With Candle and Furnace [Hunters and Alchemists]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Candle and Furnace [Hunters and Alchemists]

In P:tC 2e, at the Alchemists section, we have a sidebar which details the most basic interaction between Hunters and Alchemists. It even says that some groups not only maintain close and working relationships with Alchemists, but learn alchemy by themselves. Most of the cases are could be expected (Cheiron Group, Loyalists and the MM) and at some I was pretty surprised (the Ashwood Abbey). Also, the Ascending Ones are officially declared to be Alchemists (I remember there was a certain amount of discussion about the subject), even though they practice their own technique and usually avoid chasing after prometheans for Vitriol. It also includes that it is not unheard of for hunters and alchemists to actually work together and trade information, and 3 out of the 5 example guilds seem like groups who could employ hunters to their service (Amalgama Ltd, the Order of Auric Chalice and the Lodowick Society).

In sort, what kinds of interactions do you think there could be between the compacts and conspiracies of Hunter and the occult guilds of the Alchemists? Which hunter orgs should have alchemists in their ranks, or maintain close relationships with them, or actively hunt them down? And what kind of story hooks could you think about when the vigilant flame of the candle meets the divine fire of heavens?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

I see a lot of shady trades between Hunters and Alchemists. In particular Hunters giving their latest kill to Alchemists Guilds for research in return for protection and discretion. Here's an example:

The Dirge of New Orleans. Those hunters who make sure the dead stay interred in their tombs are baffled when the Mississippi floods over and strange Extempores form seemingly spontaneously admist the muck and rain. Their Disquiet brings with them the rivers and the mud and civilization evaporates with it. What is to be done?
    The Alchemists know. And they will help drive off these Created...if Dirge gives them full access to what's in the walled off crypts of St. Louis Cemetary in return of course.

Comment

I can see the Null having a few Alchemists born when a scholar notes the Divine Fire and becomes obsessed with codifing it scientifically. Likewise, I can see an Insatiate fiting in frightingly well amongst the Faithful. I could also see the Alchemists fiting in oddly well among the Keepers of the Source, held up as "good wizards" because they don't use "Source". I'll have to think and look things over to come up with more.

Comment

Is it Mortal Remains or Compacts & Conspiracies that talks about the Ascending Ones secretly trying to build a Promethean army? They honestly seem like the best Hunter group to deal with Alchemists.

Comment

Holy crud, can't believed I mentioned a Faithful Insatiate without making the much more obvious Promethean Brotherhood Alchemist! In terms of anti-Alchemist groups, I could see VASCU being called in when a bunch of dissected bodies start showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
            Is it Mortal Remains or Compacts & Conspiracies that talks about the Ascending Ones secretly trying to build a Promethean army? They honestly seem like the best Hunter group to deal with Alchemists.
            C&C- and yes, they should be good at dealing with alchemists. It takes one to beat one, after all :P

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

How about an alchemist in the Lucifuge who is somewhat insatiate? I could see him pursue his craft in order to explore his demonic heritage. Alternatively, a more cautious alchemist could perhaps be trying to purge it.

There's also the concept of an alchemist working with/for TFV. Mortal Remains did mention that Created were considered high priority targets by them. Perhaps it's because they're cut apart by the alchemists among their R&D group? Or maybe the Prometheans are handed over to a guild in their payroll in exchange for their service as consultants?

On a more antagonistic note, Habibti Ma would probably see alchemist guilds as another type of cult, so they would go out of their way to disband them and rehabilitate their members.

And with regards to fan-made groups, perhaps the Followers of Set have their own contingent of alchemists? I can see both cautious practitioners who parley with the Created and insatiates who turn their predations upon Centimani and Pandorans present in tense coexistence.
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 08-16-2016, 06:58 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Just a thought. The AKD are obsessed with magic items. Athanors are magic items. A type of Athanor is a Vitriol Fount, which produces Vitriol. Alchemists are obsessed with Vitriol. Maybe the AKD has a collection of Founts they let Alchemists use in exchange for favors?

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                  Just a thought. The AKD are obsessed with magic items. Athanors are magic items. A type of Athanor is a Vitriol Fount, which produces Vitriol. Alchemists are obsessed with Vitriol. Maybe the AKD has a collection of Founts they let Alchemists use in exchange for favors?
                  Now that Athanors can be physical items that does seem like something AKD would be all about snatching up.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                    Now that Athanors can be physical items that does seem like something AKD would be all about snatching up.
                    Except Prometheans are the only ones who can use Athanors. At least, that's what I remember. Of course, it shouldn't be too hard to whip up a Merit that allows an Alchemist to use them.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Except Prometheans are the only ones who can use Athanors. At least, that's what I remember. Of course, it shouldn't be too hard to whip up a Merit that allows an Alchemist to use them.
                      Somehow I imagine the AKD would view that as a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

hunters do have a tendency to bend the rules and do things they aren't supposed to do, so I don't see any problem with that.

I now blog in here

Comment

Necro'ing this again after four months of inactivity.

I've been re-reading a lot of Tokyo content lately, and found myself thinking of the Hototogisu. They certainly are a good fit for Alchemists of all stripes, seeing as there is a common ground between their respective goals.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Well, the Hototogisu do have a Biotech division which is apparently getting close to unlocking the secrets of the Divine Fire- although that right now, it looks like they lack actual alchemists in their rank. I assume that their future alchemists would be involved mostly at bioengineering, either making clones or flesh horrors used as mercenaries or something, or even start making things a bit too similar to taumatech. I assume Cheiron won't like it.

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                            X