Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying to think of a twist. Need some help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to think of a twist. Need some help.

So I am running a tier 1 Hunter game in Philadelphia. My players are after a Freddy Kruger expy. I am trying to throw a twist that will completely surprise them but I am worried it might be slightly ridiculous.

The slasher in question isn't human at all but is actually a dream entity composed of the cells worst nightmares
    Last edited by Pierrew; 04-22-2019, 02:09 PM.

Originally posted by Pierrew View Post
    So I am running a tier 1 Hunter game in Philadelphia. My players are after a Freddy Kruger expy. I am trying to throw a twist that will completely surprise them but I am worried it might be slightly ridiculous.

The slasher in question isn't human at all but is actually a dream entity composed of the cells worst nightmares
    So what exactly has happened so far, and what are preconceptions of the players are you hoping to twist?

Remember, the point of a twist is a certain amount of recontextualization, a point of enlightenment or revelation (dread as it may be), so from what little we have here, my instincts lead towards a theme of coming to embrace their own nightmares, but that's my uninformed view-that might not work out with any of the character's arcs.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      So what exactly has happened so far, and what are preconceptions of the players are you hoping to twist?

Remember, the point of a twist is a certain amount of recontextualization, a point of enlightenment or revelation (dread as it may be), so from what little we have here, my instincts lead towards a theme of coming to embrace their own nightmares, but that's my uninformed view-that might not work out with any of the character's arcs.
      Most of my characters have being jumping off the slippery slope for quite a while. So my characters have had close contacts of theirs murdered in brutal and in extremely ironic ways with mocking notes congratulating their ambiguous acts. So I send them a red herring about a old slasher with the same M.O. who had died years ago. Who has returned from the dead and is somehow reading their minds.

I am trying to make the characters consider the past and whether their actions are justified

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post

Most of my characters have being jumping off the slippery slope for quite a while. So my characters have had close contacts of theirs murdered in brutal and in extremely ironic ways with mocking notes congratulating their ambiguous acts. So I send them a red herring about a old slasher with the same M.O. who had died years ago. Who has returned from the dead and is somehow reading their minds.

I am trying to make the characters consider the past and whether their actions are justified

Comment

Any of the characters have any small children?

Comment

If this isn't the Cell's first Hunt, then you could have said Slasher have been dream-created it whathaveyou due to something they did in their prior Hunt. Even if it's just a revenge story (they killed a Vampire who was dating a Changeling), it's still neat to make them recall a prior arc.

If it's their first Hunt, but they've been acting violently so far the have it have manifested because of how strong their desire for Hunting is.

Comment

So one big thing to twist the knife is to go an extra step beyond-not only reflecting thing negative actions they've commited, but also embodying the ideals they've abandoned. Find ways to allow the Nightmare to be the hero, to be the better person. Let the two sides of the Nightmare dance around and contrast each other, and make it clear that they way it behaves in in condemnation of what they could have been and chose not to be. Make it's banes and bans related to them either punishing themselves or commiting acts that seem to indicate a true turnaround, and otherwise make it hella hard to deal with them the other normal ways.

Let the monster represent a duality that embodies their true worst nightmares-the betrayal of anything and everything they were.

And if they beat it and don't change, congratulations! Hunters aren't good guys, but your play group will have officially become the bad guys! You can stop playing nice with them after that!(in game, out of game, you still want to play nice, though if this is a real problem, you might need to have a heart-to heart about how the game should go.)

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

1. Perhaps the Slasher was summoned by someone as an act of revenge against the players. Whoever the culprit is, they were otherwise innnocent until the PCs got invovled.

2. The Slasher was once an innocent victim of fanatical Hunters, which was the event that made him go off the deep end.

3. The Slasher was crippled by the event that should have killed him. However, he has learned to Astrally project, and PCs actions inspired him to return from retirement.

~

Comment

By "Jumping off the slippery slope" I think that you mean that they are using violence in cases where it is not justified. I might have the Slasher set up a situation where the players go for the violent solution and kill their innocent friends. For example, the party chases the Slasher to a fuel storage shed and elects to set fire to it only to hear the screams of Aunt Fritzy who was tied up inside, or the players try to snipe the Slasher through a window to only discover that it was little Johnny tied up to a pole. This would be elegant if you could get the party to use methods the "Slasher" is reputed to have used, showing that they are no different. You could also have the police investigate actions of the party members as if they were all part of the Slasher's crime spree. As the police sort through evidence, how will the players explain that while they did set fire to that building, this was completely different from that horrible fire the Slasher set off.

Comment

This may be an inept suggestion on my part, but here I go: make the supposed Slasher a creature of Fae origin since he is all dream-stalker and whatnot. They wouldn't see that coming when they shoot him and the bullets do nothing to him or something cuz Contracts or whatever they are called now. (I really need to read up on Changeling 2.0)

Comment

If you really want to punish them for past misdeeds having the slasher use tactics similar to those used by the Joker from the Dark Night movie is one possibility. Make the players choose between being too slow or too reckless and then have it all have been pointless after the fact hurting any credibility they had.
                      If handled poorly this is really annoying so think before you use it.

Comment

So quick update. I combined all your suggestions for the slasher and threw it at the players. It was one of the best sessions we ever had.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

We would love to hear what happened if you ever have some time to spare.

~

Comment

Working...
                          X