Nerds Compact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerds Compact

Part of joke, but part of the legit idea, years ago I devised basic premise of new Compact - group of hunters that were nerds immersed in popculture, mainly (old) World of Darkness books. Yes, in Chronicles of Darkness world. Imagine this - larpers for Werewolf: the Apocalypse found out Uratha are real, but they work not according the rules in their favorite gamebooks. Or that mages are totally different than those shown in Ascension. It got very Null Mysteriis vibe, in what characters have very internalized world view on monsters that is partially wrong.

I just need good name ( my nemesis! ), and new group write itself.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Good guy needs vs jerk jocks
    The jocks are the supernatur

Comment

Name came literally to me in the dream tonight. I end write-up later today. For now, enjoy base idea.

DICE

Dedicated Individuals Contra Enemies
      It started with a game. You were in collage, invited to this weird party. Friend of the friend of the friend was doing this impersonation game in the campus bar. You know, like Cludeo, Mafia or shit. Only in this you were assumed to BE a werewolf. Or witch. Or vampire. They called it World of Darkness. You loved it so much, you still play twenty years later on other weekend and hunt monsters on other Saturday nights.

In the 90s popular were games from World of Darkness franchise, WoD in short. One of major RPG lines, it wa series of system about iconic popculture monsters – Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Mage: the Ascension and a dozen of others, less known monsters games. They get much popularity in goth and nerd subcultures of those times, being mildly successful. They were easy to immerse as the setting pointing to ‘our world only darker’. There were also many Live Action Roleplaying ( LARP ) clubs of those games around the world.

But in few years it ended, when sells were too low. Some more dedicated fans said it was government covering up for monsters. Others said that were monsters itself taking care of those that share truth to much. Most simply understand that RPG industry is running partially on bankruptcy level of low incomes. Well, WoD simply didn’t make it.

Only it did. DICE was one of the LARP clubs in California. It was mid 90s, WoD was rather strong in fandom and it seemed that everyone is playing it. On one of this Saturday nights in campus woods it was shown that everyone – and everything – is really playing it. There was unfortunate combat accident. Normally local Storyteller simply choose game cards or dices or shit like this to resolve the fight. Only this time one player attacked other, for reals - and it was vampire goth chick. Somehow, DICE members instead of running, used all they game lore and killed it. They swear not to tell anybody about it and tried to disband game club. But when each member was attacked in coming weeks – they banded once more and become real hunters.

They started DICE forum, where rest of Internet assumed it’s just another RPG fandom sites. In reality, DICE members are testing waters and still look for the players that really got attacked in their past. As popularity of WoD franchise decreases, members started to look in other fandoms also, adding a bit of ‘knight errant’ and ‘s-f crazes’ types to their Compact. In early 2000’s they even invited video game cRPG crowd, with popularity of those great single player and then MMORPG games, all about immersion in the role. Now, two decades later, DICE is multi-nerd group of hunters. They even prepare convention next month. Come to join?

The Enemy
      Monsters are real – and they are jerks. We have all the lore we need in our WoD books. Twenty years later, they are now unrealistic expensive on Ebay and other auction sites – but maybe you were lucky and got your older sister or fathers corebook set. Other games are… not so much useful. Very rarely we see a dragon on the sky – but it do happen. Still, RPG players are surprisingly versed in various occult lore. Just ask any one of them about ingredients for they favourite spell or how to kill the werewolf. DICE members maybe somehow polluted by the WoD lore too much and make mistakes by it – but anyone of them is real fountain of hunter knowledge when around you. And they just like to talk on nerd stuff, with passion.

With nerd stigma, came a term for enemy – jerks. DICE needed metaphor for monsters. Looking over they cultural roots, they devised that bullies and jerks from their high school pasts will be great ideas to cover real monsters existence in conversations. And it stayed that way to this day.

Hunters

Factions

As any larger Compact, DICE is divided into smaller cliques. They are called ‘fandoms’ and show from where you take your lore – and where finally is your heart. They help learn you the new and perfect old Skills you need on the hunt.

WoDers, known also as Old Guard, are veterans of the group. They were playing WoD games with passion and often understand supernatural beings by the eyes of the gamelines. It sometimes helps, sometimes hinders. And they look just like they are from another century. They fandom Skills are Occult and Academics.

New Guard are fandom coming from other tabletop RPG worlds. Varied in their take, they point WoDers that real lore is hidden in all those fantasy and S-F games, also. Devising parallels between D&D vampires and Kindred of ‘real world’ is ambitious task – but they take it. They fandom Skills are Academics and Science.

Wiz-Kids are the video games nerds. Analyzing myriad mythos of popular franchise, with really made up worlds, made them not very useful to proper hunt. Or at least it’s WoDers take. Wiz-Kids point that real world monsters are not putted in neat boxes – and being open to really bizzare concepts can open you to the lore you need. Besides, they work awesomely as tech guys. They fandom Skills are Academics and Computers.

Status
      Working somehow similar to Null Mysteriis, members of DICE get status by confronting their fandom lore with realities of hunt – and preparing new advises and lore pieces for next generations of ‘players’.

• You’ve been playing RPG or video games most of your life. You see a marks of vampire, trail of dragon or even alien invasion from afar. Get free dot in Occult just by joining to the group that said you were right all along.

••• Your hobby is your obsession – and it’s showing you the way for real knowledge. You get Encyclopedic Knowledge Merit for free, related to the lore of fandom you mostly adhere to.

••••• Your are living embodiment of your fandom lore – and becoming like living persona of it. You get four dots in Professional Training Merit based on your fandom Skills as Asset Skills. If you already have them, use Sanctify of Merits. If you have Professional Training in one of those Skills, get the Training for the other with added next Assets Skill.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-05-2020, 03:04 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

So I must say I really liked how DICE come to being, in the end. As random idea I got, take more like joke, I did not thought with now rules I can easily mold so much 'passion nerds as hunters' characters. Merits in Status bonuses glues greatly to those larger than life hunters ideas. And, generally, Compact seems to work with HtV setting as it is.

LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

As inspiration for this group - Charlie Bradbury from Supernatural TV series! She would clearly be from Wiz-Kidz in Compact.

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
          X