the habit of killing more muggles than the monsters do. I can't see the hunter community putting up with them and their antics, even if they didn't actively step on the toes of multiple conspiracies: They study monsters like cheiron, capture relics like aegis, and hoard advanced technology like valkyrie.
            Seers all the way... Secure and Contain? Why not profit from the creatures, why not help people with the resources they have, why no conquer the world? But if you are a Seer you laready profit from the world, you dont want to help anybody but yourself, and you already own the world. Avoiding the end of the earth would be a fitting mission for a Seer. Not out of altruism but self interest: the people you exploit, rape, abuse, murder need to exist in first place for you to be able to do all those things.

Comment

This sort of thread already kind of happened a while back ago

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...r-conspiracies

Comment

Working...
              X