Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why You Want Book of Judges Hunter

Forty years- forty long years.

Almost no one is left to remember how life where before the desert. All have died out, their bones were left buried in the drifting sands. Even the mighty leader who led them through the desert, who saved their ancestors in the time of need with the help of a god long forgotten was left behind. Now, all that they have left is the faith in the faceless deity who saved them. He left another to lead them, and he did his work faithfully. Under his leadership and His divine help, they have managed to return to their ancient homeland.

The Promised Land.

The battle was harsh, and the war was desperate- but eventually, they managed to settle there. But no one lives forever, and even their new leader has died. The elders were the next to guide them, but no one can fight against the time. Eventually, no one was left to remember the old miracles, no one was left to them new miracles. There was no one to unite them- no great king or general- and so they scattered, each taking his own territory. They had their priests and clerics, sure- but their god was so far way. And all the people around them has worshiped other gods- divinities which were much closer. Those deities had face and a name, and everyone could become their holy servant. Much more available. What harm would be made from worshiping one or two more gods? Everyone do that. Why should their own, distant god care so much?

But He cares. And he angers.

And so, they sin. And so, they're punished. But there is hope- every time it looks like the end has came, one of them rises. Inspired by Him, they see the sins of their own people and wish to repent. They remind them the old laws, destroy the false idols and banish the heresies which corrupt their brothers and sisters. They are not united- each sees things differently, understand the grand plan from another angle. Some see visions and hear the whispers of their patron. Others simply know what needs to be done. Their people has sinned- and they'll be the ones to Judge them, so God would not have to.

You are one of the simple people of the twelfth tribes. You try to live your life as peaceful as possible. You are faithful to your God- making the right sacrifices, not eating anything you shouldn't eat, not stealing or commiting any other crime. Lately, you notice that something strange is happening in your city- the people talk about a new god, one which can do great miracles, greater then those of the holy priests. Those news trouble you, and you go to check it out. In the middle of the night, you follow the believers of the false god and see them gather around a beautiful being, like the statues built by the local Canaanite. Then, it open its mouth, and you see its sharp fangs as it draws near to drink from its faithful. You are horrified, but there must be a reason you have seen that horror. God has chosen you to save your people from their own sins. And that "god"- it needs to be broken like the statue it seems like.

You are one of the Judges. You are a leader, inspired by God to guide the lone Israelis in the foreign land. You know about the dangers which hide the the darkness- the Lilim, children of the owl she-demon, break the law against eating the blood, consuming the souls of the innocents. The nephilim, the descendants of the Sons of God and mortal women, are mockeries who carry divine spirit in mortal flesh- and so they are abominations before God. Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live- that was the law, yet many break it. Necromancers and cloud readers, diviners and illusionists, sorcerers and false prophets, each commits the same sin in a different way. Worse, they lure others to sin, using their dark miracles and unholy spells. They must be stopped. But those are only the dangers of the night- the day present a different kind of danger. The Canaanites don't like the presence of the Hebrews in their land, and so they attack them. It must be a sign for God's displease. Once the dark monsters would be banished, peace would return. In the meanwhile, someone is needed to guide the faithful through the war, a divine general and leader- and that someone is you.

You are one of the seven tribes of Canaan. You have many gods- one to bring the rain, another to bring the sun. One to protect against the night, another to bring plague. You need to appease all of them, for they are wild and childish beings. But you can understand them- like you, they enjoy god wine and nice music. They don't always answer your prayers, but it is ok- after all, it is really hard to appease so many deities. It makes sense that to may hurt the feelings of one of them. Lately, the answer your prayers less and less- it must be the Hebrews fault. How many times you came to your temple and discovered your Baalim shattered and your Asheroth burned? They and their Judges bring only trouble, for it makes your gods angry- and when they are angry, bad things happen. But their god is powerful, and your people were defeated again and again against them. You need to protect yourself somehow, for you know that there are demons walking in the night. You should make an offering to Anat- she must be powerful enough to help you.

And through all that war and bloodshed, by listening very closely, one could hear the drums. Near the city state who would be known as Jerusalem, many are gathered in a ritual. The drums are so strong you can barely hear yourself think. The Fire is so strong you need to hold yourself not to scream in pain. The smoke is so heavy, that you can't see the green grass and pleasant flowers. Sometimes, the ones to do the rite are the Canaanite. On others, they are the Hebrews. But the principle is the same- blood, drums and fire. The priests come with a person, who hold a small, frightened figure in his hands- his own child. You can't hear him cry, and you can't hear the prayer the father says- but it isn't relevant. Suddenly, the father rise his child and throws him into the flame. The sound of the drums becomes louder and louder, trying to silence the screams of the sacrifice. And then, it is over. Another one was given to the hungry fires of Moloch. This ritual must be stopped. That idol must be shattered. That demon must be banished.

And those who did that horrible deed- they must be Judged.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

You're making the decision so damn tough. This is a really good pitch.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Not for me, Biblical hunter was already getting my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Blogging the Bible
        And there the book ends, with a marvelous, hit-the-nail final verse: "In those days there was no King in Israel; all the people did what was right in their own eyes." This perfectly captures the pessimistic, Hobbesian outlook of this book. Men who abandon God—and reject earthly authority—will find themselves in a chaotic, frightful land, a place of hideous crime and persistent idolatry, a place where law is dead, and only personal vengeance remains.
        That's how I'd imagine a book of judges based game. A chaotic lawless time where strength ruled; but with god(s) and morality noticeable being ignored, not absent. It's a time when everyone thinks with their fists, but it's a choice they make. They could rise above it, choose to follow God's laws instead.

And trying to fix this whole mess would be a completely valid goal. After all, the next book is Samuel.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Sure, that was a violent time and all, but this was a post about Hunters. I didn't had a lot of time or energy to expand the warlord angle (I'm during my finales, and they are killing me). I really hope that if the Dark Era would enter the book, it would also deal with the war of conquest and the fact that as a Judge you were also a general, a leader and a/ or a prophet (also, one of the things I like about Judges is that women were ones too. The story of Deborah was one of my favorites). Anyway, sure, it was a brutal time- but in Hunter game, there should be some reference to the monsters in the dark and battles against false gods, right?

Damn. Now if that Era won't get into the book, I' would have to write it down. I have ideas for both Hebrew and Canaanite hunters, plus expanding the Cult of Moloch into conspiracy like organization.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

It's more that judges aren't saving people from their sins; but from forigners/monsters.

Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

You should support Werewolf now, guys, with the difference on voting scales. It's the closest you will get to your era, with the game that at least share the themes of Hunt with Hunter.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                It's more that judges aren't saving people from their sins; but from forigners/monsters.
                And this is where we go to biblical interpetation- because from what I've learned, there is no such difference. The reason the Cannanite attack the Israeli is because the Israeli sin (from the biblical point of view), and the Judges come to save their people both from their enemies and make sure that God won't be angry again. That idea goes through all of the book, and even beyond it (that is, if something bad is happening to you, God must be angry- you better try and check what you did wrong and fix it!

And Wyrdhamster- really, not the place.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                  you better try and check what you did wrong and fix it!
                  And that's where you're wrong. The Judges don't really fix the cause, only the symptoms. Sampson did nothing to change the behaviour of the Israelites.

Comment

And you have other stories in Judges that do support my angle. The Judges were there to save the Israeli from their own sins, which were manifested in the form of the wars with the Canaanite. They sinned again, sure, but they were guides and leaders of their people, working by the laws of God. Again, I'm not sating this is the only interpretation, but this is the one used during my religion studies in High School. There is no "wrong" interpretation of the bible (at least, today. Once, you would end up stoned to death :P)

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I interpret the bible as a thinly veiled propaganda piece for Celtic Druidism ;p

Comment

me too! we should open a club for that!

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I still think that our fellow Hunters brothers should support Roman Werewolf Era in poll voting - at least one historical period about the Hunt would pass then, compared to the "courtly intrigue's" of Ottoman's Empire. Biblical Hunter just do not have chances now in the poll voting.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

You know, if I were to change my vote (and I'm not), it would be for Demon. I like Hunter not because you chase things down and kill them, but because you are a little human who fight against all chances. You seek to being light into the shadows, and you always on the edge of thinking "what a monster is?". Sure, Hunt is a major feature of being an Hunter- but there is in Vigil more then hunting. In Werewolf, you hunt because you must. In Vigil, you hunt because you want. You can always turn your back to the darkness and pretend to live normal life- it is about sacrifice, risk and the greatest and lowest mankind could get. Werewolf just doesn't share that- and it is a good thin, being a game of its own. Plus, we already have a book about Rome, so I'm not that excited for another such Era. Pre-industrial Demon- well, that's more interesting.

In short, the fact that in both Hunter and Werewolf you hunt things, it doesn't mean that the fact that I am a fan of one game turns me automatically into the fan of the other.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

...It has been all quiet here since it came back with the second chances poll...

I still wanted it

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                              X