No announcement yet.

Why You Want Book of Judges Hunter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, certainly not someone that the Arisen would think worthy of the name. But apparently he survived single combat with a freshly woken Shuankhsen, so props to that guy. His name's Eli, but not as in the Eli who was the teacher of Samuel, the last Judge of Israel before King David. He's just a guy named Eli who is seen as a holy man by King Asa and is charged with expelling foreign cults, such as those of the Arisen and Shuankhsen.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Wow. I was not expecting Judges to be nearly that powerful, I was expecting them to be more on the level of a Tier 3 Hunter.

Now I hope to see Judges made, but I know if I do it they'll end up designed specifically to be a thematic opposite to Leviathan (and I already have two antagonist splats designed for that exact thematic niche).

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
      My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
      Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I think that in that particular case he got lucky and grabbed a Relic to smite it with, but he also smashed one of its canopic jars, but the writeup indicates that the Judges have some way of resisting Utterances and Affinities, and that they also carry Relics.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

So that's why Sampson use a Jawbone as a weapon.

Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

It actually says they have 'True Faith' that defends them from Utterances and affinities. Capitalisation and everything.

Comment

They're going to have to fluff that really well to describe Sampson as having True Faith. Dude's basically Frat Bro: Ancient Judea

Comment

According to the venerable theologian Wikipedia, Samson had his powers from being a Nazirite. It's sounds a bit like a benediction in the way it works.

Comment

not exactly- other than both being a God granted powers, there is a little imagination between his "super power" and Benedictions- the later is ritualistic power who invokes the saints. The former comes from a self imposed taboo and primal divinity. They should not work the same way.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Good thing I didn't say 'exactly' then.

Comment

I wouldn't say "exactly", I'd say "not even remotely similar".

Still, Sampson is by far the most famous judge, and the only one with explicitly superhuman powers. It seems only right that the WoD rules for Judges could be used to play Sampson, which means that someone who's piety is at the level of "marries philistines women and parties with philistines; then breaks the 6th commandment because a party riddle was solved". Well there'll have to be some very creative fluff to make Sampson fit under True Faith.

Or I suppose True Faith might be just one of the Judge powers; and Sampson took super strength instead. That would work.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                        I wouldn't say "exactly", I'd say "not even remotely similar".
                        It's a ritual power based on the power of God which is governed by fulfilling arbitrary demands rather than any apparent actual faith. That's the part that made me think of Benedictions.

Comment

Just to confirm, Book of Judges covers the same era as the Mighty Despair chapter of Sothis Ascends? Or is this before the Second Sothic Turn?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                            Just to confirm, Book of Judges covers the same era as the Mighty Despair chapter of Sothis Ascends? Or is this before the Second Sothic Turn?
                            Before that, if I'm not mistaken- as far as I remember, the Second Turn takes place after the kingdoms of Israel and Judah are established, while the time of Judges is when the Israelites still don't even have a king.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                            X