Vigilant Times: Take 2! [Open Invite]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, some more thoughts about the Viking Era-

after reading Tales of the Dark Era which gave a more in depth look for Beasts in the Viking time, I wonder who exactly should be the "favorite enemies" of the Valdaermen- Beasts are really interesting, and are supported by the Crossover Sidebar, but the image of hunters who carry rune carved silver swords and the shout out to Ascension with connecting them to the dead are just too awesome to give up on. Oh well- perhaps the "Beast hunting" aspect could be moved to one of the foreign groups.

Talking about foreign groups- considering that the Byzantine Empire is in the background of the setting, the Aegis Kai Doru should also be in there. The Nibiru should also be around, travelling to the distant lands of Northern Europe as volvas and shamans. Also, since those are the Middle Ages, we can finally meet the Lucifuge who grew in the meanwhile among Western Europe, as the Pyr Tartarus take the guise of Eastern Orthodoxy (the Slavic Strain may also start forming in the Kievan Rus, but would still lack a solidified form).

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Comment

some thoughts about After the Fall.

Constantinople was a bastion of the God Machine's power, and with its fall the demons can finally attempt at building their own Hell. For the Unchained, this is a theme of hope- but for the regular people, this is Hell on Earth. The God Machine, while being a tyrant, was a stabilizing presence which kept the city- and the empire which evolved around it- under strict control. As God lost its grip over the city, all kinds of terrors are unleashed upon the citizens of the city- shadows lurk with hidden monsters, nightmares turn into truth. Vampires struggle over control, and innocent bystanders get caught in their struggle. Werewolves destroy the existing spirits ecology for better and worse. Terrible Undying Ones hide beneath the city and feast upon those who won't be missed. Witches and Reanimated are lured into Constantinople by the opportunities it offers. Nightmares take form and feast upon fear. The dead linger after the war. A slasher plunk the eyes of her victims as she move through the Underworld...

And demons, demons everywhere.

The themes of this Era are Rebuilding and Possibility- both for demons and for hunters. For years, everything was under control- but now, chaos spread through the shadow society, forcing the monolithic organizations of hunters to grow and change. There is a chance for profit in that situation- but the risk for failure could be terrible. With former conspiracies being reduced to ash, new groups has the opportunity to gain power and establish themselves in the Ottoman Empire. Others use the chaos in order to hunt their enemies and take over their resources. And of course, the Machine may have been watchful over the city bit it wasn't always kind- the God Machine works to preserve a status que, creating a mechanical Heaven with purpose for everything and few points of light in a sea of eternal darkness. While the destruction of its Infrastructures has unleashed countless horrors, it also gives the hunters an opportunity to challenge the laws of God and try to make a better world for themselves, creating their own Paradise which is free from both Heaven and Hell.

Good luck with that.

As for the main powers in the story- the Aegis Kai Doru are, canonically, major players of that Era. They seek after the hidden treasures of Constantinople and hunt after the witches who enter the city as they seek new mysteries to solve. The Ksirafai, which were mentioned in the previous Era, have lost most of their influence and have been reduced from a proud conspiracy with access to holy machinery and control over the Imperial Guards of the empire into a mere compact- but not for long. Building themselves around the new Janissary caste, they are able to regain much of their status and eventually get their former glory- even if they have to constantly check for demonic influence. With so many hints about dangerous Nightmares going out of control it is safe to assume that somehow, the God Machine was able to stop the Devouring from taking place, banishing the influence of Beasts and the Primordial Dream- and now they come en masses, and their Dark Mother may come with them- which means we need a group who deals with dreams and nightmares, that is someone who focus around Changelings and Beasts. With so many dead, the Ebony Fangs are surely around, hunting both ghosts and the Bound- and chasing that mysterious assassin (anyone knows who ti may be?). Perhaps a mummy focused group would also be appropriate, especially one focused around the Devourer- but the Faithful of Shulpae would also won't be out of place, especially considering the influence of the dread goddess. Also, we have a chance of explore Eastern Europe and its local groups- such as the Orthodox Strain of Cursed Blood who call upon the blood of dragons to fight demons- both Unchained and not.

This is a time in which Heaven itself Fell to Hell- there are demons everywhere and dangers in every corner, but it won't stay like that forever. It would rebuild itself, stronger and better.

And the Vigil would light the candles to guide it forward.

any thoughts?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        yeah, I did had a rough concept for them in that Era. If you want to discuss it, I think it would be better to do so at PMs or at the Vigilant Times thread, so we won't derail this one.
        Well, right now, I am wondering if the Norse somehow have stories that speak of the Nibiru, who probably have been visiting their homelands way before the Vikings began their raids.

And then I had this idea. What if the Nibiru were the inspiration for a particular group of spirits or goddesses of protection? What if they formed the basis of the Disir?

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Incomplete draft for Nibiru tie-in to TW&TR and Acro's Fall of Fenris.

The Wolf and the Raven: Breakers of Chains

For as long its people can remember, the Nibiru have visited the North. They bound many ancient spirits and elder gods, and worked to ensure that none could escape their prisons. Each of these horrors once preyed on humankind in ages past, and they would wreak untold havoc on the land should they somehow be unleashed.

The First Hunters' sojourns do not go unnoticed. Many tales speak of these strange women who hail from the lands of the Byzantine Empire. Their seidr and ceremonies inspired both awe and fear, for it is said that they worked to prevent Ragnarok until the einherjar are ready to face it. Some stories even equate the Nine Daughters to the Disir, of whom the Valkyries are counted among. However they were portrayed, the Nibiru were given much respect in the Norselands, and it served them well in their Vigil.

But while they hunted down dark gods so they may be bound or slain, they also fought them to release a mighty prisoner of theirs.

The Nibiru know of the jotnar, and how they came to be in the mortal world. They recognized the threat they posed, and have long struggled to end it since the days of the Roman Empire. However, they never expected them to grow strong and cunning enough to bind a Firstborn, and the fiercest among their number no less. Now, Fenris-Ur lies locked away in their lands, and his power is slowly but surely being drained through the magic of his captors.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            -Collega Chironos (Greece, freed slaves who use their knowledge of medicine to heal the sick and use beasts to make men into heroes)
            Too early to use Latin like that IMO. The "slave" angle was something I went with for "Vigil for Rome" because of the role of educated Greek slaves in the Roman Empire. I'm not sure how that angle plays in the Hellenistic Era.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I was tinkering with a high medieval setting (12th & 13th Centuries) - I'm thinking that the Sacred Order of the Knights of Saint George should be the dominant Conspiracy in Western Christendom (as well as the Crusader states). They exist as a faction of the Knights Templar. The distinctly English order is what's left after the fall of the Templars.

So Conspiracy wise that's the Knights of Saint George in Western Christendom, Aegis Kai Doru in Eastern Christendom, the Ascending Ones throughout the Umma, and the Lucifuge scattered in the shadows wherever particular cursed houses and bloodlines might arise.

I'm intentionally leaving this as a blank space in the history of Cheiron - my thinking is that the Cult of the Sign has gathered and been destroyed multiple times in history until others rediscover the Sign and the Cult is reborn.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but i think that Sundered World Era is far enough back that Heroes are actually still uncorrupted. They might even be useful allies to Hunters
                Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                  I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but i think that Sundered World Era is far enough back that Heroes are actually still uncorrupted. They might even be useful allies to Hunters
                  I believe Arcanist covered that in his Sundered World Chronicles thread.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    I was tinkering with a high medieval setting (12th & 13th Centuries) - I'm thinking that the Sacred Order of the Knights of Saint George should be the dominant Conspiracy in Western Christendom (as well as the Crusader states). They exist as a faction of the Knights Templar. The distinctly English order is what's left after the fall of the Templars.
                    that sounds quit right- and it works with that Witch Finders fiction about the Knights and their fight against the Batinni

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

I believe Arcanist covered that in his Sundered World Chronicles thread.

Which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                        Which one?
                        This.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Thanks. Seems to be what i was thinking, but much better. So, the idea is that it's basically backstory overload that corrupted Heroes?

Perhaps then, a (very, very) long-term goal could be to try to shift the stories that build the Dream to give them better directives?

Comment

My idea on Ruins of Empire is that this is the point in time where Aegis Kai Doru gets its foothold in Western Academia. Up until this point it's been strongly rooted in the historically "Byzantine" world. Think Ardeth Bay in "the Mummy", or the guys with the fezes in "Last Crusade".

So then you have these Western adventurers ala Rick and Evelyn (the Mummy) showing up and getting caught up with the ancient forces they also realize now needs to be fought/contained, and thus end up becoming recruits for Aegis Kai Doru and serving as their point of infiltration into Western imperial academia.

Comment

Working...
                            X