Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Supernaturals could Ally with or just work with Hunters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Supernaturals could Ally with or just work with Hunters?

If a mage (either Awakening or Ascension) were to discover he and a group of hunters were both trying to defend a town against vampires, could they become real allies? Or would it only be a temporary convenience?

Could a changeling line up with Hunters against the Keepers? Or the Formians?

What works in your campaign?

It would be fun to run a demon whose Cover allows them to work as a Hunter. They'd be able to steer the group to fight the GodMachine but have to keep their true nature secret from the others in the group. Alternatively, they could spoof being in another splat, working with the Hunters. In fact, given the nature of demons there could be more than one in the group and they might not know that anyone else is a demon.

"Hey, wait a minute. Is anyone not a demon in this group?"

Comment

And the God Machine is such a nasty foe. I could see a demon explaining to a conservative religious Hunter that the "God Machine" was a blasphemy trying to supplant God. If he could convince the Hunter of this, and get him to see him ( the Demon) as a victim fighting back, the Demon might have a fine ally.

Comment

I think Ashwood Abbey could feasibly ally with any splat in the right context.
        Otherwise individuals might ally with individual splats given enough GM discretion but I don't think there are any other specific group that would seek to ally with a particular splat by default. Some of the conspiracies seem more flexible than others though.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
          Which Supernaturals could Ally with or just work with Hunters?
          Given the correct circumstances, all of them. The big obstacle here is that certain hunter groups might not accept cooperating with certain supernaturals.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Gravitas Man View Post
            I think Ashwood Abbey could feasibly ally with any splat in the right context.
            Otherwise individuals might ally with individual splats given enough GM discretion but I don't think there are any other specific group that would seek to ally with a particular splat by default. Some of the conspiracies seem more flexible than others though.
            I would imagine that certain groups would seek to not ally with particular splats, though. The Malmal has a particular grudge against vampires, for example, and the AKD against awoos.

Comment

Its all depends on said splat having a reason to work with them. If the hunters attack their enemies or their mission can be repurposed to push the agenda of the supernaturals, an alliance is likely to happen. Various degrees of mediation, failsafes and logistics would then be utilized to suit the situation. But its possibly the most stable and reliable type of cooperation.

On the other hand, if the hunters simply point their efforts away from anything the supernaturals care about, then an alliance could be brokered by either side being hired as mercenary work. Its certainty a less stable option, but could prove sufficiently effective. So long as they don't step on each other's toes, each side can ignore the other save for these occasions, which could still be mutually beneficial.

So at the end of the day, it all depends on context.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                So at the end of the day, it all depends on context.
                Yes, taking even the most stereotypical monster or hunter from assorted compacts and conspiracies you could find ways for them to work together or refuse to. And the hunters opinion on matters could be avoided by not introducing yourself as a monster. Most gamelines, even hunter, work under a masquerade of some sort that encourages them to hide their nature and deeds.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Yes, taking even the most stereotypical monster or hunter from assorted compacts and conspiracies you could find ways for them to work together or refuse to. And the hunters opinion on matters could be avoided by not introducing yourself as a monster. Most gamelines, even hunter, work under a masquerade of some sort that encourages them to hide their nature and deeds.
                  Yep, just look at how successful Panopticon were with Division Six, vampires with TFV and so on. Indirectly manipulating hunters to be on your payroll can be very powerful. But I imagined the original intent of the question was for open cooperation. However, if they start at opposite ends to unravel a Conspiracy or similar, the supernaturals by exposing the people at the top and the hunters questioning inconsistencies from the bottom, then an alliance becomes more likely as they both realize they are closing into the same core problem.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

Yep, just look at how successful Panopticon were with Division Six, vampires with TFV and so on. Indirectly manipulating hunters to be on your payroll can be very powerful. But I imagined the original intent of the question was for open cooperation. However, if they start at opposite ends to unravel a Conspiracy or similar, the supernaturals by exposing the people at the top and the hunters questioning inconsistencies from the bottom, then an alliance becomes more likely as they both realize they are closing into the same core problem.
                    See also the Contagion.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

From my personal perspective taking part in a few Chronicles of Darkness crossover games, it's not monstrous visages and freaky powers that influence whether Hunters and other splats can get together, but how well their motivations and goals align.

Forsaken Werewolves hunt spirits and keep the balance between worlds. Geists lay restless ghosts to rest. Changelings fight to protect their communities from eldritch kidnappers. Each of these splats can have terrifyingly inhuman 'True Forms'...but their lifestyles are actually something Hunters can grok.

Mages may be the most physically human splat, but their obsession with chasing Mysteries and ascending from the Fallen World can make their mindsets feel alien to a Hunter perspective (or the perspective of my Hunter PCs, at least). I can definitively see the Investigative-minded "Mulder" Hunter getting along with a high-Wisdom Mage under the right circumstances, particularly if they're investigating the same phenomena

In short: if a supernatural splat has a faction that 'Hunts' a threat to the world in some way, that faction will have common ground with upper-case H Hunters, common ground that can be used to build a genuine accord.

Comment

Working...
                      X