Taking a Note from Heirs to Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a Note from Heirs to Hell

The Demon-Blooded rules from Heirs to Hell are pretty cool, and so I came up with a thought (dangerous things, those); what if there was a similar system put in place with the powers of Hell? Under this optional rule, anyone can pick up Castigations; however, only the Lucifuge may gain them safely.

So, without further ado...

Contracted
    You've made a contract with one of Hell's many demons; you feel pretty clever, since it looks like the demon got the short end of the deal. You gain a Castigation of the ST's choice, but can't attempt abjuration, warding, or binding against demons.
    Resolution: Either trigger some obscure loophole (unlikely), or renegotiate for Renegotiated.

Renegotiated
    You've decided to renegotiate; after all, your initial contract went so well, there obviously can't be anything wrong with adjusting the terms. As Contracted, except you gain a second Castigation of the ST's choice; you also suffer a -2 penalty to any dice pools to resist being possessed.
    Resolution: Either weasel yourself out of your contracts (unlikely), or renegotiate for the Obliged condition.

Obliged
    It can't hurt, can it? I mean, you've been having problems, and the demon's been so helpful in the past... a little more leeway can't hurt, can it? As Renegotiated, and you gain a third Castigation of the ST's choice; however, you can no longer gain Willpower from rest or surrender.
    Resolution: Either you can weasel your way out of this one (no chance in Hell, pardon my French), or you can finally renegotiate and become Damned.

Damned [Persistent]
    That clanging noise was the gates of Hell slamming shut behind you; you've finally sold your entire soul to Hell, with all the attendant drawbacks. This condition has all the same benefits and drawbacks as Obliged, except you also get a fourth Castigation of the ST's choice.
    The positives end there; the benefits of your Vice and Virtue are reversed, and any use of your Vice is a Breaking Point at a -5 penalty unless you've reached Integrity 1.
    Beat: Take a Beat whenever you lose Integrity due to fulfilling your Vice. You gain the Enervated condition upon hitting Integrity 1.
    Resolution: Unless you can get your soul back from Hell's finest lawyers (and they have a lot of them)... I'm sorry, but no. If you get another soul, you can recover Integrity as per the rules for recovering from Soul Loss, but doing so doesn't resolve this Condition (thank you for consigning another soul, asshole).

Making Deals with the Devil: Selling your souls for bits and pieces of power is a sucker's bet; a demon can give or resolve any of the above, but are understandably resistant to the idea of negotiating down.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

This definitely seems interesting and could drive the story but the price is a bit steep... So in context that is fitting. Maybe a lesser option should be present too but I can't think of what would be fitting.

Comment

Maybe let Demons offer a Castigation to someone for the scene, all Willpower costs pre-paid? Let you get a feel for the power, or whatever.

Though I just realized something; most Castigations are going to be useless to someone without a Castigation score. So maybe they get them at an effective one-dot rating, and Obliged moves that up to two dots? Maybe even have Damned move that up to three dots, so you're really cookin' with gas (And your soul. Which is burning in Hell.)

Thoughts?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

I agree that you bargain for more powers and strength to the bartered powers.

hmmm for the scene duration maybe a condition called "A taste" and the more they use it before sealing the agreement worse it is for them (fluff) but if they refuse the deal they can not gain the same castigation from this 'taste test'

Comment

What if demons can't sell Castigations, but Lucifuge can. What could they charge (and would lady Lucie approve?).

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
            What if demons can't sell Castigations, but Lucifuge can. What could they charge (and would lady Lucie approve?).
            Hmm... Interesting thought.

I don't think it would be a good idea to let them sell to each-other, though.

Comment

For lucifuge bartering their castigations I feel the rituals they have may interfere with it but the non-affiliated lucifuge, les Diablo I think may have an easier time if they gain access to such.

Comment

Working...
              X