Hunter: the Vigil 2E Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Yes to the latter, no to the former. The Code underlines a priority between the two, but being a monster hunter and then privileging a monster's safety over a human's is a point of failure that doesn't require you to take a stake to every vampire you know of to avoid it. This is still a gameline where "monster reformer" is a valid aim for a cell or character.

Perhaps, but reading this piece of text doesn't seem like in Second Edition there is much wiggle room for playing a "monster reformer":

Calling a Spade a Spade
    What happens if the characters encounter a sympathetic monster, like the vampire who refuses to feed on human blood or the ghost that’s just trying to communicate? What about mundane serial killers, aren’t they just as bad as any creepy critter?
    The Code doesn’t care. By taking up the Vigil, a hunter decides that humanity is Us and monsters are Them, though he may lie to himself or wish it were otherwise. When the chips are down, a human being belongs on Earth and a vampire doesn’t, period. When the Code gets in the way of empathy for the plight of a creature that had no choice in becoming what it is, or one that’s trying its best not to harm anybody, it forces a hunter to confront the consequences of the Vigil he swore to uphold. Likewise, when the Code says it’s wrong to hunt the lady next door even though she’s a heartless murderer, it exposes the fine line he walks in no uncertain terms.
    It may not seem fair, but without the Code, a hunter is just a butcher with friends. He has to draw the line somewhere. He might want to view the cooperative vampire as a person, but in his heart, he knows that letting such a creature roam free puts all of humanity at the mercy of a danger it doesn’t understand. He can suck it up and carry the Vigil, or cross the line and face the music.

But time will tell what the actual finished 2e product will provide us with. Personally I hope you're right Satchel.

Comment

IT"S HERE!!!!!!!!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Also, it seems that I'm getting the Loyalists and Cheiron as a birthday present. Oh, Hunter, you shouldn't have... seriously, you shouldn't. Keep those organ thieves out of me.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

AKD and Abby got dumped then? Nine Stars sounds like a new one, no idea what they could be based on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger View Post
            AKD and Abby got dumped then? Nine Stars sounds like a new one, no idea what they could be based on.

Ashwood Abbey not being in the 2e core book makes me reconsider backing this.

Comment

Awesome I just backed it

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
              Current Focus
              Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
              Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrow's Nobody View Post

Ashwood Abbey not being in the 2e core book makes me reconsider backing this.
                It was stated to not be in the Core long ago,, so it is not a surprise.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

As Monica said over on the KS comments: "Ashwood Abbey is presented in the Storyteller chapter to show how to make a compact. It is not one of the full splats."

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Hi everyone. Regarding the compacts and conspiracies, there are two new compacts (SWORN and Nine Stars) and one new conspiracy (Council of Bones). I understand some fans really dig Aegis Kai Doru and Ashwood Abbey. They are presented as italicized examples but not full splats in the Storyteller chapter. Hunter 2E has a lot more monsters than ever before. I felt that adding new groups to second edition that diversify from Hunter 1E will help further the understanding that anyone can be a hunter as long as they make that commitment. This is a game that has a lot of morally grey areas; you can fight monsters to your heart's content--but the Vigil often requires you to make hard choices.

Comment

I’m surprised AKD didn’t make the cut. I’d have thought it was revisable given how many important genre tropes it included. Unless it’s also in the Storytelling Chapter as the “How to make a Conspiracy” counterpart to Ashwood?

Edit: and confirmed

(AKD matters a bit to me since I’m using them as the Constinople based Conspiracy integrating itself through the Nicean Church in my Vigil for Rome vault project)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Nine Stars sounds like a new one, no idea what they could be based on.
                        Hong Kong-based compact of detectives and police officers, per the first preview's summary of the compacts.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
                          Forgive my ignorance, but what are cancer cells?
                          HtV 2E Preview 1 seems to point that Cancer Cells definition changed a bit - to much more broader meaning.

rogue cell: A group of hunters who operate on their own. Rogue cells are also referred to as “cancer cells.”
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            HtV 2E Preview 1 seems to point that Cancer Cells definition changed a bit - to much more broader meaning.

rogue cell: A group of hunters who operate on their own. Rogue cells are also referred to as “cancer cells.”
                            Wait... so all Tier 1 cells are “cancer cells”?

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

Hong Kong-based compact of detectives and police officers, per the first preview's summary of the compacts.
                              Well that’s awkwardly timed...

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                                It was stated to not be in the Core long ago,, so it is not a surprise.
                                I'm sorry, but I don't always keep up with all the news, I lead a busy life, so it was a surprise to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X