No announcement yet.

Hunter: the Vigil 2E Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In preparing for the Kickstarter from this week Monday Meeting Notes. Kickstarter starts 2pm EST on February 6th!

Hunter: The Vigil Second Edition includes all the rules you need to play a hunter in a tier-one, -two, or -three chronicle.
    • Chapter One: Provides an overview of a hunter’s world; the history of the hunt; the types of hunters you can play; and three, separate types of gameplay included in this book: tiers one, two, and three.
    • Chapter Two: Compacts and Conspiracies are specialized hunter organizations that may be used for tier-two or -three games. In this chapter, you’ll read more about Hunter lore and the history of the compacts and conspiracies, find write-ups for six compacts and six conspiracies, along with rules for tier-three Endowments and how to make them.
    • Chapter Three: Allows you to build and customize a character. You’ll learn how hunters retain one foot in an unsuspecting world and another in the Vigil. Plus, you’ll discover more about the Code and how it shapes hunters’ core identities and beliefs.
    • Chapter Four: Dives into the rules for gameplay. It also offers rules for specific aspects of Hunter that includes investigation and socializing along with teamwork and Tactics.
    • Chapter Five: Offers a taste of the strange and unusual monsters hunters may come across during the hunt. Sample monsters are presented according to the type of terrain from which they originate along with notes for how these creatures may be modified. Additionally, monster-creation rules, ephemeral-entity rules, and Dread Powers are found in this chapter.
    • Chapter Six: Takes another look at the Hunter setting by introducing where monsters live, locations the supernatural has tainted, and which places are actually monsters themselves. It offers new rules to handle each type of location, along with several examples.
    • Chapter Seven: Is a sample chronicle setting. Yanked from the slasher-movie genre, the Slasher Chronicle is a horror-movie-themed setting that includes a new slasher-specific compact and conspiracy, rules for building slashers, customized approaches for tier-one, -two, and -three gameplay, new Storyteller characters, and more!
    • Chapter Eight: Offers advice for Storytellers to help build and manage a chronicle while fleshing out rules for Storyteller characters. Additional content includes advice for creating player-facing compacts and conspiracies.
    • The Appendices: Provide Equipment, Conditions, and Tilts likely to come into play in Hunter.
    And cool graphics from the new corebook

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-04-2020, 01:51 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

slasher specific compact and conspiracy? is that referring to the Hunt Club and VASCU, or something new?

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
        slasher specific compact and conspiracy? is that referring to the Hunt Club and VASCU, or something new?
        It does say new.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

It does say new.
          sigh. I apologize for my stupidity

Comment

This is going to seem like the weirdest moan ever, I know that before I even start typing, but I really wish they'd consider swapping chapters one and two in the breakdown noted above.

Every single revised CofD monster book since Blood & Smoke/VtR 2E has essentially followed the same basic structure: Introduction, Splats, Setting, Character Creation, Game Rules... and so on. The breakdown above puts the Setting before the Splats. While that is unlikely to affect anyone's enjoyment of the game it just makes me itch a little because it will lead to this book varying from a standard.

I know Mage sort of deviates from the above by separating Magic into its own chapter after character creation but it still occupies the same "space" in the book that Disciplines/Gifts/Contracts etc do in the other lines so it doesn't bother me so much.

As I say, pettiest complaint in the world but things like that just get to me.

Comment

Interesting that Endowments are found in the Splats chapter instead of the Character Creation chapter. I think it is meant to emphasis the focus around hunters as their own thing, with and without Endowments, so it won't feel that every hunter needs Endowments to function. While I am a big Endowments fan, I think that that direction could prove itself very interesting, as it does maintain the focus around what it means to be an hunter as opposed to a mortal, even without the supernatural gifts of strange organizations.

Chapter three is also very interesting- while it only mentions the Code as an example, if the focus would be around customization- meaning, making your own hunter and how it slowly differs from the common mortal- it could be really cool to see.

Chapter five and six are probably going to be the "alternative" for world building. I expect them to be easy to integrate everywhere in the world, even though that getting actual settings could also be nice.

While it does say a new conspiracy, I'm pretty sure that VASCU and the Hunt Club were said to be presented in the book. I assume we are going to see how it rolls out, because VASCU is very popular, I believe.

Chapter 8 could be cool, as it will be the support for making new organizations. Interested to see what it has to offer.

Anyway, a lot of cool stuff- even though I'm not sure how much of new information it holds, but it still leaves a place to be surprised.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

does not sound like there will be short write-up for all the other groups. hopefully I'm wrong

Comment

does not sound like there will be short write-up for all the other groups. hopefully I'm wrong
                  Chapter 2 is said to contain information about lore and history of compacts and conspiracies, so hopefully it will be there!

I must say that I really hope that some of the stretch goals and/or reward tiers would include adding more organizations for whatever future supplement created by the Kickstarter. I assume that in that theoretical addition the AKD would be the first to get picked, and hopefully the Abbey would be the second.

We'll see how it goes.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I'm interested on the monsters of the American continent,if a hunter can't headshot a wendigo,then what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                      Chapter 2 is said to contain information about lore and history of compacts and conspiracies, so hopefully it will be there!

I must say that I really hope that some of the stretch goals and/or reward tiers would include adding more organizations for whatever future supplement created by the Kickstarter. I assume that in that theoretical addition the AKD would be the first to get picked, and hopefully the Abbey would be the second.

We'll see how it goes.
                      to be honest, if I see the stretch goal "Compacts and Conspiracies vol. 2" I will be more than happy. and yeah, the relic finders and my favorite hellfire club should definitely be included in some form for the stretch goals

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                        I think Leliel refers to their presentation in the Contagion Chronicles, where they were presented as example members of Naglfar's Army. It should be mentioned, however, that the Ordo Dracul and some other "player option splats" were also presented among the False, so it does not outright means that they are considered unplayable in 2e.

Precisely. But Primordial gave me what I needed. Thanks!

Comment

Probably the "Council of Bones" they talked about a while ago, though they never dropped any hints about the compact AFAIK

Comment

ahh, I assume you basically worry they will make hunters "good guys"

If I assumed correctly, I actually agree with that. I do worry they will make hunters mostly in the right instead of the big grey area it was

I wouldn't worry about that. From the preview material already available, it seems the Code that all hunters must follow is extremely black-and-white and following the Code to the letter will be a sure way to become a zealot, which is precisely what makes the hunters grey.

For example, the Code specifies that all monsters must be killed and all humans must be protected. There is no gray area permitted. The Code dictates that vampires should be slain, even the helpful ones, and humans should be protected, even the mass-murdering ones. This is a hard line that all hunters are expected to draw. Of course, slaying an "innocent vampire" while protecting a mass-murdering human is not something most sane people would consider a "good" or "righteous" action. But that's what the Code dictates. Killing humans is against the law and if hunters were to break the law and kill fellow humans, then what makes the hunter any better than a mass-murdering criminal? How will you sleep at night when that line isn't clearly drawn? Hunter is "us versus them", and humanity is "us", everything that doesn't belong in this world (e.g. anything supernatural) is "them".

Of course, it's never that simple. Are you truly capable of pulling the trigger on an "innocent" vampire while protecting a criminal scumbag human, or will you falter and break the Code, resulting in a Breaking Point and the ire of the Vigil?
                            Last edited by Tomorrow's Nobody; 02-04-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrow's Nobody View Post
                              (..) resulting in a Breaking Point and the ire of the Vigil?
                              I generally agree with Nobody's post - I'm just interested what can be this 'ire of Vigil'? You write it like it was some force, hunting hunters - like Strix or something...

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger View Post

Probably the "Council of Bones" they talked about a while ago, though they never dropped any hints about the compact AFAIK
                                I think the council of bones, and the compact I think is actually called S.W.O.R.N., are one of the core compacts and conspiracies, so the slasher ones are both entirely new if they really arent VASCU and the Hunt Club

Comment

Working...
                                X