[Homebrew] True Hunts and Hunt Willpower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] True Hunts and Hunt Willpower

This is a rule I came up with some years ago, after reading Werewolf 2e. I wanted to capture the design principle of the Sacred Hunt, as something that puts the focus on the hunt during the game and possibly adds more tension, but I wanted to make it more as a general rule, not a specific werewolf rite.

I think it fits well for Hunter, possibly as an alternative to Risking Willpower to give them an edge against monsters, but it can be used for any kind of creature with an hunting theme (perhaps vampires during a Blood Hunt, or it can even be adapted to Werewolf 1st edition).

Declaring a True Hunt

Once per chapter, a character or group of characters may spend one Willpower point to declare a True Hunt. The hunters clearly state that their hunt for a designated prey has begun. This is represented by a symbolic action that may be as simple or complex, formal or informal as desired. Some Compacts enact elaborated traditional rituals, while other cells simply have a brief pep talk and shout "Let's do this" together. The prey must be clearly identified, even if its identity is unknown (e.g. whoever killed Arnold).
    Whoever spent Willpower and participated in the symbolic action gains the True Hunt Condition.

Condition: True Hunt

The character's mind is completely focused on hunting down her prey. She is obsessed and distant. She can't find comfort in her usual pleasures, and won't literally rest until she sees her prey brought down.
    As long as the True Hunt lasts, the character cannot regain Willpower from resting or indulging in her Virtue or Vice (or equivalent Anchors).

Whenever a character spends Willpower points for actions directly related to the hunt’s success, she adds one point to a Hunt Reserve. The Hunt Reserve is a pool of Willpower points that can only be spent for actions directly related to the hunt. Willpower points spent from the Hunt Reserve are lost and can never be regained. In other words, Willpower points aimed at succeeding the hunt can be spent twice during a True Hunt.
    The Hunt Reserve starts with one Willpower point (the one spent for declaring the True Hunt).

Resolution: When the True Hunt succeeds in defeating the designated prey, resolve this Condition, and the character regains any Willpower point currently in the Hunt Reserve.
    A character may choose to end a True Hunt, without resolving the Condition, at any time.
    When a True Hunt is interrupted, any point in the Hunt Reserve is lost.
    The character can gain Willpower from surrendering, but doing so interrupts the True Hunt without resolution.
    Last edited by moonwhisper; 04-02-2021, 08:40 AM.

There's quibbles about the concept of using the Sacred Hunt concept for Hunter, but let's ignore that in the spirit of the thread and move forward.

1) Why is declaring a True Hunt not a Tactic?

2) The Sacred Hunt for werewolves is an invocation of the hidden laws of the Shadow and the Uratha's position (birthright, even) in the ecology of the worlds. There's no such spiritual backing for hunters, outside of certain conspiracies, so I assume this is is some kind of psyching each other up and honing them in on target? Just contextualizing the homebrew-I figure it's this, but better to get confirmation.

3) Doesn't removing the option to indulge Virtue and Vice while on the True Hunt remove the drama potential of doing heroic or callous actions in the name of the Vigil, backed the mechanical incentive? It seems to me like a True Hunt would be a more opportune time indulge in the highs and lows of human behavior in dramatic conditions.

4) Given how Risking Willpower can often keep the Willpower train going a long time so long as successes, might it be better to contextualize it as just allowing a Hunter to flip a number of failures to successes for the purposes of Risking's near-perpetual upkeep of Willpower? Risking Willpower basically fulfill what you're having this do.

5) Alternatively, since having a number of auto-successes can be overpowering, why not just have it be additional willpower that fades if a Hunter deviates from the hunt?

6) For me, though, the big question about this stems from the focus on Willpower over Integrity-since Willpower is very decently supported by Risking Willpower, and it seems like the goal is to get them into the cold-eyed focus on the hunt, it strikes me as though the main function of True Hunt is to have the psychological-damage-turned-conviction that is the Code working overtime, and thus the mind is more numbed to the actions a person takes in the name of the Code. So why not benefits applied to breaking points?

These are the big questions for me.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 04-03-2021, 01:02 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Working...
    X