[Dark Eras] Other terms for Cell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras] Other terms for Cell

Well, Cell as term works great in modern setting - it has strong conotations of 'terrorist cell', popularized from 1970s onward. But what about historical times, where idea of terrorism as we know it, did not existed? How hunters called they they work groups?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-08-2020, 02:25 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

The Wise of the Hunter forums - Maybe you can help? LostLight, glamourweaver. Second Chances ?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The term "cell" used to define a group with a shared purpose has been around way before the the 70's.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
      But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
        The term "cell" used to define a group with a shared purpose has been around way before the the 70's.
        But I’m not sure it predates the use in biology.

Cell meant small room

Hooke used that meaning to coin the term for biological cells in the 17th century based on their appearance.

It came to refer to small groups that were part of a larger organization based on a biological cell being part of a larger organism.

So an earlier term for Hunter Dark Eras would be useful.

- Company (as in the military usage)
        - Unit (as above)
        - Hunt (no really, that’s the collective noun for actual hunters, hence the Wild Hunt)
        - Murder (GET IT?!)
        - Party (hard to shake the D&D of it though)
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-08-2020, 01:11 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          The Wise of the Hunter forums - Maybe you can help? LostLight, glamourweaver. Second Chances ?
          I wouldn't call myself Wise on Hunter, but you summoned me, so here I am.

I would concur though, I don't think you need a different word. When I say cell, I tend to think of a revolutionary cell, not a terrorist cell. That has its own modern connotation but can apply historically as well. If I had to pick a word, I'd pick sect, but that doesn't really have the right connotation for Hunter. All three Hunter eras in DE2 use cell because there is so little to be gained by introducing a new word to describe a phenomenon found across most cultures and times - people acting as secretive and close-knit group. Contrast this with how we switched vampire for div in 1001 Nightmares because there was something to gain in localizing the Kindred to the Islamic world because vampires decidedly don't exist in Persian or Arabic folklore. And notice how we didn't do the same thing with Beasts, despite it being a 13th century Middle English word, since "big, fucking scary monsters" do exist in the source material. Cells, at least in the general connotation we use them in Hunter, have existed ever since one group of humans organized and plotted against another, which I'm pretty sure goes back to pre-history.

Now if we are talking about what the cell calls itself, that is a different story, but then you are getting into specific times and locations to pick the right word. Also, terrorism as existed a long ass time.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn, Contagion RMCs; Scion - Mysteries of the World, Wild Hunt

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Band or troop is not bad, I think I actually prefer band.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
            Current Focus
            Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
            Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

The word "cell" is derived from the Latin cella "small room, store unit, hut" and related to the Latin celare "to hide, conceal." Based on this cell seems fine for Dark Ages. The word was used during the middle ages to refer to monastic rooms and huts, so at the very least, the word was around,

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Working...
              X