Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storytelling Tips - How to choose antagonists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storytelling Tips - How to choose antagonists?

So HtV is largest crossover gameline in whole Chronicles of Darkness - you can put anything against your players, from any CoD gameline or book. And it's a problem. When thinking about the game I may like to run with it, I'm empty, as I'm put against too much choice. I simply cannot decide. It is said that Werewolf have second largest antagonists rooster - but they are all related to Shadow Realm. And as we have Shadow Realm, we go with shamanism - and this pointing to some themes and settings for the game. In Hunter you are not so limited - and it's a bit overwhelming me here.

What are your tips to choose main antagonist for chronicle? How to choose what players should hunt - and from there make the plot for the game? Answers: 'We do this on Session 0' are not solving anything for me, as I like to prepare chronicles in free time, long before I take players for running them.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Myself, I have a soft spot for Inferno demons - and as HtV let's you incorporate those - maybe this is the way to choose enemies for the games? Simply say 'As ST I like demons, so I plan to run Hell related game'?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

It depends on the setup of the game, doesn't it? Not as in what you decide in session zero, but as what you, the ST, want to run.

If you want to run a game about demon hunters, you feature a lot of demons. Then, if you want to run a game about fighting secret puppetmasters under the skin of society, you connect the puppetmasters to demons in some way (or in many ways): they could be demons exerting (tier-appropriate) influence by possessing politicians, or they could be a cabal of sorcerers summoning demons to do their dirty work. If you want to run something more episodic, let the demons be tied to specific locations or disparate scenarios: a demon luring to people to wickedness here, a lone witch serving the Devil there, and so on.

As ST, you get to pick a theme and focus, and stick to or deviate from it at your leisure.

Comment

I like to run a 'Monster of the Week" style game that's ripe for exactly the kind of choice paralysis you describe here. What I typically do is ask myself what new thing to I want to highlight this session. Our first game, I decided that this Hunt should emphasize that monsters are evil and unnatural, but not unknowable so I had an evil vampire doing evil vampire things to homeless people. Sometimes the point will be to drive home an aspect of the setting, as above, but sometimes its to introduce a setting-relevant NPC, or to push your players by confronting them with a monster strength or weakness they aren't prepared for. I'm planning a hunt for some time in the future where a vampire is using copycat killer tactics to bring slashers out from retirement, which will demonstrate how the world is interconnected.

Comment

Working...
        X