Extra Philadelphia Material?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Philadelphia Material?

Has anyone set their games in the city, and have they made or found any good resources to help set them there?

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Check the fanbook Dream Catchers, we threw in plenty of good Philly material for usage.

Comment

Thank you for that! I read through it and you guys included some stuff which was really good for illustrating the culture.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

That's not "you guys", that's Flyboy

I'm British, Flyboy is actually from Philidelphia. We both wrote for the appendix but the stuff on Philly's culture is Flyboy's work

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Oh, awesome.

Well, if there's anything else or any other sources you recommend for digging into Philly as a city, please let me know, I'm trying to find as many different resources which give colorful descriptions of the city culture as possible.

Thank you both for Dream Catchers!

Comment

Watch any footage you can find of our sports fans, that's always a good start.

Comment

Hunter, faeries, sports. Flyboy you've got to read London Falling

Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

What'chu need to know?

-Philly native

Comment

if there's one thing I know about philidelphians, op, it's that they like to talk about their home, philidelphia

Comment

That's not true. Sometimes we bitch about Pittsburgh and Baltimore too!

Comment

And hating on New York, don't forget hating New York.

And Ben Franklin. Sweet Jesus, Ben Franklin.

Also, Leaper, if you're gonna write down the city at least use the proper grammar and spelling. It's a major city and you're dealing with people from it.

Comment

There's also a strong culture of loyalty and love of sports teams. I was once told a riot in Philly after a major win was "drunken revelry", from the mouth of a native Philadelphian.

Comment

Are Philadelphians particularly proud of Ben Franklin?

I'll admit the extent of my time in Philly was passing through, going to Geno's Steaks and being a bit put off by all the bald eagles and all caps "WE ONLY ACCEPT ORDERS IN ENGLISH" stuff.

Do you guys as native Philadelphians think that the World of Darkness version of the city overplays the loyalty to neighborhoods? In the neighborhoods you're from, do you know a lot of the people in your neighborhoods? Or is life there more anonymous?

Comment

Ben Franklin is the patron saint of Philadelphia. Can't take two steps without seeing him on a poster, an ad, or in giant statue form.

Taking that as a cue, you could say that the city reflects his lifestyle and values. We're loyal to a fault, we're passionate and stubborn, we work extremely hard on the things that matter to us, and when we join a celebration, it turns into an epic event. Think of the worst New York neighborhood with all its crime blended perfectly with the best of Paris.

As for the neighborhoods, they shift very slowly and are fairly homogenous, so it's an easy way to identify a stranger.

One other thing of note is, we're connected to Camden, New Jersey by the Ben Franklin Bridge. In the early 1900s, Camden was an affluent city, but has since become one of the murder capitals of the USA. Long story short, the police had to abandon it for a few years, because they didn't have the budget to defend it.

More crime = Less legitimate citizens living there = Less taxes = Less money for cops = More crime, etc.

They very recently started taking it back, but they have to rely on military tech similar to what we use in Iraq and Afghanistan just to secure a foothold because it's so lawless.

If I had to WoD the city, I'd say it's primarily Union, with some Ascending One and Net0 gangs making a buck, a pocket of AKD in the museum district, and a very strong group of affluent Ashwood Abbey.

To the west of Philadelphia is God fearing people fit for The Long Night, and to the east of Philadelphia in Camden is prime vampire feeding ground with an opportunity to get away with TF:V style action directly in public.

Comment

As badass as this is, I'm still betting on Zeus.

Comment

Working...
                              X