• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Conspiracy: Orchestra Fatalibus

Orchestra Fatalibus

Followers of the Song

[an harp covered with mystical runes]

Life is a great song.

Each laughter, each cry, each birth and each death. Every birth taken and every heart beating- all are a part of a great melody which flows through all. Most people just live through that song, letting themselves to be carried by the music. Others hear the music a bit better, and so they learn how to tune themselves in order to make the best sounds possible. Some, however, try to manipulate the great song to their own ends- they change the flow of music and create a terrible dissonance. The flow must be protected, fate must return to its course- or else the great destiny to which humanity is going to will flicker and die.

And this is where the Singers get into the picture.

The Orchestra Fatalibus tracks its origin up to the French Revolution. They were a group artists, especially musician, who decided supported the revolution, seeing it is a "great masterpiece of mankind". As they advanced in their rebellion against the nobles who played with the common folk like puppets, they stumbled upon an horrifying sight- in a room belonging to a great noble was a woman with eyes burning like fire which strangled someone who looked liker identical twin. They tried to stop her, but before they could she crushed the other woman's throat- and she turned into few wickers and stones. Then, she turned toward them and her face.. shimmered, revealing a form of pure flame both terrible and beautiful. She laughed on them and walked right out of the door, and as her skin turned to normal she started to run, leaving the musicians behind,

After the incident, the group has started to search after similar incidents. Through the courts, they stumbled upon similar cases again and again- a woman covered with spederwebs and bug like eyes who was binding her servant with strings while feeding on them. A man with blue skin who kidnapped commoners and kept them in cages as "pets", an hole in the wall leading to a world of thorny horror, beasts who walked like man and fought with swords and crystalline beings who dance on a floor covered in blood. Many members of the group has left after those sights, but the strongest were drawn toward them, enchanted by them. They planned to deal with those monsters after the establishment of the new order in the state- however, then the Reign of Terror rose, and with it the Cult of Reason. Seeing how those who supported things like religion and miracles were executed, the group decided to keep on a low profile. Remembering the horrors found in the nobles houses, they have started to thought that maybe they were mistaken. Perhaps the true enemies were not the mortal men, but the monsters who walked behind them. And maybe those monsters are still around, pulling the strings of brand new puppets.

Delving into secret lore and fighting against a common enemy, the group has found some unlikely allies who were also harmed by the efforts of the Reign of Terror- first, there were witches. Then, ghostwalkers and cultist. Eventually they even came to contact with bloodsuckers and shifters, until they have found what they searched for- the Fee, those who disrupted the music.

The Fae with whom they came to contact claimed that they were "changelings". Once they were human, but then they were kidnapped by some powerful beings they called as the "Keepers". Worse, they understood that the influence of the Fae was not limited to the noble houses- they have just stumbled upon those incidents by mistake. The agents of the Gentry were found everywhere, and some of them were even other changelings The nobles may be gone- but beings who represented the very concept of corrupted power were still around.

While the Reign of Terror eventually fell to ruin, the Singers kept working in the shadows. The true enemy hasn't left, and they lacked the ability to find or fight it. They have invested many time at research and gathering of resources, making contact with other groups of hunters who rose in France- still, unlike them, they preferred to avoid spilling blood. They were artists, not warriors. As such, every time they discovered information about the influence of one of the Fae, they simply gave the information into another group, one who was better suited to dealing with it. At first, they avoided sending intelligence about changelings, seeing them as victims. Yet, as time passed, they discovered some secrets their "friends" has hidden from them- the fact that they fed upon emotions, for example. Or that they were also able to manipulate fate and dreams just like their creators. Or that many of them has murdered someone who looks just like them to take his place. Eventually, they came to the conclusion that many of the horrors they saw during the Revolution were changelings. Apparently, the slave wasn't that different from its master.

Slowly and surely, the group grew. Naming themselves as the Orchestra Fatalibus, they became an intelligence network of nomad singers and musicians, sharing information through all of Europe. Using a complicated system of coded songs and melodies, there were able to secretly share information between each other through performances, so that they could pass that information to the right hunters. While most of the Singers invested most of their energy and finding and sharing information about monsters, others searched after more.. esoteric knowledge. Through their research, they have found traces of an older organization who unlocked the power of music in order to protect the destiny of mankind, which was based around the Songs of the Troubadours. By using those songs, they believed, they could finally be able to fight by themselves instead of constantly needing the help of other hunters.

And eventually, they did it.

Today, the Orchestra is a powerful, yet low profile, organization. They are found mainly in Europe, but they have spread through all of the Western world- and some even beyond it. They are still mostly an intelligence organization which maintain connections with dozen of other organizations, but thanks to their old Chansons du Destin, they can deal with some of the problems by themselves.

This is the song of mankind, and those who sing another need to be silenced.

Status
    0- You are a recent singer who joined the organization. You can spend merit points on the Chansons du Destin Endowment. You also get a Specialty in Performance for your choosing, and have a list of the coded songs of the conspiracy.
    000- You have traveled through the world, helping others to fight against the dark and reclaim their fate. Through your travels you have met many other people. Get Contacts for 2 dots
    00000- The song and you are one, and you know what needs to happen in order to make the song complete. Take the Unseen Sense (Talecrafting) for free.

Endowment- Chansons du Destin (1-5)
    The power of the Orchestra is rooted in their ability to influence fate- or more exactly, the people. From the Singer's point of view, there is no real difference between the two, for what we call "destiny" is simply an expression of who we are as a society, and to where our collective will leads us. So, instead of manipulating some esoteric power, the Singers influence groups of many people at once, creating the best song one could ever imagine while freeing them from the binds of other musicians.

The Chansons du Destin is a single Endowment, That Endowment has two different uses- the first is inspiration. For every dot in the Endowment, the Singer choose a single "Song", with each such song being directed toward a certain action. By rolling for performance, the Singer may make the audience preform that certain action. Each such "action" is based around a Condition given to the influenced which act as a second Virtue- an urge to commit that act. Sample Conditions could be "donating for charity", "fighting for your rights" or "catch the murderer". Once the act is fulfilled, the Inspired replenish his WP pool and the Condition is removed. For every day the Inspired doesn't commit the act, he must roll Willpower verse the Singers {Willpower + Endowment]. If he succeed, he loose a Willpower point and the Condition is removed. If he fails, he simply loose the Willpower. When first hearing the song, roll for Clash of Wills when using the Singer's dots in the Endowment as a Supernatural Resistance trait.

The other use for the Songs is countersong. If there is someone who is controlled by some sort of a supernatural manipuilation power (like Majesty, Dominance, Pledges, Disquiet, etc), the Singer may roll [Performance + Endowment] against the manipulator's Supernatural Resistance trait. Succeeding in the act means that the influence is broken for a number of hours equal to the dots in the Endowment. Exceptional success means that the enchantment is forever broken. Failure means that the Song has failed. Dramatic Failure means that not only the song failed, but that the victim recognize you as an enemy, and may try to attack you. For that reason, some Singers cage "patients" until they are sure the Enchantment is broken. it is for the greater good, after all.
    Last edited by LostLight; 06-28-2015, 02:06 PM.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Did... did you just include D&D bards on the Vigil?

Comment

yes, yes I did

I now blog in here

Comment

Do not they work better as Compact? They do not sound as multifaction, global organisation. Rather a small, but recognized, spy ring. Also, they Endowments work more as typical for Compacts.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Typical Compact Endowments have no supernatural edge- where theirs are some sort of subtle low magic. They are the same type of conspiracy like the Les Mysteres and the Cainte Heresy- only that instead of having some hidden patron they have a complicated network, which must have been advanced thanks to social media. They are scattered, sure- but some higher goal make them work together. If you think that they need some governing body to control and direct them, I can see a Council of Troubadours who connects all the scattered singers together.

It may also be a part of my inner dislike for compacts. See why I'm working on giving each of the existing compacts a more powerful Endowment.

I now blog in here

Comment

Stereotypes:
            Wild Society- noble goal. failed execution. They need to understand that the Song is in the human heart, not in the magics of the Fee
            Task Force: VALKYRIE- Ah- the Americans! They look down on us with their big gun- like our Songs are empty of power. Yet, when they walk in secret in our continent and need information- guess to whom they'll turn to?
            Network Zero- we use their services constantly. Their networks and social media are a great help at sending messages to our members through the world. You just need to make sure that there would be something interesting in the background of your clip.
            Cheiron Group- theirs is an old song. We have found poems telling about monsters from Greece, promising to heal your body yet poison your soul. You can hear the dissonance of their hearts and souls. Their voices need to be silenced.

"Don't you like that song? It is your Requiem, and I've have composed it just for you"

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
            X