Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyboy254
    replied
    A bunch of asshole aristocrats who do as they please with the lives and bodies of others? That's not "very" British, that's quintessential British.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Flyboy254 View Post
    Well, you said this takes place in England right? Division Six is implied to be a primarily American organization. Now, Kings does have two English groups, but they are fan-made.

MI18, "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare": Kings wrote it to focus on Genius, but they are still willing to investigate problems that would directly threaten England ala Ian Flemming. Kings can go into more detail on them.
    Read about them - they do not strike my as very "witch hunting" focused. I think that using Malleus Maleficarum
    or the Knights of Saint Geroge would be more suitable here, as I use a Mage setting elements in big dose for this story. I probably use MM, and maybe add KDG later as plot twist on the light of "they are our prize, not yours!" kinda thing.

The Lord Stewards, "Keepers of the Queen's Peace": Written to deal with the fae, Kings wrote them as the biggest conspiracy in England. They're basically hidden in plain sight, and their purpose isn't so much, "Kill the witch" as it is, "Negotiate a stable and long-term treaty between the witches and their various enemies." Their conspiracy endowment enables them to literally make deals and treaties with objects and even the land itself, so if you try to to after a Steward, you're liable to piss of England itself.[/QUOTE]

Generally, I use Lord Stewards as THE British Conspiracy in my games. But for this "catch the witch and trial her" plot, I do not see them. They are too much "you must sign the paper that you will not cross this nighberhood". Still, using Lord Stewards as intermidates betwen mages and conspiracies later in play can come up.

Reading today the Witch Finders, I also concider of using Ashwood Abbey somewhere in the plot - they are very British, don't they?

Leave a comment:

• The Kings Raven
    replied
    Yep. And the Callaghan (Thatcher's predecessor) years.

That said, while I mentioned both The Union and The Long Night in Dream Catchers; that was a concession to keeping things simple. I personally believe that there are dozens, maybe Hundereds, of Compacts that all look roughly like The Union. The UK has it's share, but they're not in contact or aware of their American Counterparts.

The Long Night - I think that there is an intentional branch of Protistant Christianity that are not hunters but believe we are currently living in the tribulation. Of this group there are probably two or three Compacts that all look roughly like The Long Night; so same deal. They're in the UK, but the British and American's don't nessacarially know of each other (I know this condradicts cannon)

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy254
    replied
    If Britain has a strong culture of workers rights and labor politics, I can see that. I remember Kings wrote something in the Stewards' stereotypes about the Thatcher years being stressful because the Unions discovered the vigil.

Leave a comment:

• wander
    replied
    for another thing you don't really get whole neighbourhoods that have been bad for generations.
    I'd say that some bad council estates may count, being a Brit myself. So how Hunter groups as far as they're concerned may be something. I'd say some links to The Union would be fairly fitting.

Leave a comment:

• The Kings Raven
    replied
    Their conspiracy endowment enables them to literally make deals and treaties with objects and even the land itself, so if you try to to after a Steward, you're liable to piss of England itself.
    Not only that, but you're also liable to piss off the more senior mages.

The Stewards are the government, so they've got tons of stuff to bribe mages with.

You found a Hallow in that old castle. Can you promise to preserve it's historical accuracy and keep it safe for tourists? Excellent, you're now on the groundskeeping night shift. Unlimited access, enjoy. Not to mention that mages typically like stability since it means they can focus on their research.

So a witch starts performing human sacrifice and the Stewards can't get them to sign a contract saying they'll stop the Stewards will delegate the problem. Usually to MI18, but if they need to they could ask for a favour form the Adamantium Arrow.

Thematically the Stewards are very odd for Hunter. I can explain why if anyone's interested.

I'd imagine the Ascending Ones have a presence in the more urban areas of England though, primarily among immigrant communities. Kings, can you confirm?
    Absolutely. Going by wikipedia America has roughly 0.6% Muslim, the UK has 4.41% so the Knife of Paradise would probably have a very strong presence. The UK's history of looting the empire for historical stuff means that it's a good place to be part of the Southern Temple. However we don't have the Mexican Cartels next door so the Jagged Cresent would probably be much smaller in the UK.

England doesn't do inner city poverty quite like America. For one thing it never gets as bad, for another thing you don't really get whole neighbourhoods that have been bad for generations. There aren't really any no-go areas and without the danger middle class students tend to move in next to the poorer people; gentrification is a bit of a social issue here. (This is a London centric perspective btw).

So the idea of the Ascending Ones protecting neighbourhoods where the police and other hunters won't go doesn't really work. The closet thing we have to a true underclass is illegal immigrants; so I'd imagine that the UK Jagged Crescent have quite a hand in people smuggling and have stakes in lots of buisneses that profit from cheep labour. Not slavery though, I can't see the Ascending Ones tolerating that.

The Knife of Paradise would be protecting the illegal immigrant comunity, and I imagine they'd also have quite a presence among port security, turning a blind eye to the Crescent and helping the Crescent make sure monsters don't slip into the country. I don't imagine the Knife would have much of a presence in the large and established Muslim community, but they'd probably have a lot of allies there; that would give them ways to pressure the government (the Stewards won't mind if it's mundane pressure and doesn't break any specific deal they have with the AO) and a large recruitment pool. I could see the UK be a net exporter of Knife of Paradise Hunters - it's easier to travel the world on a British Passport / accent than a middle eastern one.
    Last edited by The Kings Raven; 05-05-2015, 03:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy254
    replied
    Well, you said this takes place in England right? Division Six is implied to be a primarily American organization. Now, Kings does have two English groups, but they are fan-made.

MI18, "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare": Kings wrote it to focus on Genius, but they are still willing to investigate problems that would directly threaten England ala Ian Flemming. Kings can go into more detail on them.

The Lord Stewards, "Keepers of the Queen's Peace": Written to deal with the fae, Kings wrote them as the biggest conspiracy in England. They're basically hidden in plain sight, and their purpose isn't so much, "Kill the witch" as it is, "Negotiate a stable and long-term treaty between the witches and their various enemies." Their conspiracy endowment enables them to literally make deals and treaties with objects and even the land itself, so if you try to to after a Steward, you're liable to piss of England itself.

I'd imagine the Ascending Ones have a presence in the more urban areas of England though, primarily among immigrant communities. Kings, can you confirm?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Those were my first ideas - if you have better candidates for using, shoot open - I may change my witch hunters still.

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy254
    replied
    I'm curious, are Division Six and Malleus Maleficarum (and possibly Knights of St. George) the only groups you planned on using?

Leave a comment:

• Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
    As per the usual, the hardest thing to deal with is going to be proper use of Fate and Time magic. If you've got an Acanthus who is really on the ball it's going to be hard to set up anything without your mage group knowing about it before hand, and if they know it's coming, it's almost bound to fail.

Though this does specifically depend on how paranoid your players are and how often they read the future. If they only ever do so in response to known threats it won't be much of a problem, but if they scry the future at the start of everyday to see if anything bad is coming their way in the near future things get infinitely harder to deal with.
    The solution is really to have Fate start screwing with the Mage because he/she keeps annoying it with fairly petty requests. An attack can be simply be someone slipping and falling on the Mage, giving one or two points of bashing damage and continuing to annoy it makes the noise to signal ratio go much, much higher, reducing the utility of it for a good while or doing something fairly basic for Fate for a change.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
    As per the usual, the hardest thing to deal with is going to be proper use of Fate and Time magic. If you've got an Acanthus who is really on the ball it's going to be hard to set up anything without your mage group knowing about it before hand, and if they know it's coming, it's almost bound to fail.

Though this does specifically depend on how paranoid your players are and how often they read the future. If they only ever do so in response to known threats it won't be much of a problem, but if they scry the future at the start of everyday to see if anything bad is coming their way in the near future things get infinitely harder to deal with.
    I think in this, there should be something like "Minority Raport" to be made - you stage attack in future, so that the character would think it was in the past. In this way, you need two attacks to be made. Still, does Precognition has set "viewing point", so the Hunters could guess how it works?

Leave a comment:

• Ashenrogue
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    For now, I think groups want to "question" or "examine" PCs - they are not sure what mages are ( in the Hieromagus plot only, hunters knows clearly that PCs are sorcerres ), "prophecies" are inconclusive and there is tiny, very small possibility they really are next Jesus.
    If they think there's any chance of that at all, however small, they'd be very wary about attacking the PC's through hostage loved ones.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    We talk here about truly Awakened PCs - with like 30 normal XP and 25 Arcane ones ( GMC rules using ). So it's cabal of advanced mages.
    I was meaning more what their arcana are like. Though I presume if there's six of them they probably cover all the arcana pretty well?

The Knights of St. George may not be a good idea if you're wanting to go with the mortal threat angle. Your characters aren't going to see the people as the threat but the horrible abyssal powers they use.

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy254
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Or maybe alliance of MM and KSG?
    Eh, that might not work too well. The Malleus are full-on Catholic Church. The Knights are more of a path of inspiration parading around like it's a fraternal charity. That's not to say there's a possibility of a temporary alliance, but there will be questions by the Malleus as to how, exactly, the Knights are able to make a witch basically turn on themselves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X