No announcement yet.

Strains of the Cursed Blood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd see all of those demon-blooded (Lucifuge,Otodo, Enfants Diaboliques) as being the same kind of creatures, whose nature is expressed differently due to the influence of different educations, training or environnements.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
    Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

I am rather curious to see if a cursed bloodline might be thought up that's based on one definition of the Filipino aswang, and perhaps even drawing inspiration from similar myths in other Southeast Asian countries. Granted, the concepts were tacklee by Antagonists and one of the Vampire Night Horror books, but still...

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
        I am rather curious to see if a cursed bloodline might be thought up that's based on one definition of the Filipino aswang, and perhaps even drawing inspiration from similar myths in other Southeast Asian countries. Granted, the concepts were tacklee by Antagonists and one of the Vampire Night Horror books, but still...
        well, like you've said the aswang were presented as a type of vampires in multiple sources, and at any case I'm not sure how "demonic" are they (I mean, yeah, they are blood drinking monsters who change shape, but that is a lot more of a witch/vampire/shapeshifter kind of thing, not an evil spirit or something similar). Again, you are much more versed in Filipino culture than I am, so.. what kind of demons are told about in Filipino folklore?

Also, my current plan is making one "cursed strain" per gameline, and I currently have plans for all remaining ones beside the Geist based one. Still, if you have some great idea feel free to suggest or even write it on your own!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

There are quite a few monsters I can think up, but they're pretty much not demons in the traditional sense. They're more vampiric or fae-like in nature.

Tiyanaks are probably the most promising concept, but they come off as more malevolent ghost than demon, since they are the spirits of unbaptized babies who return to eat people. However, they are also described as the offspring of humans and demons.

There're also the Tikbalang, who travel at night to rape human women, thus siring more of their kind. Other sources also make them have similar origins as the tiyanak in that they are the transformed spirits of aborted fetuses.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

so, with the Storm Guard being posted, this project pretty much getting close to its end, leaving only two more potential bloodlines on my list- one being tied to Promethean, while the other to Geist. However, it seems I've kinda got to a creative block for those two. I have few, raw concepts, but I'm still not sure about which road to take. For the Promethean, I've thought about two potential ideals- one was using StSword's suggestion for giant blooded from Scandinavia, and the other was going with witches from Bali who rebel against Rangda. My main problem with those ideals is that both Europe and Asia have their fair share of bloodlines in this project, making them feel a bit crowded. For the giant blooded, there is also a great chance I would be tempted to use them to better integrate my "Awful Ice" project into them, and there is a limit to the amount of shameless promotions I allow to myself (I prefer my homebrew projects to be mostly independent from each other, with the potential ties being easy to remove). The Rangda witches sound like interesting thing to explore as "Flux blooded", but Rangda seems to be an incarnation of Kali, which I've already used for another Torch Bearing group. And again, Asia and Europe has got too crowded for my taste.

As for the Geist bloodlines, I have a couple of options. Deionscribe's suggestion for the Tiyanaks sounds close enough to their alley, but again- Asia is too crowded and I prefer other, less explored regions. South America present two options- either the Supay from Peru or Mapuche kalklus. Among those two, I prefer the later- for I can find more information about them and the Wekufe, and they sound more interesting to explore. On the other hand, one of the places which have the least amount of groups is Oceania, and I can't finish this project without giving them at least one Strain of Cursed Blood. Checking some Maori mythology, it looks like Whiro may be a great progenitor of such bloodline- a chtonian lizard god who devours the dead in order to break free from its prison, and a lineage who hunts for ghosts in order to stop its awakening? It's just too awesome to not use!

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions about those or other potential ideals for those two bloodlines. Of course, me finishing the project doesn;'t mean you can't write your own Strains of Cursed Blood- germanic water spirits could be a great progenitor for the Leviathan based bloodline, and I still tinker with an idea of a Strix descendant bloodline from Sub Sahara Africa.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

You've also added the Awful Ice and Principle to the Usij to good effect (though they don't mention Prometheans much).

The Maori idea looks grand.

Do you have one for Deviant, yet? I don't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post

Do you have one for Deviant, yet? I don't recall.
                The Benei Topheth- they hunt after the many conspiracies and cults who mutilate human lives for selfish gain, just like they were.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I have a novel thought for a group adjacent to the Tartaruchi, focused on the murder of Python at the hands of Apollo and how he had to take over the role of providing visions at Delphi. You could do some fun stuff with a cthonic snake bloodline and a sense of an inherited duty from a prior group mistaken for monsters.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    The Benei Topheth- they hunt after the many conspiracies and cults who mutilate human lives for selfish gain, just like they were.
                    Well, don't I feel dumb. I've even suggested that as a Deviant Dark Era, based on your description.

Back on Promethean, what about a newer strand of mythology like Theosophy? According to some brief checking on Wikipedia:

According to Blavatsky's teaching, every solar system in the universe is the expression of what is termed a "Logos" or "Solar Deity". Ranked below this Solar Deity are seven ministers or planetary spirits, with each of these celestial beings being in control of evolution on a particular planet.

and

In Theosophical literature, these Masters are also referred to as the Mahatmas, Adepts, Masters of Wisdom, Masters of Compassion, and Elder Brothers. They are perceived to be a fraternity of human men who are highly evolved, both in terms of having an advanced moral development and intellectual attainment. They are claimed to have achieved extra-long life spans.

and

According to Theosophy, each root race has its own Manu which physically incarnates in an advanced body of an individual of the old root race and physically progenerates with a suitable female partner the first individuals of the new root race.

Which could be equated with respectively with the Principle, the Qashmalim, and a strain of the cursed blood who believe they're the first of the Sixth Race. Logically they'd be alchemists (though there's a certain logic to them not being insatiate - but maybe they are - believing you're a new race is a pretty direct departure point for treating other people like tools, and Prometheans are easy to decide to treat like tools).

Perhaps the hunter conspiracy are unlike the strains in that they outright reject their forebears' myth rather than seeing it differently.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      I have a novel thought for a group adjacent to the Tartaruchi, focused on the murder of Python at the hands of Apollo and how he had to take over the role of providing visions at Delphi. You could do some fun stuff with a cthonic snake bloodline and a sense of an inherited duty from a prior group mistaken for monsters.
                      I think LostLight's Pythian Brotherhood covered that niche somewhat, though I am curious about that idea of yours.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

I think LostLight's Pythian Brotherhood covered that niche somewhat, though I am curious about that idea of yours.
                        actually, considering that atamajakki's ideal seem to suggest the Tartaruchi destroying an older line of demon blooded, I don't think that the existence of the Pythian Oracles would present a problem. If anything, it would support it- perhaps the ancestors of the Oracles has worshiped those serpent blooded, and when the Tartaruchi destroyed them they had to take their place at policing the wicked, something which helped forming their philosophy of sin and punishment. On the other hand, the human worshipers has survived- and the last of them used a body-stealing ritual in order to carry the ancient sense of duty they had to the serpent blooded, although from another angle- one punish the wicked for the sins of the past, the other acts against the sins of the future. At any case, it could make an excellent plot hook for both groups- so I'm also curious to see what atamajakki has in mind.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                          -snipt-
                          well, that's something to consider. Perhaps the new lineage is a recreation of an ancient one- that is, each time one bloodline finish its role and achieves "New Dawn" of some sort, the Principle guides another to take its place or something?

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                            well, that's something to consider. Perhaps the new lineage is a recreation of an ancient one- that is, each time one bloodline finish its role and achieves "New Dawn" of some sort, the Principle guides another to take its place or something?
                            I really wonder how that could be handled. That said, weren't Qashmallim capable of bestowing parthenogenic pregnancies or something in 1E?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

so, while I'm thinking about the last promethean bloodline, here is a sum up post about the difference in ideology and philosophy among the many Strains of Cursed Blood:

Lucifuge: "we are demons, and we must redeem ourselves for that"

Otodo: "we are demons, and it gives us burden and duty"

Tartaruchi: "we are demons, but hell has its place in the world"

Al Rih al Asuad: "we are demons, and it takes one to beat one"

Hrt Isfet: "we are demons, for it is the lesser of two evils"

Nemontemi: "we are demons, and we won't forget it again"

Penyihir Mayat: "we are demons, but we still have a choice"

Tiansheng: "we are demons, so what?"

Tatau o te Po: "we are demons, and they hate us for that"

Avici Sutra: "we are demons, but we don't have to be"

Usij: "we are demons, so we can walk among them unseen"

Burya Storozh: "we are demons, and it gives us power to protect our people"

Benei Topheth: "we are demons, and those who made us such would pay"

L'Enfant Diabolique: "we are demons"
                              Last edited by LostLight; 07-28-2017, 06:44 AM.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Hm. So is there any inspiration to draw from trying to come up other second clauses?

"We are demons, but that doesn't mean what it once did." - This might suit a group that believes its otherworldly progenitors have been destroyed or redeemed. Though I can't come up with any ideas for that I like.

"We are demons, and all we have is each other." - This might suit a group that traces its origin to an event rather than an otherworldly being or species. Maybe they claim descent from people who survived the Flood: in their blood, they have the unrighteousness of the Antediluvian world diluted with the rage of the waters; they don't belong in this new world, and cling to one another. Or from Cain or Cartaphilus, both rejected by the world in their own ways. Or from the thieves who were crucified alongside Jesus, and resurrected (or half-resurrected) when he was; now their blood bears divinity that was never meant for them. Any of those could have parallels with Promethean; some suggest redemption or self-defence as hunting methods, but in fact the hunting might be orthogonal to their ancestry: they think hunting is worth doing for the reasons any hunter might think so, just that their powers make them good at it.

"We are demons, and the world is best rid of us." - I don't know what a group like this would be, but it's an ideology that occurred to me.

"We are not demons." - This might also suit a group descended from an event. Or a group whose rejection of their purported progenitor is a rejection of the whole myth (as if the Lucifuge didn't believe in the devil, thinking their powers came from something else). Or a group that has no idea what's in their blood only that it has power. It might also suit a group whose progenitor is frequenty demonised, but whose demonism they reject. Maybe they descend from Ha-Shaitan the Accuser, and their task is to put the monsters of the world through trials to test their righteousness; they could easily be siblings of the Lucifuge, and L'Enfants Diabolique, but they'd see the Vigil very differently.

Comment

Working...
                                X