Questions about the Beaten Down tilt in Hunter 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Beaten Down tilt in Hunter 2e

How is beaten down intended to work in a chronicle/long game? Is it to be used in every fight, even if the character knows that they die if they lose? How does it work with risking willpower? What do you consider the best way to use it? How do YOU decide if a character gets it?
    Last edited by K9ine; 05-18-2020, 11:21 PM.

It's there to reinforce to the Storyteller and the group that violent confrontations don't need to be to the death, and as such, it's generally more useful for confrontations between humans or complications of the Vigil than direct battles with monsters, though this may vary with more intelligent and incognito creatures like vampires and witches. It's for when you and the cultist are struggling over the ancient scepter, when you have to shake a guy down in an emergency, and when you have to barrel past the security guard.

It is there to make both surrendering and forcing a surrender an option.

To decide whether Beaten Down should apply to a scene, ask what the objective is for the respective combatants. Anyone whose objective is just to brutalize or murder you should not be able to apply Beaten Down. If you know surrendering will just get you killed, you don't get Beaten Down. Generally a confrontation with a monster in a Hunter game will not use the Beaten Down and surrender rules unless it's an especially humanlike monster trying to play to especially humanlike morals. Beaten Down is irrelevant to hardened killers, human or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      It's there to reinforce to the Storyteller and the group that violent confrontations don't need to be to the death, and as such, it's generally more useful for confrontations between humans or complications of the Vigil than direct battles with monsters, though this may vary with more intelligent and incognito creatures like vampires and witches. It's for when you and the cultist are struggling over the ancient scepter, when you have to shake a guy down in an emergency, and when you have to barrel past the security guard.

It is there to make both surrendering and forcing a surrender an option.

To decide whether Beaten Down should apply to a scene, ask what the objective is for the respective combatants. Anyone whose objective is just to brutalize or murder you should not be able to apply Beaten Down. If you know surrendering will just get you killed, you don't get Beaten Down. Generally a confrontation with a monster in a Hunter game will not use the Beaten Down and surrender rules unless it's an especially humanlike monster trying to play to especially humanlike morals. Beaten Down is irrelevant to hardened killers, human or not.
      That makes sense, and it was how I was leaning on using it. Did you come to that conclusion by thinking it through yourself or is there some context im missing in the books?

Comment

Which book are you reading it in? The passage in the Hunter manuscript is abridged I think, but in the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook there's this:

If one side’s intent involves violence for its own sake, the other side can’t surrender — not without being killed or harmed anyway. If that’s the case, the aggressor’s intended victims don’t get the Beaten Down Tilt, and gain no benefits from surrendering. When someone wants to kill you, the only thing you can do is to try to stop her, whether you run like hell or unload a shotgun at her.
        These rules only apply to people who would incur a breaking point for committing (or attempting) “murder.” Creatures that don’t have a problem killing people in general can ignore surrender without penalty and don’t have the fight beaten out of them like normal folks.
        The manuscript text says largely the same thing, but briefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
          Which book are you reading it in? The passage in the Hunter manuscript is abridged I think, but in the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook there's this:

The manuscript text says largely the same thing, but briefer.
          I have both. Vampire too but Im not sure it touches on the subject. I guess your just using good judgment. I'll try to do the same. Thank you for your detailed explanation. If there is any more advice you would like to share I'd be happy to hear it. Sometimes I get too caught up in details and fail to think things through like I should.

Comment

Working...
          X