Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cult of Moloch [Convention]

The Forbidden Rite

[a golden bull's head, its horns dripping with blood and its eyes burn with fire]

What is life without a sacrifice?

We all sacrifice something to make our dreams come true- we struggle, we fight, we blame, we kill. We say that the end justify the means. We say that there was no other way. We lie to our self, creating a mask we wear so we could look at our own face in the mirror. We are all sinners, we are all criminals and heretics. We all carry our own darkness, a spark of madness in our souls which could blossom into a beautiful flower. And still, we deny it. We cling to moralities, laws and frames which are all used to bind us against our wishes. We stop our own dreams from coming true.

Wouldn't it be easier to just let go?

Wouldn't it be better to leave it all behind, accepting your own little demon who whisper in your hear?

Wouldn't it be better to make the proper sacrifice, the one which would fulfill your wish?

It's is not that hard- but once you do, there is no going back. What was given may never be returned, The sacrifice was given willingly, and the drums fill your hears. A single scream- and your done. You have joined the Moloch.

The story of the Cult of Moloch is a story of blood and fire. Maybe it was always around, lurking in the shadows of history and feeding from the gifts of mankind- but if it was so, it left no record behind it. The earliest reference for the accursed Rite could be found in the bible, as one of the greatest crimes one can commit- do not make your children pass through the fire. The concept of the ritual- of burning your own children alive and using drums to hide their screams- was so terrible, that many people have suggested that maybe that was not the case, the maybe, just maybe there is another interpretation to the verse.

More lies that people tell themselves to sleep well at night. The Rite was preformed in the ancient days. The Rite is preformed even now.

If someone where to track the ritual down, he would have to search all back to the biblical Canaan. During that time, the Cult of Moloch didn't just existed- it thrived, as kings and rulers freely gave their children to the great fires in exchange for glory and success. However, even during those times people fought against the Cult- the prophets of Israel decreed the worship of Moloch as a sin, making a special prohibition against preforming the ritual. Priests of an ancient organization known as the Maagal saw the rite as heresy, and fought against the Cult's influence by the names of Baal and Anat. Yet, no matter how hard their enemies tried to eradicate them, they didn't fell. Instead, they prospered, growing like cancer in the heart of their destroyers. Each month, they danced in the valley of Hinom, hitting the drums and feeding the flames under the light of the moon, sure that no one would ever be able to stop them.

Macedon did.

In his quest for conquest, Alexander took over the Phoenician lands and crushed any resistance against his army. While he didn't targeted the Cult especially, his deeds broke it apart, scattering its members in the wind- only to gather again in the city state of Carthage. There, unbound by the judgment of Hebrew priests and rivaled only by the weakened form of the Maagal, they walked hidden through the night, starting again the great Inferno known as Moloch and fed it with souls. And as Carthage grew, so did they- luring many to their dark rituals who were willing to give away everything for their own personal gain. Yet, two suns can't shine in the same sky- and beyond the sea, another nation rose to greatness. Rome has started to hunger for power- and looked on Carthage as its next meal.

The two nations fought for years, as the Romans used, among other things, the dark reputation of the Cult in order to motivate their soldiers against the rival power. Carthage had to be destroyed, and its streets had to be filled with blood and fire. While it was not an easy fight, eventually, during the Punic Wars, Rome won. Carthage fell, its land was covered with salt, and with it the Cult of Moloch fell for good.

Or did it?

Sure, Carthage was the last time the Cult existed as a single, powerful organization- but it was only a symptom. The source was not found in some ancient rite or organized priesthood- it is found in human hearts, and as long as there are people who are willing to pay the price, the Rite showed up once more. Unorganized, many different cults has started all alone, their knowledge of the Rite burns like fire in their minds. After all, unlike other arcane secrets, the Rite of Moloch is a simple one. Anyone can preform it. It is like an infection, like a plague. It corrupts from the inside, and no one can notice it before it is too late.

For many, many years, the Cult has existed in that scattered form, moving through the world with the people who tried to destroy it. It prospered through the times of war and inquisitions, of plagues and murders, using the mundane violence in order to hide their terrible acts. It could have stayed like this forever- until one day, humanity did the impossible. They united the world, creating a great web which connected everywhere and nowhere. The internet have made everyone's souls into one- both the good and the bad. And with that, he allowed great and terrible things to take forms. The Rite of Moloch went online.

Now days, everyone can become a member of the Cult. It has no hierarchy, no established order. Some of the members acts alone. Others start their own small cults- with the greatest ones being near Jerusalem, in the old Valley of Hinom, and in Tunis, where Carthage once stood. In the darknet, all new communities has established themselves in order to share the Rite and its results- pictures, videos, sound tracks of the screams of their victims. They shared their philosophical stances about the Rite. They talked about their greatest desires. They turned into a community- one which could never fall back into the darkness once more.

Bring on Alexander. Bring on Rome. They would be helpless against the Cult as it is today. No one can stop it. Everyone can be a part of it. All that it takes is to find someone you love, kill her and make a wish.That's all.

This is a story of blood and fire.

And this story is never, ever going to end.

The Cult of Moloch as it is is not a true organization. Instead, it is a loose confederation of many, smaller cults. The only way they may communicate with each other is through their forums in the darknet, and even than they maintain their anonymity. After all, it is a lot harder to destroy something without a name or face. However, it seems that the power behind the Rite does favor certain people more than others- and the greater their influence is, the more powerful they become.
    0- you have discovered the Rite and did what you had to do in order to make your wish to come true. You may buy points in the Rite of Moloch
    000- at this point, each small cult develop their own gift to their followers. The ST may gift you with a single non supernatural merit of 3 Dots appropriate to your Cult.
    00000- at this point, you are either a cult leader or a lone practicer who has turned into a legend in the forums. The power of Moloch rush through you. You may get a 5 dot Supernatural Merit.

Endowment: Rite of Moloch (0-00000)
    Most Endowments are complicated powers, which require certain aptitude to be used. You need to have the body parts of monsters transplanted into you. You have to carry to blood of Satan in your veins. You must be a part of a secret governmental conspiracy. The Rite of Moloch is different- all you have to do you find a person, kill her and make a wish. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although, doing things a bit "more" may help.

In theory, any person of the face of Earth who is not a part of a Major Template may preform the Rite by simply rolling Occult. Those who buy dots in the Endowment, however, have a greater understanding of how the Rite works, which means they may add their dots in the Endowment to their dicepool. The roll must be preformed during the act of the killing itself, and if you succeed you get your wish- which is usually symbolized as a Merit of a Dread Power which you may use for one day per dot in Occult. However, the way you kill the victim is important, and it may decide if the Rite would work or not. Killing just any random person would make you suffer from a -2 modifier to rolls. Killing someone you hate would turn it into -3. Killing a friend is a +0 modifier. Killing a second degree relative is +1. First degree relative or your special one is +2. If the victim is a child, you get +3. If you make sure to use loud sounds, you get +1. If their death involves fire, it is +2. If you don't kill them in close range, it is -3. In sort, the ultimate sacrifice is killing your own beloved child in fire while you look him in the eyes and burn him alive and use drums so no one would hear him scream. Yep, a twisted rite made by twisted people.

Endowment: Infernal Investments
    While the Cult is no longer a "real organization", the dark powers behind it still gift those who belong to it with their dark gifts. Any member of the Cult may buy dots in Dread Powers which are equal to their Status [Cult of Moloch] dots. A member may change powers by inflicting himself one level of Lethal Damage per dot in the Dread Power you wish to obtain. A fall with Status makes you lose access to any Dread Power which you may not maintain in the new Status, plus you suffer one level of Bashing Damage per such dot. You can't deal with the dark powers without making the right sacrifice, after all.
    Last edited by LostLight; 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Satanic Panic!
    There are many demonic cults in the World of Darkness- both among cultists, slashers and even hunters. The Lucifuge use their inborn powers against the demons which spawned them. The LEnfant Diabolique create dark cults and celebrate their dark heritage. The Otodo from Japan carry the blood on the Oni in their veins. The Theater of Tragedies make deals with Greater Demons. The Heirs of the Crown bind the names of archdemons to their own flesh. The Order of the Nameless deals with demons from the Beyond, the Cage of Shadows worship owl shaped she-devil and even the atheistic Devil's Advocates use gifts from infernal source. What makes the Cult of Moloch into different than the rest of those dark groups?

The fact that they are not devil worshipers.

Sure, some of them are- they use satanic imagery during their terrible rituals, they draw upside down crosses and bloody pentagrams, they bath with blood and sing songs about the devil's glory. The two great cults of Hinom and Carthage even worship Moloch itself. However, just as many cultists have no connection with such imagery- they are regular men and women, who live their daily life without even knowing about the Rite's origin. They may be friendly- maybe they are even your childhood friends, your siblings, your parents, your children. After all- that is how the Rite works. Anyone can use it, and the closer they are the better.

In the end, the difference is that unlike the other demons who roam the world, Moloch is a generous master. It doesn't matter what Moloch exactly is- a fallen spirit of the sun, a great Infrastructure used by the God Machine, a Duatic demon in service of the Devourer or even one of the 1000 Leaves. In fact, it doesn't even matter if Moloch exist it all. It is a concept, an idea, a philosophy. A principle of sacrifice, blood and fire. A principle of love and betrayal. It is everywhere, it is nowhere. It isn't relevant at all- all that matters is the Rite. Find a person. Love him. Kill him. That is Moloch by its very essence.

It is inside of you. You just don't know it yet.

Stereotypes:
    Hunt Club: "Rich guys who think they are better than us. Those idiots just waste their time and money on sport. Killing needs to mean something, anything. What they do- that's just a waste"
    Lucifuge:"That's not my first cult, just for you to know. I was the only one to survive the former one. One second, we all gathered together as we were ready to preform our Rite. On the other, that crazy kid started to throw fire balls on us! Worse, there were more of his kind, swarming through the doors and calling us as "heretic demon worshipers". Some people say they are the children of the devil who fight against their dark heritage. You know what I think? That they just don't like competition"
    Loyalists of Thule: "there was that one guy who was really into it in the forums, saying how much he wanted to actually preform the Rite in Real Life. So I made contact with him, and we made the preparations. He was really excited, that guy, and he did the ritual by the book. Afterward, however, that sissy started to cry "what have I don! what have I done!". I told him to call me when he would man up. After a month I tried to make a contact- yet he vanished as if he never existed. The only response I got was a text from an unidentified number, saying he "went to Thule to find redemption". As if there is such a thing to one of us"
    Knights of St Adrian: "There is a rumor that one cult has grown a bit too big, and may have found the wrong friends and killed the wrong people. Apparently, someone has put a contract on their head, and someone took the call. One day, there was a raid on their base- a group of bikers and truckers who killed each and every one of them and burned the all place down. But it is just a rumor... right?"
    Pythian Oracles: "has anyone saw Jim lately?..."

"Above black birds ascending,
    My baby’s flesh a-rending,
    And all the world attending.
    Sleep, little baby, sleep."

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I expected Moloch. But this is fine too.

"What sphinx of cement and aluminum bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Moloch! Solitude! Filth! Ugliness! Ashcans and unobtainable dollars! Children screaming under the stairways! Boys sobbing in armies! Old men weeping in the parks!
      Moloch! Moloch! Nightmare of Moloch! Moloch the loveless! Mental Moloch! Moloch the heavy judger of men!
      Moloch the incomprehensible prison! Moloch the crossbone soulless jailhouse and Congress of sorrows! Moloch whose buildings are judgment! Moloch the vast stone of war! Moloch the stunned governments!
      Moloch whose mind is pure machinery! Moloch whose blood is running money! Moloch whose fingers are ten armies! Moloch whose breast is a cannibal dynamo! Moloch whose ear is a smoking tomb!
      Moloch whose eyes are a thousand blind windows! Moloch whose skyscrapers stand in the long streets like endless Jehovahs! Moloch whose factories dream and croak in the fog! Moloch whose smoke-stacks and antennae crown the cities!
      Moloch whose love is endless oil and stone! Moloch whose soul is electricity and banks! Moloch whose poverty is the specter of genius! Moloch whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen! Moloch whose name is the Mind!
      Moloch in whom I sit lonely! Moloch in whom I dream Angels! Crazy in Moloch! Cocksucker in Moloch! Lacklove and manless in Moloch!
      Moloch who entered my soul early! Moloch in whom I am a consciousness without a body! Moloch who frightened me out of my natural ecstasy! Moloch whom I abandon! Wake up in Moloch! Light streaming out of the sky!
      Moloch! Moloch! Robot apartments! invisible suburbs! skeleton treasuries! blind capitals! demonic industries! spectral nations! invincible madhouses! granite cocks! monstrous bombs!
      They broke their backs lifting Moloch to Heaven! Pavements, trees, radios, tons! lifting the city to Heaven which exists and is everywhere about us!"

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

never heard about the poem- yet, strangely, it works.I really gives the feeling of Moloch as a concept, which was how I viewed the Cult.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

The whole thing is Allan Ginsberg's Howl - that's just the most pertinent bits.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
          X