[2E] Mixing Tiers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Mixing Tiers

When reading 2E KS previews of HtV, I think about chronicle that I would like to run. And I come to conclusion I love Hunter Orgs! <3

The problem is - I like them ALL. I would have all Compacts and Conspiracies at play, at least corebooks ones. And here we come to the problem - that means I want to run Compacts and Conspiracies in the same game. Best, taking care of regional problem. So I would have elements of Tier 2 ( regional setting, with regional offices of Orgs ) mixed with Tier 3 ( some - not all - hunters being from Conspiracies ).

How to solve this type of game?

I was thinking about:
    a) Banning Conspiracy members to have Endowments in play,
    b) Letting Compacts members to have Endowments from Compacts & Conspiracies 1E book, with 2E tweaks,
    c) Let loose Conspiracies to have Endowments, by the 2E corebook. Or making players of them to pay Merits dots or XP even for starting Endowments.

What do you think could work in 2E environment?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Over 30 views and no answers. Maybe some Forum Sages have idea how to tackle it? LostLight?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Let's start from the basics - PCs will be any tier they want?

Comment

According to the 2e Core, the game states that you should choose a single Tier for your Chronicles. While I have not playtested it, of course, I personally don't have much issues with having mixed Tiers in game. While Endowments are indeed a powerful tool in the hands of an hunter, I don't see the need in banning the 3rd Tier hunters in such a cell from holding them. Each hunter has their own strengths and weaknesses, and where some hunters focus on using supernatural means for the Vigil, others work through social contacts, or occult research. Tactics are built around utilizing the strengths of the hunters in the cell, and represent this concept the best.

In short, while Endowments do give 3rd Tier hunters an edge over 2nd and 1st, if you were to allow a mixed Tier game I don't think they would be as much of an issue as a crossover game, for example. Some hunters have Endowments, others could have Supernatural Merits or even plain old skills and contacts. Focus on how the cell works as a group, instead of how each hunter is "superior" to the others simply because they have a gun that can shoot ghosts or a pet demon. That's how I would run thing, at least- but until I play such a scenario I can't make promises it won't "break the game" or something.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Only thing I can think of is just letting Tier 1 and 2 Hunters start with 10 Merit Points to spend as they see fit (whether on mundane things or Supernatural ones).

Comment

Really it depends on what you want to do. If you’re mixing just T2 and T3, you have a few options:

1. Play it as a T2 game with some T3 orgs, with T3 groups not providing endowments. This works best for certain Conspiracies with the Endowments not as ingrained such as VASCU and VALKERIE, but for groups like The Luciferage it can squarely fall flat

2. Play it as a T3 game with some T2 orgs. Introduce limited endowments to the T2 orgs. This is a fun option, but can be work intensive.

3. Play it as a proper mixed game with both T2 and T3 orgs. Possibly give the T2 hunters some extra merit dots or experiences as others have suggested, but it certainly isn’t nessary. This option is fun but can get chaotic if not handled well.

Comment

In 2E preview, each Tier 3 hunter starts with two Endowments - How much XP would cost refund on them, so give extra XP for the Tier 2 hunters?
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-25-2020, 01:52 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Endowments cast 3 experiences.

Comment

Working...
                X