Art of Witch Hunting [HtV perspective]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art of Witch Hunting [HtV perspective]

I run game of Mage and consider to use the witch hunters as antagonists to mine 6 PCs Awakened cabal - conspiracies of Division Six and Malleus Maleficarumspecificlly. I tired asking on Mage forum, but there consensus is that Sleepers ( "normal" hunters ) could not do much to mages without a very large outnumbering the PCs and massive firepower - at least from Mage line perspective.

But I hope that maybe on Hunter forum some good soul will have idea or information on sucessful tactics for Sleepers to put down group of few reality changing individuals. Maybe very dirty tricks that most hunters would not use in normal circumstances?

MtAw 2E - My Legacies and System Hacks Hubs
    WtF 2E - My Lodges and System Hacks Hubs
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

What are MM's goals exactly? How powerful are the magi?

If possible, I'd have the Hammer go after the families and friends of the characters. Then use them to set up ambushes, maybe even wire them with explosives. You could even set them in pairs so that one hostage being teleported away results in the automatic death of the other.

Also, how important do the MM see taking down the PCs? You kinda make it sound as if they know about the Hieromagus plot which to me would seem to indicate they'd be willing to field large numbers of hunters. When you're trying to stop the Apocalypse, you pull out all the stops.

Comment

1: Division Six

While Division Six is originally written as unwitting pawns of the Seers Panopticon, you could easily switch it around and say that they're deniable assets of another conspiracy. They have no real way to stand up in a direct fight, but Division Six is instead to be treated as a sidewinder of a compact; they know that they can't fight one-on-one, even one-on-ten. They're noted as being more willing to use booby traps, sniper rifles, methods that a mage needs to be paranoid about but, unless they're really good at detecting the future, can never truly be prepared for. Division Six is also probably the best way to use the threat of attacks on family and friends.

2: Malleus Maleficarum

The Malleus are set into three branches; one focuses on vampires first and foremost, one is dedicated to gathering information, and one is, put frankly, the Iscariot Organization from Hellsing. That said, the three don't necessarily always get along. The Malleus believe that witches are more than capable of being saved if they chose to being moral individuals, though the fanatics might decide that the witch can never use their powers again. While the Malleus can go toe-to-toe, they won't be unwilling to use family as a pressure point either.

It is important to note that Division Six considers magic, any magic, a dangerous thing. And they don't quite know the difference between a Malleus Benediction and an Awakened ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        What are MM's goals exactly?
        To take out False Messiahs the PCs are fortold to be - "those guys say they are someone like Jesus - Burn the Witch!" PCs will have Abyssal Taint on them, so it will not help their case. On Mage forum we come to idea maybe Knights of Saint George would be better, as game take place in London, most of the time. Or maybe alliance of MM and KSG? Both groups can now operate in UK, easily, as many aglicans become catholics, after 2009 apostolical constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus that let them.

How powerful are the magi?
        We talk here about truly Awakened PCs - with like 30 normal XP and 25 Arcane ones ( GMC rules using ). So it's cabal of advanced mages. They will be devided on begining of the game ( they do not remeber they own cabal from before ) so it's more bunch of single Awakened to take out - and taking them on "trial" or something, as we do not want to kill PCs on first game session, don't we?

If possible, I'd have the Hammer go after the families and friends of the characters. Then use them to set up ambushes, maybe even wire them with explosives. You could even set them in pairs so that one hostage being teleported away results in the automatic death of the other.
        Great idea on the paired hostages. Very "hunters are terrorist" feel.

Also, how important do the MM see taking down the PCs? You kinda make it sound as if they know about the Hieromagus plot which to me would seem to indicate they'd be willing to field large numbers of hunters. When you're trying to stop the Apocalypse, you pull out all the stops.
        For now, I think groups want to "question" or "examine" PCs - they are not sure what mages are ( in the Hieromagus plot only, hunters knows clearly that PCs are sorcerres ), "prophecies" are inconclusive and there is tiny, very small possibility they really are next Jesus. You know, typical mess after Archmasters sheningans and coming back from Abyss. Of course, those "revelations" are putted by Seers ( to the Division Six ) and, probably, rival Guradians ( to the MM or/both KSG ). Better to not stain your own bleads if you can use Mortal Hunters, who will also be busy chasing your own enemies, yes?
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-02-2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          But I hope that maybe on Hunter forum some good soul will have idea or information on sucessful tactics for Sleepers to put down group of few reality changing individuals. Maybe very dirty tricks that most hunters would not use in normal circumstances?
          Non-lethal chemical weapons would be my first choice. Tranq guns can be stocked with ammo that can cause an Mage to become unfocused within a single shot and fall unconscious very soon after. Flooding the area with carbon monoxide gas is another way to put them to sleep without them being alarmed.

If you're feeling really evil, adapt Scarecrow's Fear Gas from DC comics to be used against the Awakened. It's hard to cast spells when you're tripping.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock View Post
            If you're feeling really evil, adapt Scarecrow's Fear Gas from DC comics to be used against the Awakened. It's hard to cast spells when you're tripping.
            Dangerous as fuck to everyone around? Definitely. Difficult? Eh, you can form some pretty strong images when you're terrified.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Mind and Forces

Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Matter and Prime

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

Dangerous as fuck to everyone around? Definitely. Difficult? Eh, you can form some pretty strong images when you're terrified.
              The reason why I brought that up as a option was that there was a case were a Vampire's Nightmare was enough to terrify an Mage into going catatonic (I believe that was Lankin's game).

But yes. It's a gamble but you're already trying wrangle the Awakened so them flying spells is expected.

Comment

and one is, put frankly, the Iscariot Organization from Hellsing
                And with that you just sold me on playing a Malleus Hunter and getting in there with the heathen scum! ^___^

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  Or maybe alliance of MM and KSG?
                  Eh, that might not work too well. The Malleus are full-on Catholic Church. The Knights are more of a path of inspiration parading around like it's a fraternal charity. That's not to say there's a possibility of a temporary alliance, but there will be questions by the Malleus as to how, exactly, the Knights are able to make a witch basically turn on themselves.

Comment

We talk here about truly Awakened PCs - with like 30 normal XP and 25 Arcane ones ( GMC rules using ). So it's cabal of advanced mages.
                    I was meaning more what their arcana are like. Though I presume if there's six of them they probably cover all the arcana pretty well?

The Knights of St. George may not be a good idea if you're wanting to go with the mortal threat angle. Your characters aren't going to see the people as the threat but the horrible abyssal powers they use.

Comment

For now, I think groups want to "question" or "examine" PCs - they are not sure what mages are ( in the Hieromagus plot only, hunters knows clearly that PCs are sorcerres ), "prophecies" are inconclusive and there is tiny, very small possibility they really are next Jesus.
                      If they think there's any chance of that at all, however small, they'd be very wary about attacking the PC's through hostage loved ones.

Comment

As per the usual, the hardest thing to deal with is going to be proper use of Fate and Time magic. If you've got an Acanthus who is really on the ball it's going to be hard to set up anything without your mage group knowing about it before hand, and if they know it's coming, it's almost bound to fail.

Though this does specifically depend on how paranoid your players are and how often they read the future. If they only ever do so in response to known threats it won't be much of a problem, but if they scry the future at the start of everyday to see if anything bad is coming their way in the near future things get infinitely harder to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
                          As per the usual, the hardest thing to deal with is going to be proper use of Fate and Time magic. If you've got an Acanthus who is really on the ball it's going to be hard to set up anything without your mage group knowing about it before hand, and if they know it's coming, it's almost bound to fail.

Though this does specifically depend on how paranoid your players are and how often they read the future. If they only ever do so in response to known threats it won't be much of a problem, but if they scry the future at the start of everyday to see if anything bad is coming their way in the near future things get infinitely harder to deal with.
                          I think in this, there should be something like "Minority Raport" to be made - you stage attack in future, so that the character would think it was in the past. In this way, you need two attacks to be made. Still, does Precognition has set "viewing point", so the Hunters could guess how it works?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post

The solution is really to have Fate start screwing with the Mage because he/she keeps annoying it with fairly petty requests. An attack can be simply be someone slipping and falling on the Mage, giving one or two points of bashing damage and continuing to annoy it makes the noise to signal ratio go much, much higher, reducing the utility of it for a good while or doing something fairly basic for Fate for a change.

Comment

I'm curious, are Division Six and Malleus Maleficarum (and possibly Knights of St. George) the only groups you planned on using?

Comment

Working...
                              X