Strains of the Cursed Blood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
    Hm. So is there any inspiration to draw from trying to come up other second clauses?
    The "world is best rid of us" one sounds like it could work for a lineage with suicidal tendencies. But before they die, they take the monsters they fight down with them.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
      The "world is best rid of us" one sounds like it could work for a lineage with suicidal tendencies. But before they die, they take the monsters they fight down with them.
      On RPGNet last year, a Buddhist poster made a long thread about Buddhist beliefs, which included some details about the Buddhist (at least his school's) view of karma that's quite different from how it's usually depicted. First, it's immediate: karma isn't a tally of good and bad according to which consequences are assigned; it's an abstracted tally of the consequences themselves. Second, it's not personalised: karma is "yours" to the extent that you cause it, but it may affect anyone; therefore, minimising your bad karma is an obligation to others as well as yourself.

Eg, if you kick a dog, your first bit of bad karma is the pain the dog feels, and the distrust now engendered in that dog towards humans in general. It might include the strengthening of that part of yourself that likes kicking dogs, the pain you feel when the dog responds by biting you, or the pain someone else feels when the dog bites them assuming they're going to kick it. On a more metaphysical level, it might be final thing that tips you into reincarnation into one of the hells, because that's the only way you know how see the world any more.

So how would this manifest in a hunter group? Monsters - including the various strains of cursed blood - are humanity's bad karma. The consequence of humanity building a world where monsters thrive. Therefore, the response according to this conspiracy is to build a world where monsters do not thrive. Hunting, and supporting other hunters, at least those that aren't monsters in their own right, is one approach. But inculcatng compassion and enlightenment are important too. It will take a long time, but if they succeed, they and the other monsters will be gone.

A completely different approach might be a group of Scandinavian extraction who believe they have the blood of trolls (or to get grander about it, fire giants). Evil isn't the right word exactly, but their nature is ill and cursed. But the're not willing to settle for that - they want to be heroes, and reconised as such, and into Valhalla. So they want to go down in battle - but they want it to be a sufficiently heroic and hard-core battle that they're confident the Valkyries will choose them. Actually, rather than "the world is best rid of us," this might be expressed as "We're demons, but we want more."

Either of these have a pretty generic view of monsters, so if they parallel any of the lines the way the Strains threads have been doing, it would be the generic horrors in the Chrod core book. If they have an Endowment, it might just be Dread Powers.

Comment

So how would this manifest in a hunter group? Monsters - including the various strains of cursed blood - are humanity's bad karma. The consequence of humanity building a world where monsters thrive. Therefore, the response according to this conspiracy is to build a world where monsters do not thrive. Hunting, and supporting other hunters, at least those that aren't monsters in their own right, is one approach. But in cultivating compassion and enlightenment are important too. It will take a long time, but if they succeed, they and the other monsters will be gone.
        I could just as easily picture this as being the basis for a faction in the Avici Sutra.

A completely different approach might be a group of Scandinavian extraction who believe they have the blood of trolls (or to get grander about it, fire giants). Evil isn't the right word exactly, but their nature is ill and cursed. But the're not willing to settle for that - they want to be heroes, and reconised as such, and into Valhalla. So they want to go down in battle - but they want it to be a sufficiently heroic and hard-core battle that they're confident the Valkyries will choose them. Actually, rather than "the world is best rid of us," this might be expressed as "We're demons, but we want more".
        The "we want more" quote certainly sounds apt for this concept.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

ammmm that is an interesting concept for Jotun blooded, which I've already thought as possible candidate for the Promethean descendant line. If I won't think about another, non european origin for such a lineage, I think I'll go with that direction. I do have tests right now, however, so it may take awhile.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
          I now blog in here

Comment

I got a tentative idea for another Beast-themed lineage. Instead of Atavisms, what if its members use Nightmares for their Endowment? Part of me was thinking of calling the Endowment "Koshmar" if they have their origins in Russia, but I'm interested in expounding and revising this.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
              I got a tentative idea for another Beast-themed lineage. Instead of Atavisms, what if its members use Nightmares for their Endowment? Part of me was thinking of calling the Endowment "Koshmar" if they have their origins in Russia, but I'm interested in expounding and revising this.
              well, considering that part of themes of the project is exploring how different strains differ through the world, if I were to make another Beast focused bloodline, Russia would probably be the last place I'll use for them, as the Storm Wardens already occupy that cultural region. Maybe Australia could offer better options for those of nightmarish blood?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Hmm. That actually works. If that is the case, what name would I give to the Endowment?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

How do they get the Nightmares? It might be interesting if they have to distill them from horrors (not Horrors) they see in the real world, the way Beasts make new Chambers - witnessing some act of fear or violation, not necessarily supernatural, and drawing power from how it resonates with the Primordial Dream - after which they can draw on it again. I could see being structured something like Castigation, in that there's a limit to how much resonance with fear and violation you can keep in you at once without getting callous and evil yourself - but getting new powers would require immersing yourself in darkness, and letting something horrible happen. Maybe avenging it afterwards.

The subclause ideology for them might be "We're demons, and we're going to make them regret that."

It doesn't say Australia to me, though.

Comment

and with the last Bloodline of the Penyihir Mayat, I pronounce this project as complete! Of course, if someone has some cool idea about developing some of the ideas suggested in this thread or even adding new ones, feel free to do so and I'll include them in this thread!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                      and with the last Bloodline of the http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/hunter-the-vigil/1121751-penyihir-mayat-strains-of-cursed-blood-south-east-asia"]Penyihir Mayat[/URL], I pronounce this project as complete! Of course, if someone has some cool idea about developing some of the ideas suggested in this thread or even adding new ones, feel free to do so and I'll include them in this thread!
                      Could you list which game-line (if any) the various groups are associated with in the post listing them?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Could you list which game-line (if any) the various groups are associated with in the post listing them?
                        very well. Added.

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                        X