No announcement yet.

New Conspiracy: Aki Ten

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Proximi, I do have a writeup for a line of Tsuchimikado Proximi (inspired by Pendragon's homebrew). I'll post it on the relevant thread when it's done, but I'll probably add the caveat that other Dynasties may have existed within the Omnyodo, and that the Tsuchimikado are a collection of closely related lineages who share a Path (Thyrsus) and Blessing Arcana (Fate, Life, Spirit).

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

you know that the 5 elments are a chense thing not a japanse thing the 5 elments for japen is fire water earth air vold

Comment

Originally posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
        you know that the 5 elments are a chense thing not a japanse thing the 5 elments for japen is fire water earth air vold
        their aren't Shinto priests. They are bearers of the Onmyodo tradition, which is greatly influenced from Chinese philosophies, and does recognize Wu Xing as one of its foundations.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
        I now blog in here

Comment

ops my mistake sorry about that also the reason im posting so much on your comspiracys is that in trying to limit it down as possable so i can pick from a few if my stroyteller ok with homebrew and thinks my 1st hunter isnt ok for hes game also i dont have a stroyteller yet so im looking

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            Way of the Beast
            The Aki Ten know about the Begotten. Their old scrolls and ancient writings tell a story about a great beast-god of the water named Owatatsumi Kami who established a great empire of monsters and ruled the land. That was a dark time for the people of Edo, but the Aki Ten tell about that time with pride- for during that Era, the foundations of the organization has fought the monsters and bound 999 shikigami in a war against the armies of the god. The scrolls also tell about how certain traitors- sorcerers under the leadership of Nakatomi- worked together with the Water God in order to learn their secrets instead of working to protect the people of Japan. While the shikigami of the Onmyouji were powerful, they couldn't fight against the dark empire by themselves. Eventually, the elders of the Onmyodo thought about a plan- they trapped one of the Water God's generals and bound his soul, forcing his secrets through secret commands, until eventually he tolled the fear even the children of Izanami feared- Heroes, and how they were made.

While the group knew that Heroes existed, they were unaware of their exact nature. Thanks to the trapped Fire God's information, they used their dream shikigami and breached into the Primordial Dream until they found Izanagi himself. They met with the great god three times- in the first time, they asked him honorably, yet he refused. The second time, they praised his name and sacrificed 100 shikigami to him, yet he refused. In the third, they found his bane and bound his soul to their command, and he could not refuse anymore. Under their ritual, Izanagi activated the years long curse he used upon his dead wife on her children- they may devour 1000 souls, but 1500 Heroes would rise to stop them.

That was the Dawn of Heroes, and under the guidance of the Onmyodo the Guilds were formed and both the empire and its god has fallen to ruin. While the organization was happy to see that their efforts were bearing fruit, the years long battle has weakened them- and when Meiji rose he disbanded the group as political entity and forced them to work underground, an act which resulted with the crumbling of the shikigami's bindings and let the Heroes run wild. Some wondered if it was a punishment by Izanagi for their pride at binding one of the greatest god as a lowly shikigami, and maybe they are not worthy anymore for ruling over the spirits as their masters and equals.

That's were the scrolls end, but the story of the Aki Ten just began. In modern times, the New Way can't even dream about forcing one of the divine rulers to their will, not speaking about a being like Izanagi- but they did learned how to bind the children of his sister. The process to do so is a complex one and filled with dangers, yet if it is done correctly the Aki Ten would find a very powerful servant at his aide.

In order to bind a Beast as a shikigami, the hunter must first find an Hero. While hiring an Hero is not that hard, the problem comes when he understand that the hunter doesn't want to kill the monster- just to make it his slave. It takes some negotiation, but every person has his price. Once the Hero is willing to cooperate, both of them need to go into the Lair of the Beast and find her Horror- the ceremony can't work on the human body of the monster. Afterward, the Hero need to fight the Beast and inflict it with Anathema, while the hunter use that Anathema as the monster's Bane in order to bind it like a spirit with a Rank equal to her Lair- which means that any Beast with a Lair of 6 and above is immune. If everything goes the right way, the hunter would get a new shikigami. If not, his only hope is to sacrifice as many shikigami (and, usually, the Hero) in order to escape. One upside is that thanks to the Unnatural hunger of the Beast, they can use any shikigami as a "bait" in order to make the binding easier.

While a Beast shikigami is a sign for great power which give the hunter respect from all the other members of the conspiracy, they are also kinda a pain to maintain. They must be kept in a very special state of Hunger- starve them too much, and they'll break free (Satiety of 0). Feed them too much, and they'll fall to sleep. Plus, Heroes would still try to kill them, which means you'll have to protect the assess constantly from the Guilds. While under the compulsion, the Beast can't expand Satiety or rise its Lair trait without permission (although time-based Satiety losing can not be stopped). In an addition, unlike spirits and the rest of the shikigami, Beasts are a lot more self aware- and while they must fulfill the commands given to them they may bend the true meaning of the Onmyouji in order to find a way out. For all of those reasons, trapping a Beast as a shikigami is seen more like a White Elephant than a useful tool, and many hunters just don't bother.

From the Begotten's point of view, the Aki Ten are a nuance- foolish people who mess up with things they shouldn't do. As long as they limit themselves to other monsters, they don't mind- but when it comes to their family, things can get ugly really quickly. More then once Beasts banded with other monsters to fight the Aki Ten who work with the Guilds. Still, from time to time, a Beast and an hunter do work together, either out of interest or true respect. While Beasts do not target the Aki Ten as Kin (usually), they can bond with their shikigami, which can create all kinds of exotic Nightmares. Still, from time to time, the Beasts discover that a certain member of the group is Family- especially those who are found in the top of the organization, the ones to carry the old blood and which are loved by the spirits. Anyone with the Spirit Beloved merit which is a part of the Aki Ten or a similar group is a Kin to monsters- a fact which the Begotten find as amusing and the Aki Ten as disturbing.
            This gives me an idea for a Nightmare drawn from Spirit Beloved that would allow a Beast to control control spirits, much like how how the Aki Ten can, or one that convinces a normal human that the Beast commands powerful, otherworldly forces.

...Also, any chance the Aki Ten could create a ritual to bind/control a Insatiable?

Regardless, I am loving this Conspiracy, and it makes me think of Shaman King and similar summoner tropes. Any additional plans for the New Way?

And lastly, how are full relations between the Aki Ten and Aegis Kai Doru? Since the Aki Ten are effectively creating relics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post

This gives me an idea for a Nightmare drawn from Spirit Beloved that would allow a Beast to control control spirits, much like how how the Aki Ten can, or one that convinces a normal human that the Beast commands powerful, otherworldly forces.

...Also, any chance the Aki Ten could create a ritual to bind/control a Insatiable?

Regardless, I am loving this Conspiracy, and it makes me think of Shaman King and similar summoner tropes. Any additional plans for the New Way?

And lastly, how are full relations between the Aki Ten and Aegis Kai Doru? Since the Aki Ten are effectively creating relics.
              glad to hear that you love them! About binding Insatiable- the technique used to bind Beast would probably fail when using upon them, and if one of them managed to take over a bound Begotten the binding would probably shatter. If they were to find a way to bind such creatures, it would be presented as some sort of a merit, similarly to the one used to bind merit level templates. The process, however, may be even more demanding than binding a Beast, as the Insatiable are always hungry, and may require constant sacrifice of shikigami just in order to maintain them under control. Even if such process does exist, most of the Aki Ten would probably see it as waste of time at best and heresy at worst- but who know how what kind of forbidden rituals hide in their libraries, and what may happen if a hunter which no longer distinguish right from wrong would decide to use them to bring disaster upon both their enemies and themselves?

As for the AKD/Aki Ten relationships, I assume it is more or less how it works with them and the Ascending Ones- the Spirit Projectors are purely technological creations which manipulate the data and rituals needed to summon a shikigami at much higher speeds. The silicon Ofuda amulets are the "true relic", but can only be used by the summoner which bound the shikigami, for personal use. The AKD would see those creations in the same way they see Elixirs- secrets which should be theirs, by all cost.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

glad to hear that you love them! About binding Insatiable- the technique used to bind Beast would probably fail when using upon them, and if one of them managed to take over a bound Begotten the binding would probably shatter. If they were to find a way to bind such creatures, it would be presented as some sort of a merit, similarly to the one used to bind merit level templates. The process, however, may be even more demanding than binding a Beast, as the Insatiable are always hungry, and may require constant sacrifice of shikigami just in order to maintain them under control. Even if such process does exist, most of the Aki Ten would probably see it as waste of time at best and heresy at worst- but who know how what kind of forbidden rituals hide in their libraries, and what may happen if a hunter which no longer distinguish right from wrong would decide to use them to bring disaster upon both their enemies and themselves?
                It's a writeup waiting to happen.

If I were to put some mechabics into this hypothetical ritual, I can see the drawback incorporating the Schism in some way. Any attempt at binding an Insatiable would have to involve some means of containing that malignant influence.

On a related note, the Aki Ten and their focus on magic might have room to include a section for stranger occult powers. A member who dabbles in something like either Azothic alchemy or Sekhem sorcery could be considered a deviant at best, or a traitor at worst.

And speaking of Deviants....

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Actually, I had another thought concerning Aki Ten: is it possible for them to use their technology and rituals to bind spirits into techno-fetish weapons? Either for their own use or to for those they employee to help weaken or subjugate spirits?

Also, what kind of magic would they use that doesn't involve binding Shikigami?

I mean, there can't be many of them, and they'd need all the help they can get to establish supremacy over spirits.

Also, I thought of a reason Aki Ten might value having a Beast, either as an ally or servant, since a Beast could temporarily strengthen their Shikigami through Mother's Kiss, or would that risk the Shikigami breaking free?
                  Last edited by Mangaholic13; 09-28-2017, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Actually, I had another thought concerning Aki Ten: is it possible for them to use their technology and rituals to bind spirits into techno-fetish weapons? Either for their own use or to for those they employee to help weaken or subjugate spirits?

Also, what kind of magic would they use that doesn't involve binding Shikigami?

I mean, there can't be many of them, and they'd need all the help they can get to establish supremacy over spirits.

Also, I thought of a reason Aki Ten might value having a Beast, either as an ally or servant, since a Beast could temporarily strengthen their Shikigami through Mother's Kiss, or would that risk the Shikigami breaking free?
                    A segment on Aki Ten techno-fetishes would be an interesting one to write. If we went with whatever technology and rituals the Aki Ten have by default, perhaps their Spirit Projectors could be used to compel spirits into Fettering themselves? Of course, such fettered items would not be true fetishes.

Alternatively, they could enlist the services of other powers. Werewolves (or maybe at least some Wolf-Blooded) could easily create fetishes for them. The same could be said if they approached a Mage, certain Proximi with the right Blessings, or even a Ghost/Spirit Mage or Morphean.

As for what other kind of magic might be used by the New Way, I have wondered if the conspiracy might have more than a few Azothic alchemists and Sekhem sorcerers as well.
                    Last edited by Deionscribe; 09-28-2017, 04:58 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

about making "techno-fetishes"- while the concept is cool and all, something like that should not be a core part of the Aki Ten's Endowments. The skills necessary to summon and bind Shikigami do not require any spiritual awareness or ability which is needed to make the said fetishes. If there are such items in the conspiracy's possession, they should be created by the Spirit Blessed members of the group, and be bought by the regular members as merits outside of the conspiracy (maybe with some Status based discount). That means that people outside of the Aki Ten would also be able to buy such merits, which makes sense- in fact, the Aki Ten may even equip such "auxiliary forces" with "lesser graded" equipment (for the abilities of a spirit are much more flexible than the ones of a fetish). The ability to make such fetishes should be a merit by its own right- again, one which does not the character to be a part of the conspiracy, but perhaps may require other supernatural merits (such as thew Spirit Blessed) as an ability. There may be, on the other hand, a merit which requires the Shikigami Endowment, and that allows you to temporary channel your shikigami through a weapon or a similar item. Note- the Ofuda used to bind the shikigami are, actually, fetishes, created by the Spirit Blessed of the conspiracy using technological tools. The Projector itself is, on the other hand, just a computer- a powerful one, but nothing mystical about it.

The same thing goes to any special ability in the form of "outside magic". There actually are a lot of shikigami in the conspiracy's offices, even though most of them are low ranked ephemeral beings. The core assumption is that any shikigami the hunter has they should have captured them by their own- the conspiracy may hand you a low Rank shikigami or two at the beginning, but other than that you are on your own. The number of shikigami you have is directly proportional to your own capabilities as an hunter, and as such the conspiracy as whole doesn't come and teach you all kinds of special, new magic. If you want it, go search for it on your own- and that includes things like Sekhem Sorcery and alchemy, even though the conspiracy doesn't really understand (or care) about those forms of magic, as they are "lowly" and "non respectful" (not to mention the fact that by becoming an alchemist a Spirit Blessed would lose their merit- even though they can buy it again by stealing Vitriol. Hence why that technique is frowned upon- it is cheating, and the elders may even banish a person like that from the conspiracy). Note that all members of the Aki Ten do get an Honorary Rank, which gives them all kinds of benefits when interacting with the spirit world, for the spirits do recognize the conspiracy as a part of the Shadow Hierarchy.

Finally- yes, the Aki Ten may have their Shikigami enhanced by having them bonded with a Beast without the binding to break. The thing is that the relationship between the Aki Ten and the spirit world are a bit complicated, for while the spirits dislike being bound they do respect the conspiracy's authority (see the Honorary Rank), and as such they do accept that if the organization have managed to bind them, they are to serve them until freed (or dead). If, however, one were to eliminate all Spirit Blessed in the conspiracy and proof it to the local spirit courts, the Rank would be removed and the Shikigami would get out of control. That's what almost happened during the Meiji Restoration, actually.

I now blog in here

Comment

There may be, on the other hand, a merit which requires the Shikigami Endowment, and that allows you to temporary channel your shikigami through a weapon or a similar item.
                        I see. Any suggestions on how such a merit might function mechanically?

Note that all members of the Aki Ten do get an Honorary Rank, which gives them all kinds of benefits when interacting with the spirit world, for the spirits do recognize the conspiracy as a part of the Shadow Hierarchy.

Finally- yes, the Aki Ten may have their Shikigami enhanced by having them bonded with a Beast without the binding to break. The thing is that the relationship between the Aki Ten and the spirit world are a bit complicated, for while the spirits dislike being bound they do respect the conspiracy's authority (see the Honorary Rank), and as such they do accept that if the organization have managed to bind them, they are to serve them until freed (or dead). If, however, one were to eliminate all Spirit Blessed in the conspiracy and proof it to the local spirit courts, the Rank would be removed and the Shikigami would get out of control. That's what almost happened during the Meiji Restoration, actually.
                        Ah, so that is how it works! Thank you for the insight

Also, do I smell a potential Dark Era?

Comment

Also, do I smell a potential Dark Era?
                          If there is, I would second it.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I see. Any suggestions on how such a merit might function mechanically?
                            ammmm not sure- I assume it would be something like channeling the shikigami's Influence/Numina/any other power through a "sacred medium" (like a ritual sword, or a cherry wood crafted bow and arrow blessed by a miko). I'll add it to me to do list- but there are some other things I need to write first, so if you (or anyone else) feels creative, they can feel free to write one and PM it to me for review, and then post it in here.

As for the Meiji Restoration Dark Era- maybe. I have a concept for it (especially for Changeling, as I have detailed somewhere before), but I'm currently working on my First Temple Era. If someone were to start such fan project in the forums, however, I'll be happy to contribute.

I now blog in here

Comment

ammmm not sure- I assume it would be something like channeling the shikigami's Influence/Numina/any other power through a "sacred medium" (like a ritual sword, or a cherry wood crafted bow and arrow blessed by a miko). I'll add it to me to do list- but there are some other things I need to write first, so if you (or anyone else) feels creative, they can feel free to write one and PM it to me for review, and then post it in here.

As for the Meiji Restoration Dark Era- maybe. I have a concept for it (especially for Changeling, as I have detailed somewhere before), but I'm currently working on my First Temple Era. If someone were to start such fan project in the forums, however, I'll be happy to contribute.
                              Okay, how about this:

Merit: Weapon Mediums 000
                              Prerequisites: Shikigami 0, Aki Ten Status 00

While it is true that the New Way's power rest with their Shikigami, that is not to say Aki Ten will force their bound servants to do all the fighting, especially since some are too important or useful to risk being losing in combat. Further, even with their Shikigami, there are not enough Onmyoji simply do not have the numbers to subdue troublesome spirits by themselves. Using a combination of modern manufacturing methods and various ancient blessing, cleansing, and purification rituals, the Aki Ten have been able to create a number of different weapons that also function as sacred mediums for their Shikigami's powers. This process enables a Shikigami, when commanded by its' master, to imbue the weapon with some of its' spiritual essence, modifying the weapon's abilities. Note that without someone nearby possessing Shikigami, these weapons are little different than fancier looking versions of their mundane counterparts (much to the frustration of those members of Aegis Kai Doru who have been able to "procure" one and avoid dying in reprisal).

Because of this, members of Aki Ten will sometimes gift these weapons to favored bodyguards, retainers, or subordinates, though it is considered rude to do so without first asking for the blessing of ones superior.

Mechanics:
                              A Weapon Medium has the same qualities and stats of it's regular counterpart. When imbued with a spirit's power, the weapon gains the following qualities:

+Rank to damage and speed
                              Can hit ephemeral enemies
                              If spirit that imbued the weapon has influence over the opposed spirits bane, additional effects and bonus are added.

How is that to start, LostLight?

Comment

Okay, how about this:

Merit: Weapon Mediums 000
                                Prerequisites: Shikigami 0, Aki Ten Status 00

While it is true that the New Way's power rest with their Shikigami, that is not to say Aki Ten will force their bound servants to do all the fighting, especially since some are too important or useful to risk being losing in combat. Further, even with their Shikigami, there are not enough Onmyoji simply do not have the numbers to subdue troublesome spirits by themselves. Using a combination of modern manufacturing methods and various ancient blessing, cleansing, and purification rituals, the Aki Ten have been able to create a number of different weapons that also function as sacred mediums for their Shikigami's powers. This process enables a Shikigami, when commanded by its' master, to imbue the weapon with some of its' spiritual essence, modifying the weapon's abilities. Note that without someone nearby possessing Shikigami, these weapons are little different than fancier looking versions of their mundane counterparts (much to the frustration of those members of Aegis Kai Doru who have been able to "procure" one and avoid dying in reprisal).

Because of this, members of Aki Ten will sometimes gift these weapons to favored bodyguards, retainers, or subordinates, though it is considered rude to do so without first asking for the blessing of ones superior.

Mechanics:
                                A Weapon Medium has the same qualities and stats of it's regular counterpart. When imbued with a spirit's power, the weapon gains the following qualities:

+Rank to damage and speed
                                Can hit ephemeral enemies
                                If spirit that imbued the weapon has influence over the opposed spirits bane, additional effects and bonus are added.

How is that to start, LostLight?
                                ammm the description is a bit troublesome- first, it assumes that the Aki Ten have really few numbers- which is not really true. They have at least as many members as the Lucifuge and the Otodo. Sure, they have big dreams, but since when that has stopped someone from trying? I think that such description should be emphasis on making the Aki Ten sound awesome and cool, not weak and vulnerable. Players should want to take a merit to feel that it makes them better, not to compensate on some weakness. Instead of saying that the "Aki Ten can't deal with the spirit world", say that "the greatest heroes among them decide to take the battle to their own hands" or that "some has found a way to strength the bond between them and their shikigami beyond the normal capabilities, invoking them through holy relics blessed by the gods". You know, things which would make you say "I want to play that!".

as for the mechanics, I think it would be better for such items to be more than "just weapons"- the ability to hit ephemerals in Twilight and bonus damage by Rank is ok, but it should also be able to channel the powers of the spirit in question. For example, you should rate the merit from 1 to 5, when the rating is decided by the Rank of the channeled spirit. You could replace extra damage for dots in the spirit's Influences or Numina (1 Numen per dot). That gives the items a bit more personality than being "mass produced spirit weaponry", and allow such items which are not necessarily weapons. Add a mention for the fact that if the channeled spirit is freed/killed, you may replace it with an equivalent (or stronger) Shikigami, even though the rating of the item stays the same. Finally, I think that the name may not be the best choice, as it a bit plain- I recommend on calling them Shintai, for this is the term used for holy items seen as the "physical body of the gods".

That's at least, more or less what I had in mind when I suggested the merit.

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                                X