Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What niches haven't been covered by canon organizations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What niches haven't been covered by canon organizations?

I was rereading an earlier Open Development blog post, and the question about what kind of group hadn't been done yet. Obviously this is one of the subforums that's most active with fan-made content, but I still think this might be a fun topic and one that may well spawn some awesome new ideas. To reiterate: what general ideas (whether from an untapped culture, focused on a different threat, organized differently from the existing ones, methodologically unique, or with a different type of Endowment) do you feel Hunter as a gameline is missing?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

There's not a lot of official material regarding effective 'ghost busters.' Keeping in mind that it's something any mortal can do, has purported representatives in real life, it's surprising that there's no compact or conspiracy dedicated to putting down ghosts or cleaning haunted houses. I know some fans have used Orpheus for this, and obviously there's the Sin-Eater game but it seems like a gap in Hunter.

In the same vein, most of the hunter compacts and conspiracies do involve focusing on the other game-lines, and not much with the other things that dwell in the shadows. The Illuminated Brotherhood are focused on spirits, but no one seems to pay mind to claimed, hosts, strix, ghosts, Pandorans, hobgoblins and so forth. There's even a Demon-hunting conspiracy but no angel-hunting one.

It would be nice to see a territorial mastermind-type conspiracy. An Illuminati of sorts. Some of the conspiracies get close but none really fit. It's a strange thing to miss, since there's so many organizations and entities trying to enforce the Masquerade from the monster side, that there's so few from the human side.
    Last edited by nofather; 06-14-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I'd really love to see a Conspiracy born from organized crime; the Night Watch is more like a street gang than something on the scale I'm considering. What happens when the yakuza or vory get tired of vampires and cultists moving in on their turf? These are groups with a lot of power in the shadows, often on an international scale... surely they bump up against real monsters and don't like being forced to share.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Seconding the "illuminati" and "organized crime" ideas, both are great.

RE Ghostbusting, I believe there's actually a blue book supplement about ghosts and ghost hunters coming out this year? That'd be interesting to look at. I've seen some great ghost-focused orgs, the best being a Russian organization that used metals harvested from the underworld or something (can't remember the name, but they were posted here).

Other things:

- Beast hunters. We don't have any Beast-specific hunters for obvious reasons. I'd expect to see at least nods towards this in either Conquering Heroes or Hunter 2e.

- Mad scientist-hunters. I think this is a great niche, since it covers a lot of potential targets. Prometheans, alchemists, Deviants, Geniuses, GM cultists...

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
          Beast hunters. We don't have any Beast-specific hunters for obvious reasons. I'd expect to see at least nods towards this in either Conquering Heroes or Hunter
          You realize we're not only getting this, but that all three groups have been posted as Open Decelopment here on the forums by the writer, right? MachineIV has done some great work with The Merrick Institute, The Reckoning, and Yuri's Group.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Oh, shit, I saw those threads and assumed they were homebrew, my bad.

EDIT: You came up with a good idea in the other thread, a compact or conspiracy based out of the CDC or FEMA that deals with supernatural diseases.
            Last edited by Geckopirateship; 06-14-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Considering how many little Masquerades the setting has, the mass-media must be a hurricane of activity. So far it's an unexplored niche.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Yay! All of my indexing is finally useful!

-Promethean/Fae/Ghost hunters. We have hunters of all other kinds, and I understand that things like Prometheans are quit rare, but still covering all the main gamelines would just relieve that itch I have.

-Russian/Indian/Chinese/South American/Australian/Sub Sahara African groups. Those places are big, and yet they lack their own groups. While others countries also lack organizations (Israeli, Mexican or Spanish organizations could be cool), but I want to at least feel that the Vigil is world wide, meaning that all the "big regions" should be touched, at least.

-other religious organizations. While we do have a number of those, they are either Christian, Muslim or some fictional religion (Faithful of Shulpae), which is good, but I want to see more of those as part of the "world wide Vigil" thing I want to feel. Hindu, Buddhist and/or Jewish groups would be interesting to see, I think.

other than that- a some sort of "detective agency" could be fun to have, a more of a private organization than a Federal Agency like VASCU. While the Ascending Ones kinda touch the "underworld hunters", a full blown criminal organization could be fun to have. An hunter support group, which focus on patching other hunters up, or groups which focus at hunting the "deeper evil" (strix, idigam, angels, etc) may also be nice to see, I think.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

A diplomatic group would be stellar. I'd honestly be happy with the Lord Stewards being made canon.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Oh, the Lord Stewards were amazing. One of my favorite homebrew groups.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      A diplomatic group would be stellar. I'd honestly be happy with the Lord Stewards being made canon.
                      The Ascending Ones actually talk about doing this, though one can be forgiven for missing it in the hodge podge of stuff they've got rattling around. I'd like to see this aspect of their Vigil given greater emphasis in the future, if only to differentiate them a little more from the other Conspiracies.

Comment

May have missed it, but I don't remember any Hunter group that's specifically on the lookout for those that eat or otherwise destroy souls.

My custom legacy - The Disciples of Rathma - Life/Death focused Moros/Thyrsus Legacy, comments appreciated

Comment

Perhaps a bit recursive, and with minor overlap with VASCU, but what about a Hunter Conspiracy that hunts other Hunters that step out of line (depending on what the "line" is)? Who Watches The Watchmen, basically.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I like that, especially since there's so much room in the setting for both morally dubious-to-evil hunters (Ashwood, Cheiron, the Hunt Club, technically any group on a bad day) and supernatural menaces who started as hunters (Slashers, Heroes, probably some Deviants). There's a Hero-hunting Compact in open dev from David A. Hill, but that's very specifically Beast-focused, since their entire methodology and ideology revolves around Beasts and Heroes. I'd say that your idea would work great as its own thing, with Heroes being one of their regular targets.

I'm leaning more towards Compact, though, since I can't think of anything that would make a good Endowment for them. Maybe they're even made up of members of other Compacts and Conspiracies?

Comment

I'd like to see a group that's goal is to enforce the supernatural status quo. They recognize that the world is populated by a great number of supernatural beings, all of which they think belong. They like the world as it is though and don't want to see Vampire's ghouling the President, Demons actually detroying the God Machine, Mages mass revealing the lie, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X