X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden of the Hesperides [Dream Catchers]

Collectors of Herbs

[silver grapes in front of open vine leaf]

Far away at the west of the world, beneath the great mountains which hold the heavens and on the edge of the horizon where the sea meets the stars, there is a special place- a garden. There is no such place in the world, for it is a realm where dreams come true and where nightmares turn into flesh. There, impossible plants grow and take form- trees who bear golden apples, red flowers who force sleep on those who stop to smell them, berries which can bring ultimate peace to this who eat them, in exchange for their minds and memories. This is a place of sin, of lust, of passion- a place named with many different names. Eden. The Cedar Forest.

The Garden of the Hesperides.

That place may be wonderful, yet it is full of dangers- enchanted beings walks there, offer drinks and foods to guests, yet by accepting them they may never come back. Giant roam the land, terrorizing anyone who dares to taste the fruits of the garden. A serpent whispers and tempts visitors into terrible sins who bring doom upon their head. A Lion devours anyone who goes off the path, putting their remains to display upon the thorny walls of the garden. Only the wise know the hidden paths of that place, and only the wisest would survive the trip into those lands.

And only the Collectors of Herbs may do so again and again.

Originating from Greece, the Gardeners of the Hedge (as they sometimes called) have research that place for hundreds of years. They claim an ancient lineage of healers, herbalists and witches. Some of them say they come from the proud amazons, who used the magics of that place to become more than human and kidnapped men to create more of their kind. Others prefer to say they come from the great Hippocrates who studied the effect of plants and how to use them to heal the sick. Many don't really mind about the truth- only the present is important, and how they could use the plants of the garden for their own use.

While much of their understanding of the Garden comes from Greek mythology, the twisting ways of the land don't tie it to one place- instead, it circles the whole world, touching every corner of the world with its sharp thorns and open weird gates in unexpected places. Similar to the source of their name, the group has also spread through the world- for there are healers everywhere, and those who need their help could be found all over the world. At first, the goal of the group was helping mortal men and women who were infected by weird plagues and sicknesses. Yet, as they wondered through the Garden, they discovered other people who needed their help- those who were lost in the Garden and where captured by its guardians, those who had their mind broken by the twisted spells of the land and didn't followed the ancient pacts between mankind and the nymphs. Those who, against all chances, put their faith in the Moirai and managed to free themselves from the mad land.

Those people need the treatments of the Garden more than any other- after years of torment in the dream lands, they are unstable and broken. They need guidance, protection and the special remedies the members of the group make. Sure, some of them don't trust the hunters of the Garden, claiming their medicines to be dangerous drugs which break the minds of those who drink it, but what do they know? After years in captivity, they can only see the downsides of the Garden without all of the benefits which could be harvested from it. Yet, the hunters can't blame them- after all, anyone who would be captured by the nymphs would lose her mind and turn hateful toward the land. Thankfully, long time ago, the members of the Garden came to an.. agreement with the denizens of the place- as long as they follow the paths given to them, the huntsmen are forbidden from treating them as prey. Thanks for that ancient pact, the Gardeners has gain an almost perfect monopoly over the exotic plants who grow in the mystical place. They saved hundreds of souls- both mortal and fae, as they helped those who were lost in the thorns to escape their former masters. They survived countless hardships as they ran into the Garden, escaping the notice of power hungry organizations like the Cheiron Group, or those who deemed them as witches like the Malleus Maleficarum. Sure, during their activity, they have gained their share of enemies- yet no matter how harsh is the situation and how deep the wounds are, they can always find a remedy to fix the situation.

They just need to make sure they won't get off the path.

0- you have joined the healers of the old world and took an oath to heal the sick and protect the wounded. You may buy dots in the Herbalism Endowment. Plus, you gain a Diplomatic Immunity while in the Garden, which means none of the denizens of the place may attack you unless provoked as long as you follow a special network of paths called the Silver Way.
    000- You have learned the complicated paths and have been exposed to the magical powers of the Garden. You become Eternal Ensorcelled, and you may spend 30 minutes outside the Silver Way before you could be attacked by the nymphs.
    00000- You have saved countless lives through your remedies and voyage through the Garden. You gain Contacts 5 [Changeling] and you may spend an hour outside the Sliver Way before the protection of your immunity is expired.

Endowment- Herbalism (0-00000)
    The Gardeners of the Hedge relay on their ability to enter the Garden, collect raw materials for their remedies and get out. In order to do so, they must first open a gate to the Silver Way, which closes immediately after the hunter (plus one person per dot int he Endowment) moves through it. Moving back and fourth counts as 2 people who pass through the gate. In order to do so, she must roll Status [Garden]+ Herbalism. Success means the gate is opened to the Silver Way, while Exceptional Success means the gate would be opened for twice as much people. Dramatic Failure means the hunter has opened a gate to the Garden- but to an unprotected way, where she does not enjoy her Diplomatic Immunity.

Other than entering the Garden, the Endowment has 2 other abilities- first, it is used a a special Resources merit in order to make remedies. The dots in the merit represent the knowledge of the character in the weird plants of the Garden, and how well she may treat diseases by using them. In order to use that merit, the character must spend two hours per dot in the Endowment in the Garden while searching for the plants, meaning that the effective dots the character has in the Endowment for that use is limited by the number of hours she spent. A way to shorten this time (with a risk) is wandering outside the Silver Way- one hour outside it equal to 2 hours on the Way.After collecting the plants, the may treat a disease by rolling Medicine+Herbalism. The ST should rise the difficulty of the roll according to the sickness in question (especially in case of supernatural diseases). However, those who use that treatment suffer for -1 modifier to any Integrity roll (or equivalent) per dot of effective Herbalism used to heal them. Dramatic Failure in the roll would make the patient suffer from an immediate Integrity degeneration.

Third, the Garden has all kinds of weird and special plants- and some of those fruits grant weird abilities. The hunter may search for a specific fruit which grant a certain Dread Power. In order to do so, she must search for one hour per dot of Dread Power in question (or half an hour outside the Silver Way), and she may not search for a power which its rating is higher than her dots in Herbalism. Once she eats the fruit, she is able to use the Dread Power for one hour per dot of Herbalism, yet once she does she must roll Integrity Breaking Point with -1 modifier per dot of the Dread Power in question. That Breaking Point may not be removed by using the Code.
    Last edited by LostLight; 10-07-2015, 03:41 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Stereotypes:
    Cheiron Group- "they claim themselves to be the greatest healers, yet they use their skills for profit instead of the betterment of mankind. We found them once moving through the Garden, harvesting both plants and guardians. Last time I've seen them, a giant chased them down. This is why you never get off the path"
    Bear Lodge- "one of them asked me to open him a gate for him to the Garden. He didn't searched for one of its fruits or flowers- instead, he wished to hunt down a great beast who lives in the land. I tried to warn him, but he didn't listened and paid well. Never heard from him again"
    Ashwood Abbey- "sure, some of our remedies make you a bit.. unstable, but those guys seem to like it. I send monthly supplies to one of their cells for their strange orgies. If they end up killing each other, don't blame me- I just give them what they ask for"
    Office of the Lord Steward- "Our group has a solid pact with the nymphs about the use of the Silver Way- we are the only ones who are supposed to enjoy its benefit. Yet, one day, I've found some of those guys walking down the path! They asked me all kinds of questions and took all kinds of notes. Eventually, they said they need to "get to an arrangement" with my higher ups. I wonder what they sacrificed to use out path"

Drink this- it would make you feel better. Oh, don't worry about the chains. Its just in case"

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Reading this, I find myself thinking of the Regency of Thorns and Staff of Janus due to a few similarities between them and the Gardeners.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

well, they all share a common interest- the Hedge. The Regency use what it as a source for power against the invading arcadian gods, The Staff see it as a gate to new knowledge and resources. For the Garden, it is a dangerous place which could provide remedies to all of the world's illnesses- if you are willing to pay the price. They are healers of both mind and body- although ironically, their own medicines may cause that same amount of damage.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Kinda harsh forcing rolls for breaking points with penalizers every damn time your character need a Dread power, specially considering the effort and risk of locating the damn goblin fruit with it.

Comment

Actually, you risk while searching for the fruit only while you are not walking in the Silver Way. Otherwise, you are protected as per the ancient agreement. If you do think it is too harsh, you may rule that you roll for a Breaking Point only once after eating the fruit, and not every time you use the Power.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I'll consider changing the roll for suffering a condition or minor ban as long as the character has access to the power. Still fits the "power at a price "

Comment

Working...
              X