X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LostLight
    started a topic Conspiracy Theory: Cheiron Group

Conspiracy Theory: Cheiron Group

Alright guys and girls, this is what we all came for- the Cheiron Group.

I mean, while all 3rd Tier orgs are named as "conspiracies", none is as true for this definition as the Cheiron Group (well, and potentially Valkyrie, but that's another story). I mean, we have a pharmaceutical company with philanthropic attitude which develops new drugs to help to cure all kinds of diseases on the outside, secret R&D division which uses monster parts to sell those said drugs, a even more secret business in selling their transplants for militias and mercenaries as well as dealing with the organ black market, and in the core we have "unknown figureheads which are never shown in public and control every aspect of the company". And that is even before you take into account that Cheiron and its logo have been around under different names for ages- Cheiron, Acheron, Helios, Octavian Apothecary, House of Katz. I mean- sheesh! This thing has layers. We can see the activity of the forces behind the company dating all the way back to ancient Rome, Greece, Mesopotamia- they seem to even have had a branch in Mesoamerica during the Postclassical Period. Cheiron may be new, but it is just a mask used by some incredibly ancient beings, ones which may be as old as Pangaea (at least, if you use my Sundered World supplement. Which you should, it's cool *shameless promotion*). And of course, we shouldn't forget Santorini- or Thera, a place which so heavily hinted to have a certain temple that Cheiron seems to be very interested in.

I mean- come on- for a civilization of which we barely know anything, it did managed to be tied to not only one conspiracy, but two? Damn, the Minoans in the CofDverse are scary.

Anyway, while we were left in the dark about the true nature of Cheiron's Director's Board for most of the line, C&C came in and gave us the so very expected answer- that the shadowy beings behind Cheiron are, well, aliens *insert meme*. There are even mentions of "colonization project" in C&C. Now, the details of where do they come from is a bit murky- we only know it is an alternative world, be it a parallel universe, a realm such as the Shadow or even an actual dead planet from a different galaxy. The basis is that the Board are not human, yet they have well integrated themselves into human society. Which should surprise no one. I mean, they are basically the CofD's version of Wolfram and Hart. They have ancient, alien entities which have learned very, very well how human society works. Really, that just makes sense.

And yet sometimes, there are misconceptions about them. The first, is that their abilities are scientific in nature. The second, that the outright evil. The first is blatantly wrong- the other... well, that's going to be our main discussion in here.

Ok, so let's start with the easiest misconception- I can't say it is a widespread one, but I got to argue with people about this. I mean, I can get where they are coming from- Cheiron uses a very well known surgical process in the form of organ transplant in order to give special abilities to their hunters. As such, it makes sense to think about it within the limitations of such a procedure- giving hunters only special abilities which corresponds to the physical properties of the organ within the monster's system. That leads people to think that unless the part of the monster is directly supernatural in nature, like in an organic way, it can't be applied within thaumatechnology. That argument is mostly used in the context of mages, but also in relation of other monsters- so unless the monster has a special organ which produce a special supernatural effect, it can't be harvested by Cheiron.

Which would make sense- if thaumatechnology as a rule made sense.

I mean, let's make it clear- thaumatech does not work like organ transplant. At all, that is. I mean, putting the flesh of one living organism into the body of another and expecting it to work is a crazy thought- it works if you think about the body simply as a machine, but God doing so oversimplify things so damn much. You need the same blood type, donor compatibility, taking drugs to suppress your immune system so it will not reject this foreign piece of flesh that tries to physically invade its systems- sometimes for life. And that's just for transplant from within the same species. Oh, sure, you can take a pig's heart and put it into a human- but that's such a weird exception and such a coincidence that it is truly a miracle and/or a cosmic flux that it works. And you are going to tell me that the common Cheiron hunter has the same blood type as the eight winged skeletal horror which shoots death rays from its eyes after escaping from the Underworld? Yeah, I didn't tjhink you would. By any scientific sense, putting a monster part within your body should, at best, get rejected, decay and make you sick, not to mention that it would very likely kill you as your body will start killing itself to get this awful thing out. Thaumatech shouldn't work- which is why it has the "thau" part in its name. This is freaking magic- you can't apply any scientific sense to this madness because it has no scientific sense to being with. Sure, you could say "well, than only the transplant itself is magic"- but really, the ability to harvest monster parts for their powers is crazy by its own right. Eyes that can see into the Twilight make no sense without a brain to comprehend the signals. A piece of dead skin which twitches when there are vampires nearby means some crazy BS to explain, as it is the Beast which reacts. Not to mention putting a freaking abyssal worm into your brain. Yeah- there is little to no correlation between the physical property of the organ and the power it contains- but it should still make sense, symbolically at least. There needs to be a reason why the tongue of a demon would help you lie better and not, let's say, their eyes, or liver. Thaumatech has logic behind it- it is just not scientific, and trying to think in terms of science about Cheiron would no lead you anywhere, especially as those bastards apparently put the organs of monsters inside people when cuneiform writing was trending. So yeah- science is only a tool for Cheiron, something which makes things easier for them, but those eldritch entities which have invaded our world are clearly not bound by those concepts in any way, shape or form.

Ok, so with this rant out of the way- let's talk about the elephant in the room. Are Cheiron evil?

Well..............

I mean, on the most superficial level, the answer from, simply reading any of their writeups would be YES OF COURSE THEY ARE. You need to be blind in order to not get that TCG are veeeeeeeeeeeeery suspicious, and probably are, basically, evil. I mean, you have a philanthropic drug company? That's, like, textbook evil in fiction- a vast majority of people have an instinctive lack of trust in pharmaceutical companies, as we are talking about people who benefit from the fact that there is sickness in the world. That leads to all kinds of crazy ***** real life conspiracy theories, some of which we are currently experiencing so I am not going into this hell hole and I'm sure that if you are interested you can find what conspiracies people have on this industry. So yeah, from a basic glance you would certainly think that Cheiron is there to be that evil organization which does shady things to monsters and people, and you will be correct- but here is the thing- people have this uneasiness from pharmaceutical companies because they are companies which gain money from us being sick, and as such it is easy to extrapolate that non ethical behavior meant to make them produce profit on the expanse of your health. We know what they gain and from what.

But what do Cheiron gain?

I mean, think about it for a second- the Director's Board are old. The whole infrastructure which is now called Cheiron is as old as humanity, if not older. They probably don't NEED money- well, maybe for regular maintenance and such, but they don't really need to grow and devour lesser companies and become part of the stock market. You could say that they need the money to pay for hunters to kill monsters, but we have many other weirder conspiracies which work without going into the free market. And not only that, when we look on Cheiron's history, we can see a pattern emerge- most of the conspiracy's incarnations have some sort of Greek motif, and all of them seems to be connected to trade, medicine or both. The powers behind Cheiron have always traded with humans, always healed them, and always hunted monsters to do so. This is not some modern strategy, it is not a phase- this is their nature. It seems that whatever the Board are, they have a certain agenda which includes dealing with medicine, and have used trade in order to integrate themselves into the human society.

It is almost as if the only way they can understand the world is through trade. Kinda makes you think about other kind of entities we are familiar with... like faeries. Or demons.

Well, fine- Cheiron are not there to make simple profit out of human suffering, and they seems so obsessed with healing humanity- but healing humanity from.. what? What could take them so many years to heal us from?

Well, I can think about one such issue.

The Contagion.

I mean, think about it- the Contagion is old, is hinted to come from some alternative reality of some sort (or number of those), and is known to mutate people and monsters into horrifying forms. The Director's Board are old, hinted to come from some alternative reality, and are known to mutate people into horrifying forms. Does it mean that Cheiron are, in fact, a vector of the Contagion? That would work with that story hook about them supporting the opening of Pandora's Box and freeing a plague which transforms people into monsters. On the other hand, it seems more likely that Cheiron are, in fact, fighting the Contagion- and just like how vaccines use components of the original infection to protect the population, Cheiron could be working through the millennia on a vaccine for the Contagion, or develop some other method for healing it through the use of monster parts. That, for me, makes much more sense- the Director's Board being the survivors of a lost reality consumed by the Contagion which now seek to produce a medicine for it meant to save their own kind which were left trapped in their home dimension. Are humans then just test subjects meant for Cheiron to test their methods? Maybe, but not necessarily- after all, the Board does understand the horror of the Contagion, and as such they may also try to truly protect humans from the cataclysm. However, as inhuman beings, they can't really understand humanity- and they know that being open with their nature would make them hated and feared by the population. So they waited, they watched, they learned- and eventually, they got it. People are afraid of things they don't understand. People are afraid of the things which lurked in the dark. If you want to heal people, you got to put a mask, like the plague doctors of old. You need to crawl out of the shadows and act like humans. Everything that humans do revolves around needs- so they, too, should work through those needs. People want love, happiness, strong body and sharp mind. They can do that- but if they'll give it for free, they'll suspect. Humans don't trust strangers, and they don't trust free gifts. Instead, they should demand something in return- you give some, you take some. People are so fascinating, like that. The price gives something its worth- so give them what they want, and take an equal exchange back. Empathy? What's that? Such a weird concept. No, humans as weird to understand, but the systems they use makes sense. Trade. Just use trade- constantly, consistently, throughout the millennia, stay integrated into mortal society through this strange infrastructure of bargains so they'll never suspect- and the logo, and the logo is the key. It is the sign, the key, the heart of the first bargain. Bear this symbol, and gain our blessing- and it must be this exact logo. Why? Because that's how you humans think. We decided on this exact logo and we must be loyal to our bargains, or else you will fear us. Or else you will despise us. We can not break our bargain, our trade must be fair, for you can't understand us, and we can't understand you. This is the accord, this is the contract- and in order for us to help you, you must follow the bargains which you enforced. Else, the seal will be broken. Else, there will be sickness. Else, we can not heal you.

So- if their endgame is, truly, finding a cure for the Contagion and saving all of humanity as well as their own species, how are they going to do it?

It's simple- thaumatehcnology.

Humans are vulnerable. There is some loophole in their genetics, in their souls, in their very symbols, which allows the Contagion to infect them. The same is true for the monsters, the same is true for the Board themselves. As such, those flaws needs to be fixed- pieces of different creatures needs to be bound together in order to compensate for the failings of their owners. A bit of vampire blood, of werewolf skin, or witch brain. But those parts needs to be studied, and the owners of the organs needs to be hunted down- which means that facilities must be formed, that people must be hired, that new transplants must be developed so hunters could bring more raw material to work with. All of this work, all of this Vigil, is just to make one simple goal- to create a perfect being, a new human, one which is both a part of the Board's species and is immune to the Contagion. A perfect lifeform unlike any other, which transcends the darkness and would not be corrupted by it. That's what colonization means- carriers of the Board's wishes, hopes and dreams, carriers of their souls. Perfect body, perfect soul, perfect mind- a whole species of such beings, which would live in a world free of sickness, and world which would not be corrupted, and world which there is no longer a need for healers for no one will be sick. A perfect world, a bright future unlike any other.

And what about the previous, unperfect species left behind? What about those who are not healed?

Well, sometimes it is better to purge the wound so it won't be infected. And once the new species of humanity would rise, the old, obsolete sick ones, all of those vampires and mages and whatever else, would have to be removed. It is unfortunate- but there is no other choice. Their sacrifice will be respected- but it is a small price to pay for this new, perfected world. And if regular homo sapiens would also prove itself unable to be cured? Well, time to clean the slate and start over. Who knows how many times they did it before. We blamed the AKD for Santorini- but who knows? Maybe those were those ancient Healers which blew up the volcano, erasing a failed experiment which went out of control. You can only learn from your mistakes, as you go on your quest for this perfect amalgam of flesh, a patchwork of countless monsters, which together will finally be freed from the horror of the Contagion.

Either that or that they just drain the power of monsters to take over the world, of course.

Anyway, that's it for the Cheiron Group- next time we'll have the eerie Council of Bones, a new conspiracy on which we know very little. Soar high, Vigil masters!

• LostLight
    replied
    While Hermes fits thematically, it has some issues by the fact it does not express the themes of monstrosity which Cheiron has- I am sure that one of its incarnations may have used Hermes or Mercury in its naming scheme, but the combination of man and beast is lacking here... unless you use the theory in which Hermes is in fact a aspect of Pan which became its own god, which would corresponds with the creation of a "perfect being" from a "man beast" amalgam.

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    Honestly, when you started talking about trade, medicine, and the Greek motifs, I was expecting a Hermes reference to crop up.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
    Heh, makes me wonder if the Board were actually a group of Charlatans (from Changeling).
    It is a possibility! A different theory, of course, but I'm sure you could build one around this concept

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Heh, makes me wonder if the Board were actually a group of Charlatans (from Changeling).

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    I am not sure that Cheiron goes around and offers contracts in the same manner that demons or fairies do- but they do use them like any company does. For the Board, this is extremely important because, again, this is their language- like, I don't think that their contracts hold any supernatural reality warping power, it is more that Cheiron will not break their word because that's how they understand the world. Add to this elements of "the Contagion as Social Entropy" that the Cryptocracy believes in, and it may very well be that following their fair trade is very important for the company, as breaking a contract may result with a Outbreak. However, "fair" is a very relative term- the people just need to agree to the contract, and agree to pay the price, and for Cheiron everything has a leverage and a price. Again, they may indeed have some reality warping ability, but it kinda misses the point of "the bargains as a seal" for the Contagion- it is a defense mechanism, not a demon in the crossroads.

Of course, that means also that people may break the contract with the Board, even if the Board may not, and if the Contagion is involved in thaumatech in some way, and the bargains are the ones which keep it sealed.... well, that may not end very well.
    If I wasn't clear, I didn't mean in a magical way. I simply meant to infer that there may (certainly) be some odd deals that have happened in the Group's lifetime. We already have some possible examples with Dead Eyes from Conquering Heroes and the Peleus Guild from the R&D section of 1st edition (a section I hope makes a return at some point). I wonder what odd connections they've made in their lifetimes, and if these contracts would hold true if they were to achieve he goal of humanity's symbiosis with monstrosity.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    I am not sure that Cheiron goes around and offers contracts in the same manner that demons or fairies do- but they do use them like any company does. For the Board, this is extremely important because, again, this is their language- like, I don't think that their contracts hold any supernatural reality warping power, it is more that Cheiron will not break their word because that's how they understand the world. Add to this elements of "the Contagion as Social Entropy" that the Cryptocracy believes in, and it may very well be that following their fair trade is very important for the company, as breaking a contract may result with a Outbreak. However, "fair" is a very relative term- the people just need to agree to the contract, and agree to pay the price, and for Cheiron everything has a leverage and a price. Again, they may indeed have some reality warping ability, but it kinda misses the point of "the bargains as a seal" for the Contagion- it is a defense mechanism, not a demon in the crossroads.

Of course, that means also that people may break the contract with the Board, even if the Board may not, and if the Contagion is involved in thaumatech in some way, and the bargains are the ones which keep it sealed.... well, that may not end very well.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    With all the talk about trade, would it be possible to assume that this includes contracts? While obviously always to be tried to favor the corporation, this opens up the opportunity for strange and unlikely events to happen not only in pursuance of the end goal, but also the aftermath of that end.

I mean, if their symbol is so binding, to the point of disaster without it, imagine what other contracts they've coerced others (and in unlucky circumstances, been coerced) into. Who knows how those will come into play for their goals.
    Last edited by Primordial newcomer; 01-09-2022, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I knew I should have added a disclaimer "this poster does not take responsibility for any lost sleeping time, teeth aches, any physical and/or mental damage, strange dreams caused by reading too much occult literature and/or getting infested by alien entities". Well, at least it would probably take some time until I'll get to the next theory, which would hopefully would give you enough time to scratch the itch about the current theories. (Seriously, I expected them to be bashed much earlier. Oh well)

Cheiron may be about saving humanity, but they don't feel empathy towards it, and what their definitions for "salvation" may strongly vary. I hope that helps to scratch that itch.
    Seriously. (in case it's not coming across, you've been doing a good job-these wouldn't worm into my head if you hadn't been.)

Reagrding the rest of the follow-up, I think the thing that digs at me the most is that Cheiron's relationship towards healing is as fluid as their relationship to exploitative trade-both are undeniable aspects of who they are and what hey do, but in trying to nail more details about the Board's endgame, either aspect can be pushed to the fore in explanation. It's a very shifting target for it's contextualization-and I suppose my itch stems from the fact that "salvation" is a marketing gimmick. No pharmaceutical company is completely divorced from a desire to heal, even at it's thinnest veneer for a cycle of exploitation-and yet it may be false to describe that salvation as the endgame. On the other hand, saving a species is quite the equation, and I don't need to imagine myself the first person to point out that to obtain, something of equal or greater value must often be lost-all that gold for flesh maybe an investment for all the more flesh. (And now an internal Mesen-Nebu really wants to have a look at the Cheiron sections of Hunter, but I've got things to do)

All of which is to say that a conspiracy theory about a conspiracy is most effective when it gets you asking these types of questions. Humanity's definition is as fluid as salvation, but that doesn't stop set definitions be helpful in discerning the shape of a thing.

Though above all else, all takes do affirm-Empathy is very definitely not a product of the Board.

ANyways, enough of my rambling, get back to breaking out the string and tack board.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-09-2022, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I haven't even gotten around to reading the whole of the AO write up and find out what was causing my teeth to itch there, and then you go and do this to me. I was about to go to sleep, damnit. Shame on you. Shame. On. You.
    I knew I should have added a disclaimer "this poster does not take responsibility for any lost sleeping time, teeth aches, any physical and/or mental damage, strange dreams caused by reading too much occult literature and/or getting infested by alien entities". Well, at least it would probably take some time until I'll get to the next theory, which would hopefully would give you enough time to scratch the itch about the current theories. (Seriously, I expected them to be bashed much earlier. Oh well)

Now, as for trying to scratch that itch- I actually agree with you about a lot of those points. Yes, Cheiron is capitalistic. The powers behind them have perfected the concept of trade, binding those who use their "treatments" into them. And yes, the higher quality products of Cheiron do not disfigure your humanity while thaumatech, which is much "lower grade", does. I think that the main message here, IMO, is that the Board (in this theory) are indeed about saving humanity- but they certainly don't care about people.

We can see it in their writeups consistently, especially in C&C- where you have "talents" and you have "expendables". The Board lack empathy- they don't view humans as people. From their point of view, their agents are resources, assets meant to be used to gain what they want. As much as human can't comprehend those eldritch entities, they can't comprehend humans. You would have thought that considering their interest in breaking monsters apart and making goods out of them they would care for their own hunters- and in a way, they do. They pay for them well, they strength their bodies and minds, they make them better at the Vigil- but they also make sure that once you join them, you can't leave. You are an asset, a tool to be used or discarded as the corporation sees fit. Cheiron does not care about humans as individuals, especially not just because you work for them. After all, you already got your value's worth. They bought your life and paid well- and they now don't owe you anything. You are theirs, and the faster you'll accept it the better.

Their clients- now, that's a whole different story.

Those people who use their medicines and drugs and treatments are left seemingly untainted by the supernatural- and it is very well how it should be. Thaumatech, in my version of CofD, is a very crude, very early experiment in healing people. In my own Sundered World expansion, for example, I wrote how the Healers (aka the Board) put the pieces of monsters inside humans as a early form of treatment- something that they developed and perfected with time. The current Cheiron is a product of a millennia of experiments on the human species, treating humans as lab rats meant to test their new medication. They will save humanity, because they have a sliver of mercy towards them, because they know how dangerous could the Contagion be- but if trade is the only language their understand, than it makes sense that the only ones who are worthy to be saved are those who can pay, right? Is it fair? No, but so is the story I heard about a certain dog escaping getting killed in a lab experiment because it was "too pretty". Life aren't fair- and just like the Greek viewed beauty as a sign of divine favor, the Board views the ability to pay as a siogn of being worthy for salvation.

Within the context of this theory, the true medicine for the Contagion is hidden within the many drugs and methods offered by Cheiron- not thaumatech. Thaumatech is the basis, and it is still sued because it is still useful- but not the endgame. While the drugs help for their published purpose, what the Board truly care about is the hidden components, those which deal with the Contagion- some of those help, some do not, and they integrate themselves into the very spiritual essence of those who0 use them as the company slowly engineers the new perfect being which would hopefully be born. Capitalism is there- Cheiron tries to gain the most by spending as little, it is just that as far as money is concerned, they do so because that's how they understand humanity. Money, of course, is of little value for entities older than time- but what is of value? Control. They want to tie people into them so they could continue their hidden research, of finding a cure for the sickness, of creating the perfect being.

Which should make you ask yourself- what is the perfect being? I mean, I mentioned it in passing. A body resistant to the Contagion- and a vessel which could be tied to the spirit of the Board's species. A salvation, as they see it, which serves both the Board and humans. Would humanity be happy with the result? Probably not- especially as it may be very likely that after creating this perfect new species those who can not join it (if it would even be possible) would be purged- and that would include those who carry thaumatech. After all, they are tools, not the endgame. But would those who would develop to be immune to the Contagion have better life? Would those beings, this unholy synthesis of human and Healer, could finally live safely, unconcerned by the horrors of the night and the constant threat of the Contagion? And if so, wouldn't it be a small price to pay for a eternity free from the dark?

Cheiron may be about saving humanity, but they don't feel empathy towards it, and what their definitions for "salvation" may strongly vary. I hope that helps to scratch that itch.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I haven't even gotten around to reading the whole of the AO write up and find out what was causing my teeth to itch there, and then you go and do this to me. I was about to go to sleep, damnit. Shame on you. Shame. On. You.

Fortunately I can sort of name my particular demons on this one, and part of it is how on point a lot of it is-down to concepts of trade, value, and worth being semiotic devices, which in the case of the Contagion is Not A Light Thing, and more as an aside is proven to be a thing of worth and value to Cheiron by simple virtue that all of it's interactions make it the central point.

But in as much as anyone born in the late 80's can be a cyberpunk these days, I'm a cyberpunk, and for me, one particular thing seems missing-and yes, it's capitalism, but it has more occult context than the way we'd go about it.

Cheiron's history has basically always kept them on the bleeding edge of trends in trade, in a way that has developed long and hard and seemed primed and ready to adopt to capitalist methodology today. It may be that it just keeps on top of trade whatever it's form because trade is the language they use to discern or shape the world-but there's a particular aspect to the no-refund aspect of thaumatechnological grafting that finely cuts the skin so as to prick at any interference.

I could go into a lot of those, but for now what I want dig into is the particulars of trade that has always been there, but has really hiked up a lot since capitalism came into play-that is, as the seller of goods, it is most advantageous to get the most worth out of things that are of the least value. Or put it another way, it's better to get $20 from something you never cared about than something you paid $5 for, and if you can more, better still.

For anyone not hyper familiar with cyberpunk, it may surprise you that a lot of them feature being full blown human is actually a premium. The genre tends to take the Captain Sam Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness and apply it to the body-it costs more to take care of a body than to replace it with cybernetics, but those costs have longer returns over a machine that breaks down more regularly-and for the cybernetics maker, the more times you have to replace the parts of a hand, or the whole hand itself, the better. For employers, if that same cheap hand that needs replacing also optimizes them for them job and makes it harder for them to translate out of it, then that's an extra win-particularly if they're the one's making it, the person needing it is an employee, and they can squeeze more value for the circle they care about by tightening that isolating optimization. If the upper echelons of society do need to replace the flesh, it's only then and there that it goes above and beyond, where the eternal and the ephemeral are really, truly grafted into the replacement.

Of course, this is not every cyberpunk-some will feature up echelons of society made up of people who are inter-planetary space ships with sex organs interfaced all along the interior for the grandest of orgies where the host is the one fucking everyone-but it's a lot of them.

In Chronicles, the thaumatech that field agents receive are not the high end products that makes Cheiron the miracle worker of pharmaceutical companies. The pills and surgeries that really put them on the map leave their clients by and large human, often-except for that highest end of clientele who finds flesh, circuit, and bone dull, of course. A subtle immortality here, a quiet invigoration there, these things happen-but the clients still have arguable humanity, at least much more so than people lower down the line. But honestly, even these extravagences are not the usual. Good health, good life, human as it is now as luxury-that's the standard. Part of that is just the Masquerade, just the Veil-no need to draw attention if it's not needed.

Part of it, though, is the trade

By contrast, the lower you go, the more it costs, and the worse it works. Those organs the field agents get shoved in? Strictly speaking, they don't own them-CHieron's policy on keeping secrets from leaking out. It's not so much as it's private property, so much as it costs a lot-and by the time you've paid it off, oh dear, it's time for a new hand. Charity cases that lead them in may give someone a whole new arm, but it rebels and twitches and is weird, and oh hey, that's fine, you just need to come in for treatments and such. That eye of yours is hatching? Well that sucks-guess you gotta pay for an abortion and a new transplant. Insurance covers some of that, don't worry.

So they might have a thing about Contagion. Sure. Viable. But might they be saving humanity?

Well, we've already established that that might be on the table, with the caveat that humanity does not have a fixed definition for Cheiron.

Or maybe the trade is the language they understand. Maybe a tentacle for $20,000 and a human hand is an equation, or a poem etched into time, another couplet explaining reality.

Or maybe it's about having a workforce that handles reality, and thus increasingly is enslaved to it.

Maybe it's just about that luxury item. Maybe it's all about that. Maybe it's only somewhat part of it-a trifle benefit.

Maybe it's none of these. Maybe they're actually the good guys, in their way.

But it all makes my teeth itch, and laying this out is the scratch they needed.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-09-2022, 05:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    As you said, I less focused on those aspects because I leaned more towards their origin and goals- however those aspects could be easily tied to those goals in a few ways-

First, we need to remember that Cheiron is all about taking parts of different monsters and tying them together. As a path to achieve their perfect specimen which will be Healed, there has to be some mechanism which allows those different parts to not only integrate with the hunter, but also with each other. A form of... kinship. As such, the family ties which connect the different pieces together also connect to the womb which is meant to birth the perfect specimen, a combination of a human and a monster, like a centaur- the Dark Mother. That occult engineering works to create kinship between Cheiron and the Dark Mother, allowing them, as part of their endgame, to embody her within their facilities and birth the perfect vessel within the cold womb which is their laboratories. Now, while Cheiron is a monster, he is also a teacher- as hunters are not well informed of the slight differences between Slashers and Heroes, I am going to assume that most of the "slashers" produced by Cheiron are in fact heroes- ones which the Conspiracy "teaches", guiding them as part of the embodiment of humanity. Cheiron, after all, presents an interesting contradiction within CofD- a monster which teaches heroes how to kill other monsters. It could be a form of mercy- slashers, and potentially heroes, are broken people which needs to be tended, needs to be fixed, needs to be healed. Cheiron turns their urges towards the Contagion and the monsters as a form of medicine- left alone, and those people would get others killed. Teach them, direct them towards the monsters, and they would fight the disease. The strong connection to the Primordial Dream which Cheiron manifest may be the cause for increased heroes within their facilities, a byproduct of awakening that sleeping spark of madness. However, once the perfect being will be born, it is very likely that those heroes will no longer have their uses- they, took, are sick, and as they can't be healed, they'll have to be purged with poison, like Heracles wearing a shirt stained with a centaur's blood. Their sacrifice will be remembered, however- as all heroes deserve to be remembered.

I am going by alphabetical order along the new "Core Eight" conspiracies, after which I'll deal with the supplementary ones. Besides, writing about organizations help me to get them and potentially like them, which should be useful with the CoB.

Sure, you can post here or ask in PM, whatever you feel comfortable.
    Interesting connection. Nice to see a possible connection to the dark mother, especially considering the implications of that. Looking forward to the Council. While the AO is similar to an extent, I look forward to your first write up of the possible end goal of a particularly decentralized conspiracy

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    Amazing writeup! I especially like your idea on why trade is such a big part of all their incarnations. I am also a bit surprised you didn't delve into their possible connection to Heroes and Slashers considering the slasher book, mind answering why? I assume it's because it doesn't really tie into their overall goals. And I would like to say, how interesting that the two conspiracies heavily based in Greece focus on intertwining the supernatural with the human. Just one through the channeling of relics and one through the integration of monstrosity (it also reminds me of their stereotypes for each other)
    As you said, I less focused on those aspects because I leaned more towards their origin and goals- however those aspects could be easily tied to those goals in a few ways-

First, we need to remember that Cheiron is all about taking parts of different monsters and tying them together. As a path to achieve their perfect specimen which will be Healed, there has to be some mechanism which allows those different parts to not only integrate with the hunter, but also with each other. A form of... kinship. As such, the family ties which connect the different pieces together also connect to the womb which is meant to birth the perfect specimen, a combination of a human and a monster, like a centaur- the Dark Mother. That occult engineering works to create kinship between Cheiron and the Dark Mother, allowing them, as part of their endgame, to embody her within their facilities and birth the perfect vessel within the cold womb which is their laboratories. Now, while Cheiron is a monster, he is also a teacher- as hunters are not well informed of the slight differences between Slashers and Heroes, I am going to assume that most of the "slashers" produced by Cheiron are in fact heroes- ones which the Conspiracy "teaches", guiding them as part of the embodiment of humanity. Cheiron, after all, presents an interesting contradiction within CofD- a monster which teaches heroes how to kill other monsters. It could be a form of mercy- slashers, and potentially heroes, are broken people which needs to be tended, needs to be fixed, needs to be healed. Cheiron turns their urges towards the Contagion and the monsters as a form of medicine- left alone, and those people would get others killed. Teach them, direct them towards the monsters, and they would fight the disease. The strong connection to the Primordial Dream which Cheiron manifest may be the cause for increased heroes within their facilities, a byproduct of awakening that sleeping spark of madness. However, once the perfect being will be born, it is very likely that those heroes will no longer have their uses- they, took, are sick, and as they can't be healed, they'll have to be purged with poison, like Heracles wearing a shirt stained with a centaur's blood. Their sacrifice will be remembered, however- as all heroes deserve to be remembered.

A couple more questions. Why the council of bones next? I find that an interesting choice as you've said yourself that it's a conspiracy you've struggled with, up to the point of write ups exploring this conflict you have.
    I am going by alphabetical order along the new "Core Eight" conspiracies, after which I'll deal with the supplementary ones. Besides, writing about organizations help me to get them and potentially like them, which should be useful with the CoB.

And finally, my next question is a related to this series of threads (I mean the conspiracy theories) but I feel its too far from the subject matter at hand. Would you rather I private message or may I ask it here?
    Sure, you can post here or ask in PM, whatever you feel comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Amazing writeup! I especially like your idea on why trade is such a big part of all their incarnations. I am also a bit surprised you didn't delve into their possible connection to Heroes and Slashers considering the slasher book, mind answering why? I assume it's because it doesn't really tie into their overall goals. And I would like to say, how interesting that the two conspiracies heavily based in Greece focus on intertwining the supernatural with the human. Just one through the channeling of relics and one through the integration of monstrosity (it also reminds me of their stereotypes for each other)

A couple more questions. Why the council of bones next? I find that an interesting choice as you've said yourself that it's a conspiracy you've struggled with, up to the point of write ups exploring this conflict you have.

And finally, my next question is a related to this series of threads (I mean the conspiracy theories) but I feel its too far from the subject matter at hand. Would you rather I private message or may I ask it here?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X