X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The E.V.E Institution

Mother's Children

(because Australia needs hunters!)

[a woman-shaped tree with the sentence "Endless Variations of Evolution" written near the roots]

What does it mean to be human? Is it something about soul? About intelligence? About being aware to your existence? All of those are nice and well- but their are not... scientific enough. In the end, being human is something biological- we eat other animals, enslave other species, destroy whole forms of life- and we allow us to do so just because they are "not one of us". This is not saying that it is a bad thing- it is only natural that we would separate ourselves from the rest of the world. However, science tends to ask the hard questions- like, what exactly separates humanity from the rest? What stops the homo sapiens, the naked monkey, from keep diverging into many other forms of life? After all, once there were a lot more types of "humans"- what stops us then one day waking up and discovering that a group that once was a part of us has changed beyond anything we imagined? The group who name itself as the E.V.E Institution doesn't have the answer- but it truly wants to test the question.

The E.V.E Research Institution (sorted from Endless Variations of Evolution) was established by a group of biologists, bio-chemists, bio-physicists (and many other "bio-" thingies) who searched after a way to create a supervised form of evolution. That was made for a number of reasons- a) because they wished to check all the possible outcomes of human evolution b) in order to make sure humanity would be able to adapt to future cataclysms and c) because they didn't wanted mankind to diverge too much so it would turn upon itself. In order to conduct their study, they have searched after a place which would also be isolated and would also present to them many cases to study about evolution in exotic animals (before they turn into humans). After a while, they have decided that they have found the perfect place- Australia.

Establishing their lab in Melbourne, the group has focused itself mostly on theoretical study of life- with a bit of animal experimentation here and there. The turning point came when they have noticed a subject they haven't met before- a man-beast creature, with sharp claws and which howls like a wolf. The experience was frighting, and many of the watchers have lost their senses, but their leader- a man called Lucas Jones- has managed to withstand the fear and came into a revelation: those beings, those shape shifting monsters, were exactly what their research has needed. If they could discover how they changed their shape, maybe they could recreate the process, allowing all of mankind the gift of rapid evolution.

For many years, their research was a dead end- they have documented many kinds of shifters, from wolves, to spiders, to rats and even bees- but they didn't managed to capture a good test subject. Yet, it was only a matter of time. Eventually, the group has managed to get its hands on a human-arachnid hybrid, and then they have started to dissect it. Sure, human experimentation is wrong- but asking "what is human" was exactly what brought this group into existence.

Slowly and surely, the group has managed to capture new test subjects. Using their few funding, they have even managed to buy some from organizations like the Bear Lodge and a drug company called Cheiron Group. Using their understanding in genetics, chemistry and physics, they have managed to distill a special serum- something which contained they very potential to change shape and gain new forms. The only thing they needed was human test subjects, but those were easy to find. Through their researches, many adventurers individuals who wished to test the limits of their body has joined the group. All they had to do was to inject them the serum.

And then everything went to hell.

The serum, which was distilled from a rat-person- was extremely unstable. they body has kept changing, growing weird features and monstrous forms. They had to find a way to stabilize those changes, and find the problem. A new look at the serum has discovered the fault- the genetic structure of the rat man was meant for a one sided transition. It was built around a parasitic form of life, a some kind of "shard" as they have called it, and without it the mutagenic effects have went out of control. Thankfully, it looked like there was hope- when they have looked again at their genetic data, they discovered that some shifters had a stabilizing effect on the serum bu creating genes which suppressed the beast form into a human one. After a few more hunts, they have managed to get one of the wolf shifters- who had the perfect influence according to their studies- and they by injecting the new serum the symptoms have vanished. That was truly a breakthrough.

And then Cheiron has tried to take over.

Through their work, E.V.E has gathered a big debt to the company- and now the company sent a lawsuit, froze their estates and demanded the serum. Lucas had no clue how to escape the company's iron grip- when he found a mysterious woman in his home. She said she heard about his situation, and that she has noticed his research- and that it would be a shame to let it go to waste in the hands of a diabolical corporation. She was a scientist- in spirit even if not in practice- and she wished his research to keep going. Evolution was a beautiful thing, she said, a gift from the Mother of all Life. She wasn't asking in return. She simply let him know that he could rest assure that Cheiron and their lawyers won't bother him- as long as the research would keep on going.

While Lucas didn't trusted the shady character, the next day he discovered that all of their debts has been paid and the Cheiron has withhold their lawsuit. While he wondered how it happened, he preferred to focus his attention on more important things- like how to help a man to grow for arms and two sets of wings.

There are two kinds of members in the E.V.E Institution. You are either a test subject, or a scientist- and each group has its own benefits.
    Test Subject:
    0- you have been accepted into E.V.E as one of their test subjects and joined humanity's way to greater evolution! You can spend merit points on Mutations Endowments
    000- you have survived many hardships of life and turned into a magnificent specimen. E.V.E wishes you to invest all of your time in testing your abilities and less on living a human lives. In order to do so, get 3 dots in Resources for free
    00000- you are the the very pinnacle of transcending beyond homo sapiens and become a part of the endless forms most beautiful created by the Mother of all Life. You get your own room the the Institution, which is considered to be a Safe House. You have 5 dots to distribute in that merit for free.
    Scientist:
    0- you have joined E.V.E's researchers in order to find a way to discover the next form humanity would take, and now understand their secret formula. You can spend merit points on the Mutations Endowment
    000- you have found new breakthroughs in your research, and discovered new mutations which may benefit humanity one day. You get the Scientist's Sense for free.
    00000- you are a respected member of the Institution, and you are often sent to find new test subjects and researchers who share E.V.E's vision, and between jobs you are even invited to participate in seminars and present E.V.E's public face. You get Contacts for 5 dots.

Endowments- Mutations
    Mutations are the transformation of the body because of the mutagenic "Host Serum", which are latter stabilized by the "Moon Serum". Each such Mutation is, practically, a Dread Power/ Host Aspect/ Changing Breeds Favors/ Shapeshifter Aspect/ depends on the system you use to represent shapeshifters, which can be bought with Merit points. While there is no limitation on the number of Mutations one can have, having too many may harm both the mind and body of the user. First, you subtract the number of you active Mutations from the dicepool for Breaking Points, with each failure also being followed by a sudden urge to destroy/kill something, and isn't stopped until you are either unconscious or have did the act (which isn't considered to be a breaking point even if you kill someone who is dear to you). Second, each active Mutation gives you -1 modifier to all social rolls except of Intimidation as presented from the physical changes to experience. In order to de-active a mutation, you must use the Moon Serum. You have access to one dose of Moon Serum per Status dot in the Conspiracy, and it last to a number of days equal to your Status dots (the more important you are, the better is the Serum you get). During this time, you can't use any of your Mutations unless you negate the Moon Serum with an Host Serum. You can have an unlimited accesses to Host Serum, and it negates the effect of the Moon Serum automatically (wasting the monthly dose). For that reason, the members are extremely careful when using that Serum.
    Last edited by LostLight; 06-28-2015, 02:32 PM.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Well nothing wrong with the concept, but I'd cut out the use of the evolutionary levels trope here, since that isn't actually a thing- evolution is about surviving in one's environment, nothing more, and if you aren't extinct, congratulations, you've evolved to your environment.

A group made up of a bunch of scientists would definitely know this, instead of getting their ideas about evolution from B-movies.

So a group worried about the evolution of humanity is actually worried about environmental changes and how humanity changes or dies in response.

You do know that you can cut out the connection to werewolves and hosts completely, right?

Skinchangers- Zoonotic viruses, diseases that can cross from animals to humans, but like animals better, so they mutate their hosts to be like their preferred hosts.

Just do some genetic restructuring of such a virus, and voila.
    Last edited by StSword; 05-19-2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post
      Well nothing wrong with the concept, but I'd cut out the use of the evolutionary levels trope here, since that isn't actually a thing- evolution is about surviving in one's environment, nothing more, and if you aren't extinct, congratulations, you've evolved to your environment.
      It's not a thing... in the real world. We're talking about a world where B-movie monsters are kicking around.

Why wouldn't B-movie science be accurate as well?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

what amechra said. I know enough about evolution in the real world, and the group was not meant to be that realistic. Hell, I'm pretty sure that if werewolves were to hear about their experiments they would be like "WTF? that's not how things work!". But I've thought that a group of crazy scientists who have decided to mutate mankind into a new form could be fun, and I've tied them into werewolves mostly because I've wanted a group of shapeshifter hunters just to shake things up a little. They aren't supposed to work scientifically. They aren't supposed to work spiritually. But they do. Isn't that fun?

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          what amechra said. I know enough about evolution in the real world, and the group was not meant to be that realistic. Hell, I'm pretty sure that if werewolves were to hear about their experiments they would be like "WTF? that's not how things work!". But I've thought that a group of crazy scientists who have decided to mutate mankind into a new form could be fun, and I've tied them into werewolves mostly because I've wanted a group of shapeshifter hunters just to shake things up a little. They aren't supposed to work scientifically. They aren't supposed to work spiritually. But they do. Isn't that fun?

The two issues don't have anything to do with each others.

In nwod, science is valid, but incomplete. Scientists making a great discovery, with or without supernatural ties, completely at home- bestowing psychic powers, human animal chimera, zombie plagues, homemade undead cyborgs, all cool.

If you're intent was that they are hacks who got lucky, well, I'd suggest being less subtle in the write up, that's not what I got from it.

And making them right, well, in a setting that's appropriate, sure, nwod isn't one of them.

Originally posted by amechra View Post

It's not a thing... in the real world. We're talking about a world where B-movie monsters are kicking around.

Why wouldn't B-movie science be accurate as well?
          Because in nwod, science isn't a joke, and ignorance, stupidity, and delusions aren't rewarded with being right no matter how many people share the affliction?
          Last edited by StSword; 05-21-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

So basically, even if Dr. Forrester was in WoD, his terrible inventions would still fail?

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post
              Because in nwod, science isn't a joke, and ignorance, stupidity, and delusions aren't rewarded with being right no matter how many people share the affliction?
              Let me rephrase...

This is supernatural powers with the trappings of B-Movie Science. The trappings are perfectly cromulent, even if they aren't scientifically valid.

And what game have you been playing? "Ignorance, stupidity, and delusions" is kinda how Hunters roll, for Chrissake! For all we know your justification could be the real one, with the explanation given by LostLight could be the reasoning of this group of crazies (Believe me, just because someone's gone through university to study this stuff doesn't mean that they aren't crackpots.)

I mean, if you're complaining about these guys, let me direct your attention to Cheiron (transplants don't work that way). But the image of someone grafting monster parts on to get superpowers is cool, so it gets a pass. As is the image of someone swigging some magic potion vial of genetic serum to mutate into a monster, so it really should be allowed to slide.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Survival of the Fittest

Many hunters walk of the edge of humanity. Some do so metaphorically- the Hammer hunts the monsters with zeal which makes them like the angels of God. The Ascending Ones sell drugs and ruin the life of many just to finance themselves. The Faithful of Shulpae's holy act borders with cannibalism. Others do it much more literally- the members of the Cheiron Group transplant monster parts into their own flesh. The Promethean Brotherhood ritually murder witches in order to become witches by themselves. The Lucfiuge are, without doubt, demons in human skin. Still, the test subjects of the E.V.E Institution seem to stretch that border even more, and that for one simply reason- they don't want to be human.

Forcing mutations upon their body is not the only way they do so. Inside the group there is a small, yet rapidly growing, sect who have a very different goal from the rest of the Institution. After all, E.V.E was founded on the idea that by forcing specific mutations upon the subjects they could find the best ones, which would later be used to evolve the rest the mankind. The goal was unity, with diversity being only the means. Yet, that sect believes that they are not only different from the rest of humanity- but better. Their mutations make them into more then humans- stronger, faster, smarter. They don't wish to share those gifts with the rest the mankind. No- species fight with each other for survival, for resources, for the right to mate and rule others. They don't help other specifies. They devour them. The group was founded on the idea that one day, they would rule the Earth as the new Alpha race.

Some, however, don't wait to the future.

They do it now.

The group is led by a man called William Brown. One of the first test subjects of the group, he always saw himself as someone who was destined to grow beyond the limits of his human body. He rarely use the Moon Serum in order to hide his true form and balance his mind. He is proud of himself, seeing each of the aspects of his new body as a piece of art. He is quite charismatic, and many are drawn to him and listen to his opinions. He says that they shouldn't deny their instincts- that the reason they have an urge to murder other people while in great distress is not some sort of a side effect of the Serum, but their true self who recognize humanity as a threat and when it escapes the control of their former "human" self, deals with that threat. Killing humans is a natural part of their self. Actually, William doesn't stop at killing humans- he eats them, claiming that doing so is no different then a lion which eats a gazelle. While other members of the group are still unwilling to participate in the horrible act, the more devoted members of the sect walk in his footsteps. This is war- one day, mankind would discover their existence and would try to extinct them. Why should they wait and not strike first?

Of course, one would ask why does the group keeps working with the scientists of E.V.E, who are mostly untouched by the Serum? The reason is simple- while William is an intelligent man, he can't process all the necessary process needed to create new doses of the Serum. Killing the human members of the Institution would end the project, and would stop him from being able to force new mutations upon himself and others. However, he does have a plan in mind- he seeks to kidnap one of the high ranking scientists, maybe even Lucas himself, and turn him into one of them. He believes that after the change he would forsake his former loyalties and become like him, and together they could get rid of anyone who isn't willing to transform in order to survive. After that, he also plans on converting other people in key places in society, starting a big project which would end with killing hundreds of thousands of people world wide or forcing them into their new bodies. He isn't too specific about the details of his plan- which makes some think those are just crazy talking. Yet, few has noticed him meeting up with a strange woman deep in the wilderness...

Does Lucas aware of that movement? Most believe he doesn't actually, since the Cheiron problem has been solves, the members of E.V.E has seen him less and less. He seems to work constantly, finding new test subject and research new Mutations which those subject develop. He seems detached, like that there is some force which drives him seek for.. something. A breakthrough maybe? A new discovery? A formula which would unite both the Host and Moon Serums into one? No one is sure- but those who sneak into his office find all kinds of weird plants in his laboratory, together with a bunch of letter destined to someone called "Eva".

So, what does it means about the mysterious supporter of E.V.E? Does she really support both faction? What is her agenda? Why should she help both the murderous slashers of William and the dedicated scientists of Lucas? After all, a war seems to be in the horizon of the project because of her manipulations. How would it benefit her?

Maybe the war is the very goal. Nothing brings evolution faster then conflict, and when the dust would settle, only the best and finest would stay standing. That's how the world works. It's the Survival of the Fittest.

stereotypes:
                Cheiron Group- "They try to take by force something which took us years to create. They can send their lawyers against us, if they want- but there is only one rule I live upon, and the only judge I listen to is Mother Nature"
                Hunt Club- "Hey, I'm not like those guys! There is no imagination between us and them. We don't hunt upon our own kin"
                Null Mysteriis- "During the early foundation of the Institution, out group has came with contact with those guys. They said that according to their researches, our idea was impossible, scientifically speaking. I want to see them saying it now to my new face"
                Les Mystere- "some among the aboriginals in here are not too happy with our presence. They say that we pollute the world around us and disturb the Dream to bring fourth nightmares. I've noticed a few of them snooping around a week ago. I managed to get rid of a few before.. something showed up. It was scary as shit, and I've barely escaped. I wonder how can I turn into that?"

"I see the future every time look in the mirror, my friend- and it is beautiful"

I now blog in here

Comment

added a Scientist Status in addition to the Test Subject Status

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                  X