Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are Slasher So Popular and why are they returning in Second edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wouldn't Slashers return in 2e? Aren't they antagonists for Hunters?

Comment

why are they different mechanics in real life serial killers are not monsters there people/

Comment

Depends, Slashers can be split up into two groups, one is where their just like Hunters. Mostly human, the second group are slashers where they get caught up into something supernatural and becomes a literal monster because of it

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
          why are they different mechanics in real life serial killers are not monsters there people/
          Have you actually read the Slashers book? Scourge tier get explicitly supernatural powers in line with explicitly supernatural killers from fiction, while Ripper tiers have more limited mechanical benefits in line with more grounded depictions of serial killers.

Comment

scourges are explicitly supernatural. rippers are on the edge of being supernatural. their special abilities are more grounded and fit their respective slasher tropes

Comment

Maybe read Slashers, because yes, there are different mechanics.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Also... Hunters have different mechanics from normal humans in the system even in Tier 1 Cells with literally nothing going for them besides the emotional catharsis of standing up to fight the monsters in the darkness. Things like their WP rules, Tactics, and even some Endowments have no in-universe reason to be exclusive to Hunters.. but they are.

As Slashers are the dark foils of Hunters, they too get some mechanical stuff.

Comment

Konradleijon, I'm curious. Not too long ago you were excited for a possible return of Lansing Facility from Slashers.
                  Link
                  Did you change your mind about the subject since then?

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Shit kind of .ive been Reading about disability rights and shit.

And I wanted the Lansing Facilty more as A Prison for Creatures of the night .

I guess I don’t hurt Slashers completely, I just think there Boring,

Comment

Shit kind of .ive been Reading about disability rights and shit.

And I wanted the Lansing Facilty more as A Prison for Creatures of the night .

I guess I don’t hurt Slashers completely, I just think there Boring,
                      I mean, it is a long running problem in the genre, and it's not like Slasher doesn't go into that-but even then, the ableist tropes are not played as the reason why Slasher are Slashers, playing with those factors while not demonizing those factors. Further exploration on the subject can only do better.

As for being boring, eh, I get it. Up until we got the recent information on them, I thought Belial's Brood was boring. Once upon a time I used to really hate the Winter Court, until I ran a game where I made them the center of my conflict for Hunters and forced them (and myself) to confront the complexity and humanity of them. I never really dug Inferno and Immortals.

But going back to the Winter Court for a second, sometimes it pays to go into something, really dig why we have a problem, and then try and create a counter-case all our own. We tend to be better devil's advocates than others, and some real examination can actually radically change our opinion (I don't now love Winter, but I have a fondness for them).

In this case, it sounds more like you're letting the overall problems with the Slasher Genre cloud your opinions on what could be cool, what could be be done better, and what is actually a problem for you about Chronicles' Slasher. And hey, I get that.

But maybe have a second look. They still bore you, boredom's a thing that happen. It's fine. But maybe, at least, you might get why some people make their defense.

(That said, Slashers were my legit second favorite antagonists, after the Centimani, who I wanted to play as.)

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

You make a great point Arcane!

Comment

OK Konradleijon can you.... actually make a case for once?

You do things like, "...I just think [they're] Boring." a lot, without any reasoning or even basic demonstration of what's in the text.

It's not really conducive to discussions, it frequently steers threads into frustrated debates, and so on. I comes off exceedingly like you want your preferences and opinions to be stated as facts, unchallenged, and you want us to be here to affirm them. It's unpleasant.

If you want a place to post whatever you don't like that's stuck in your craw today... start a blog. Otherwise can you please try to actually engage us in a conversation? This isn't about us "defeating" you. This is about us trying to communicate why we disagree in a fashion that maybe might make the other person see things in a different light. Maybe you can make a good case against Slashers that needs to be heard. Maybe one of us says something about them that finally gets them to click for you.

Just posting a new tangent of a new thing you dislike whenever the thread isn't going according to your preconceptions just feels like you want to freely bash whatever you want and don't want the rest of us to say anything if we disagree; and again, that's what a blog is for.

Comment

^Seconded.

Comment

I think that the Slashers have the appeal of being something that is REAL. Tangible. You can find actual numbers for serial killers on the internet.
                              Now, you put that through the lens of an rpg that has demons and mages, then you need to amp that up and give it a bit of an OOF. So they have special abilities to make them more fearsome and to cause them to be a challenge to beings who have access to ghost seeing technology or else beings descended from demons.

Any book or splat can be boring TO YOU but not to others. As such, if you are the ST, then you do not need to have them in your game. No muss and no fuss. But if you are not the GM and others wish to play a splat, then you do not need to worry about if it is boring or not. To someone else, it may be exciting. Fresh. Also, if you are not the ST and your ST does wish to include them in the game, then give the ST the benefit of the doubt and see if they can spin an exciting story out of it. For example, if you found Changeling boring but the ST uses a member of the Gentry as the main antagonist of the game? Who knows? The enemy could be exciting to go up against. It could give you unexpected thrills and moments of adrenaline or terror to face off against the Gentry.

Comment

I think there may be a more basic element at work. If you divide what the books are about, they're either one-off types of monsters, or they're about hunting versions of the other lines. Slasher is the one place that the line really gets to go really in-depth on something unique to itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X