X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LostLight
    started a topic Strains of the Cursed Blood

Strains of the Cursed Blood

just something that I've thought about while reading Dark Eras.

I remember that when Beast's preview was out, I've simply thought about the Otodo as a local version of the Lucifuge- the names may be different, but their powers and nature is the same. However, Fallen Blossom's preview has clearly made it look like it was not the case- or at least, not exactly (I remember Kingsraven interpretation, that the Lucifuge are "royalty" while the Otodo are "commoners"). Things got even more interesting after I finally got Hunter's Dark Eras- The Lucifuge see the Otodo as a some sort of mystery in Fallen Blossoms, while the Lucifuge are seen through European lens in Doubting Souls even from the native hunters' point of view. That made me think that perhaps, the Lucifuge are not a global phenomena- that they spread together with their blood, and that the original birth of that lineage was somewhere in Europe, perhaps during the fall of the Roman Empire and the beginning of the Dark Ages. The only way you could get further is by tying them to Judaism, at best to Lilith and Samael, or maybe even Moloch if we go all back to "Book of Judges" Era, which I'm not sure could work- the Lucifuge just don't feel that old. But I'm drifting- the point was that it all has started with one, single lineage, and as the culture in which it was birthed spread, so did they.

But what about other lineages?

There are many demons out there, after all- with the fallen angels of Christianity and the club wielding Oni are just a small part of Hell. Yet, not all such demons have given birth to earthly offspring- or if they did, those lineages has died out before organizing themselves- but others may survived. Pazuzu ruled over wind and plague, and those dark winds may have laid with women to give birth to their spawn. The Asura are addicted to their passions, and people may reborn as them if they weren't restrained in their former lives. The Daeva could be interpenetrated as psychological terrors, which sound a bit too similar to the demons from Inferno. The Yaoguai from China, the Yakseya from Sri Lanka, the Wekufe from South America- with some liberties, we could even get Egyptian and Mesoamerican lineages. While some of those lineages could survive into the modern era without a significant change- like the Indian or Chinese lineages- others may require a certain adjustment to their myths in order to find place in the world. The plague bearing children of Pazuzu, for example, may have embraced Islam and ties themselves to the court of Iblis. Mesoamerican lineage may have taken a Christian facade after loosing many of their kind for the diseases they suffered after the Spanish came to their land. On the other hand, some may have kept a low profile through the ancient times in order to survive- the children who were given to Moloch still banish demons in the Holy Land. Maat is still protected by those touched by the serpent's venom. And the best of all? Not all of them need to be descendant from Inferno! There are many demons out there, and each may spawn a different bloodline.

And what about the L'Enfant Diabolique?

Where the different families may keep to themselves, the L'Enfant may truly be a satanic conspiracy- they find 7th Generations from all around the world and breed them together. They embrace the demonspawn of any demons, of any hell. In their blood, mix the genetics of millennia of evil. They accept anyone, no matter who your parent is and from which hell you were spawned- as long as you commit to the satanic agenda. They are your family- and they want you home.

so- any thoughts about the subject?

• TheScottishFianna
    replied
    So I tried my hand at writing up that giant blooded bloodline. I'd appreciate any feedback! Also, I'm still working on the Endowments
    Sons of Ymir [Myth Breakers]

Warriors of a dead god, children of monsters long thought extinct, the Sons of Ymir have had a long, storied history. They originated in Scandinavia, serving as shamans and thanes to the Vikings. According to legend, they are born from the drops of Ymir’s blood that fell when Odin and his brothers killed the primordial giant, seeping into his dead body, now the earth, and tainting humans with the Jotun’s power. The Jotnarborn, as they call themselves, struggle with the beastial rage of their ancestor, but are blessed with power from their dead lineage as well.

In ancient times, they served the community but were always outsiders, trusted as shield-mates to great heros, but never the objects of stories themselves. However, this suited the Jotnar, as they did their best work in the shadows, hunting draugr and other monsters of the night, turning their gifts to hunting the abominable monsters that hid in the shadows. With the coming of Christianity to their homelands, the Sons adapted, swearing fealty to the church by day, but fulfilling their ancient duties by night. For centuries the Sons stayed in Scandinavia, but the discovery of the new world by Europeans led to the Sons hearing of similar stories of giants in the Americas, and, wondering if perhaps they had kin in the Americas, the Jotnar began to disperse throughout the world, hunting monsters and starting families.

Over the centuries, a formal system of assistance, lore keeping, and traveling aid developed between the different sects of the Sons, which came to be known as the Web of Frost. The Web of Frost allowed a great deal of information to be passed between the disparate families, who in 1750 came together to formally re-form the Sons of Ymir, headed by the Althanes, the heads of the great families. They sent their sons out into the world, tracking down lost cousins and gathering lore, and consolidating power into a global lodge of monster-fighters. They focused their efforts on the beasts calling themselves The Begotten, whose giants proved formidable foes for the Jotnar. The biggest issue, however, for the Jotnar, was piercing the potent glamours that hide the true forms of their cousins.

They eventually became aware, however, of others moving in the night, others who claimed descent from monsters. The Lucifuge, as they called themselves, disgusted the Jotnar, seeing their divine gifts as a curse, although most of the Sons respected that they at least attempted to use their gifts constructively. The Lucifuge’s Christian view also rubbed the Sons the wrong way, and many meetings between the two groups agents resulted in angry words, and blows being struck. For decades the two conspiracies fought a shadow war, constantly fighting over theology and politics, with the Sons decidedly on the back foot, as their cavalier attitudes often lead to high casualty rates during hunts. In 2000, a disastrous fight between agents of the two groups in Mexico lead to an earthquake that killed hundreds, while the giant responsible escaped into the night. The Lady Lucifuge and the Althanes were forced to come into agreement on a cease-fire, although neither group of hunters trust the other fully. However, their priority is preventing such further catastrophes in the future.
    For the pride of giants flows through the veins of the Jotnar, but so does their strength, and that strength is turned towards the Vigil.

Sects:
    The Sons of Ymir are divided along three lines, following ancient family allegiances that formed the original conspiracy. These days, the members of the actual families are not forced into their old roles, at least not officially, but traditions are hard to break. The “orphans” found by active agents are formally adopted into the House of their choosing upon finishing a year of brutal training, designed to draw out the latent power in their blood. Each House is lead by an Althane, with the three Althanes ruling the overall conspiracy.

House Mimir: The House of scholars and researchers, the hunters of House Mimir serve as the skalds of the Jotnar, passing down stories of monsters their ancestors fought, and stories of how those monsters were defeated, and recording modern tales of the Sons’ heros. They also experiment with the Jotunblut, seeking to come up with new uses for their divine power.

House Skadi: The field agents of the Sons of Ymir, House Skadi’s sons fight with both modern and ancient weaponry, searching out and destroying the rival giants of the earth. The largest house of the three, members of House Skadi are notorious for having expansive families, and training their sons and daughters personally in the art of the hunt.

House Utgard-Loki: The political movers of the conspiracy, they also organize the global nature of the Sons of Ymir, maintaining contact between local cells and the organization as a whole, dispatching teams to aid other hunters or investigate missing cells, and providing the money that fuels the conspiracy, often by selling the services of House Skadi as mercenaries.

0: You have completed your training among the Sons, and are counted as a full member of the organization. You may buy Jotunblut Endowments with experiences or merit points, and gain a Resources rating of one, representing the Sons’ backing.
    000: You are a noted warrior, and have killed several giants or other monsters of the night. You gain the the Safe Place merit at three dots, representing a conspiracy owned safehouse, and also your Resources rating goes up by one.
    00000: You are an experienced and vaunted member of the Sons of Ymir, and may even be considered for a successor for one of the Althanes. You gain the Inspiring merit for free, regardless of prerequisites, as the tales of your previous victories gladden the hearts of your companions. Additionally, your Resources rating goes up by one.

Endowment: Jotunblut
    Jotunblut is a series of powers, purchased individually, that are rated 0-00000. A Jotnar may have as many Jotunblut powers as they wish, but may only have up to their Willpower rating, halved, active at any time. Additionally, when they activate a Jotunblut endowment, they must roll Resolve + Composure - the rating of the Endowment. Failing this roll means the character gains the Murderous Condition, which can be resolved by the Hunter losing consciousness.

The Sight (Jotunblut 0)
    You can see the true forms of monsters, for the true sight of the Jotnar cannot be deceived. The character sees the Horrors of any Beasts automatically, overlayed onto the human form of the Beast. They may attempt to see through magical concealment with a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll, contested by the Manipulation + Supernatural Tolerance of the defender.
    Utgard-Loki’s Glamours (Jotunblut 0-00000)
    This Endowment allows access to Influence (Illusions) at a rating equal to the merit, with an effective Essence pool equal to the character’s Status in the Sons of Ymir.
    Strength of Laufey (Jotunblut 000)
    The Jotnar calls on the primal strength of his forebears, doubling his Strength for one roll. This ability costs one willpower point.
    Storms of Jotunheim (Jotunblut 0000)
    Gain the Tempest Dread Power, with a range of Presence = Yards. You activate the Dread Power by taking either three points of Lethal damage, or one Aggravated Damage, instead of using Essence
    Jormungand’s Coils (Jotunblut 00000)
    With an expenditure of one Willpower point, the character gains the form of a true giant, gaining the following stat bonuses:
    Strength +3, Dexterity -2, Stamina +2, Size +4
    These stat changes do affect derived Attributes. The Endowment lasts for one scene, at which point the character returns to normal size, but keeps all of the damage they sustained during the form, which may kill them, if it exceeds their standard health levels.

Last edited by TheScottishFianna; 10-07-2019, 08:46 PM. Reason: Added a few more Jotunblut Endowments

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Could you list which game-line (if any) the various groups are associated with in the post listing them?
    very well. Added.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    and with the last Bloodline of the http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/hunter-the-vigil/1121751-penyihir-mayat-strains-of-cursed-blood-south-east-asia"]Penyihir Mayat[/URL], I pronounce this project as complete! Of course, if someone has some cool idea about developing some of the ideas suggested in this thread or even adding new ones, feel free to do so and I'll include them in this thread!
    Could you list which game-line (if any) the various groups are associated with in the post listing them?

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    and with the last Bloodline of the Penyihir Mayat, I pronounce this project as complete! Of course, if someone has some cool idea about developing some of the ideas suggested in this thread or even adding new ones, feel free to do so and I'll include them in this thread!

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    How do they get the Nightmares? It might be interesting if they have to distill them from horrors (not Horrors) they see in the real world, the way Beasts make new Chambers - witnessing some act of fear or violation, not necessarily supernatural, and drawing power from how it resonates with the Primordial Dream - after which they can draw on it again. I could see being structured something like Castigation, in that there's a limit to how much resonance with fear and violation you can keep in you at once without getting callous and evil yourself - but getting new powers would require immersing yourself in darkness, and letting something horrible happen. Maybe avenging it afterwards.

The subclause ideology for them might be "We're demons, and we're going to make them regret that."

It doesn't say Australia to me, though.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Hmm. That actually works. If that is the case, what name would I give to the Endowment?

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
    I got a tentative idea for another Beast-themed lineage. Instead of Atavisms, what if its members use Nightmares for their Endowment? Part of me was thinking of calling the Endowment "Koshmar" if they have their origins in Russia, but I'm interested in expounding and revising this.
    well, considering that part of themes of the project is exploring how different strains differ through the world, if I were to make another Beast focused bloodline, Russia would probably be the last place I'll use for them, as the Storm Wardens already occupy that cultural region. Maybe Australia could offer better options for those of nightmarish blood?

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    I got a tentative idea for another Beast-themed lineage. Instead of Atavisms, what if its members use Nightmares for their Endowment? Part of me was thinking of calling the Endowment "Koshmar" if they have their origins in Russia, but I'm interested in expounding and revising this.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    ammmm that is an interesting concept for Jotun blooded, which I've already thought as possible candidate for the Promethean descendant line. If I won't think about another, non european origin for such a lineage, I think I'll go with that direction. I do have tests right now, however, so it may take awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
    So how would this manifest in a hunter group? Monsters - including the various strains of cursed blood - are humanity's bad karma. The consequence of humanity building a world where monsters thrive. Therefore, the response according to this conspiracy is to build a world where monsters do not thrive. Hunting, and supporting other hunters, at least those that aren't monsters in their own right, is one approach. But in cultivating compassion and enlightenment are important too. It will take a long time, but if they succeed, they and the other monsters will be gone.
    I could just as easily picture this as being the basis for a faction in the Avici Sutra.

A completely different approach might be a group of Scandinavian extraction who believe they have the blood of trolls (or to get grander about it, fire giants). Evil isn't the right word exactly, but their nature is ill and cursed. But the're not willing to settle for that - they want to be heroes, and reconised as such, and into Valhalla. So they want to go down in battle - but they want it to be a sufficiently heroic and hard-core battle that they're confident the Valkyries will choose them. Actually, rather than "the world is best rid of us," this might be expressed as "We're demons, but we want more".
    The "we want more" quote certainly sounds apt for this concept.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
    The "world is best rid of us" one sounds like it could work for a lineage with suicidal tendencies. But before they die, they take the monsters they fight down with them.
    On RPGNet last year, a Buddhist poster made a long thread about Buddhist beliefs, which included some details about the Buddhist (at least his school's) view of karma that's quite different from how it's usually depicted. First, it's immediate: karma isn't a tally of good and bad according to which consequences are assigned; it's an abstracted tally of the consequences themselves. Second, it's not personalised: karma is "yours" to the extent that you cause it, but it may affect anyone; therefore, minimising your bad karma is an obligation to others as well as yourself.

Eg, if you kick a dog, your first bit of bad karma is the pain the dog feels, and the distrust now engendered in that dog towards humans in general. It might include the strengthening of that part of yourself that likes kicking dogs, the pain you feel when the dog responds by biting you, or the pain someone else feels when the dog bites them assuming they're going to kick it. On a more metaphysical level, it might be final thing that tips you into reincarnation into one of the hells, because that's the only way you know how see the world any more.

So how would this manifest in a hunter group? Monsters - including the various strains of cursed blood - are humanity's bad karma. The consequence of humanity building a world where monsters thrive. Therefore, the response according to this conspiracy is to build a world where monsters do not thrive. Hunting, and supporting other hunters, at least those that aren't monsters in their own right, is one approach. But inculcatng compassion and enlightenment are important too. It will take a long time, but if they succeed, they and the other monsters will be gone.

A completely different approach might be a group of Scandinavian extraction who believe they have the blood of trolls (or to get grander about it, fire giants). Evil isn't the right word exactly, but their nature is ill and cursed. But the're not willing to settle for that - they want to be heroes, and reconised as such, and into Valhalla. So they want to go down in battle - but they want it to be a sufficiently heroic and hard-core battle that they're confident the Valkyries will choose them. Actually, rather than "the world is best rid of us," this might be expressed as "We're demons, but we want more."

Either of these have a pretty generic view of monsters, so if they parallel any of the lines the way the Strains threads have been doing, it would be the generic horrors in the Chrod core book. If they have an Endowment, it might just be Dread Powers.

Leave a comment:

• Deionscribe
    replied
    Hm. So is there any inspiration to draw from trying to come up other second clauses?
    The "world is best rid of us" one sounds like it could work for a lineage with suicidal tendencies. But before they die, they take the monsters they fight down with them.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Hm. So is there any inspiration to draw from trying to come up other second clauses?

"We are demons, but that doesn't mean what it once did." - This might suit a group that believes its otherworldly progenitors have been destroyed or redeemed. Though I can't come up with any ideas for that I like.

"We are demons, and all we have is each other." - This might suit a group that traces its origin to an event rather than an otherworldly being or species. Maybe they claim descent from people who survived the Flood: in their blood, they have the unrighteousness of the Antediluvian world diluted with the rage of the waters; they don't belong in this new world, and cling to one another. Or from Cain or Cartaphilus, both rejected by the world in their own ways. Or from the thieves who were crucified alongside Jesus, and resurrected (or half-resurrected) when he was; now their blood bears divinity that was never meant for them. Any of those could have parallels with Promethean; some suggest redemption or self-defence as hunting methods, but in fact the hunting might be orthogonal to their ancestry: they think hunting is worth doing for the reasons any hunter might think so, just that their powers make them good at it.

"We are demons, and the world is best rid of us." - I don't know what a group like this would be, but it's an ideology that occurred to me.

"We are not demons." - This might also suit a group descended from an event. Or a group whose rejection of their purported progenitor is a rejection of the whole myth (as if the Lucifuge didn't believe in the devil, thinking their powers came from something else). Or a group that has no idea what's in their blood only that it has power. It might also suit a group whose progenitor is frequenty demonised, but whose demonism they reject. Maybe they descend from Ha-Shaitan the Accuser, and their task is to put the monsters of the world through trials to test their righteousness; they could easily be siblings of the Lucifuge, and L'Enfants Diabolique, but they'd see the Vigil very differently.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    so, while I'm thinking about the last promethean bloodline, here is a sum up post about the difference in ideology and philosophy among the many Strains of Cursed Blood:

Lucifuge: "we are demons, and we must redeem ourselves for that"

Otodo: "we are demons, and it gives us burden and duty"

Tartaruchi: "we are demons, but hell has its place in the world"

Al Rih al Asuad: "we are demons, and it takes one to beat one"

Hrt Isfet: "we are demons, for it is the lesser of two evils"

Nemontemi: "we are demons, and we won't forget it again"

Penyihir Mayat: "we are demons, but we still have a choice"

Tiansheng: "we are demons, so what?"

Tatau o te Po: "we are demons, and they hate us for that"

Avici Sutra: "we are demons, but we don't have to be"

Usij: "we are demons, so we can walk among them unseen"

Burya Storozh: "we are demons, and it gives us power to protect our people"

Benei Topheth: "we are demons, and those who made us such would pay"

L'Enfant Diabolique: "we are demons"
    Last edited by LostLight; 07-28-2017, 06:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X