2E Idea - How Slashers come to being?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2E Idea - How Slashers come to being?

Watching lately some good horrors shows ( AHS and Penny Dreadful ) I started to think how should Slashers come to being in Hunter. Typical is trope of 'sadist by years, becoming mass murderer when push too far' and so I got proposition for Devs team on subject.

What if Slasher comes from mortals that got Dramatic Failure on Integrity roll?

Yes, I mean both 'I killed my loved one' and 'Oh my God, monster almost ate me!' rolls. It does have sense that both kind of critical trauma can lead to Slashdom. It could also worked with Hunters - even if they would have Integrity equivalent as Code, some of them can still have Dramatic Failures on rolls for it.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
    MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
    MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

I don't know- I don't think that Slasherhood should come from something as simple as a roll. You don't turn into a compulsive murderer by one act which terribly effected your mind- it should be a process, something which wears of your sanity and twist your mind. I think that using some form of "losing Touchstones" mechanic may be better than simply failing a roll, even if dramatically so- especially since the CofD system encourage you to exchange regular Failures with Dramatic ones in order to make a more interesting story.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.”-The Joker

Comment

Slashers, look like something that should be viable encounters for other splats, to me...

Vampires in particular might not appreciate the people fearing ANYTHING more then them.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          I don't know- I don't think that Slasherhood should come from something as simple as a roll. You don't turn into a compulsive murderer by one act which terribly effected your mind- it should be a process, something which wears of your sanity and twist your mind. I think that using some form of "losing Touchstones" mechanic may be better than simply failing a roll, even if dramatically so- especially since the CofD system encourage you to exchange regular Failures with Dramatic ones in order to make a more interesting story.
          This would remove the possibility of someone like the punisher or the joker from coming into being.

Offense is rarely given, but often taken.

Comment

A slasher is not a madman. A slasher is not an avenging anti hero. A slasher could be one of those, but that is not his very essence- a slasher, at its base, is a monster. Most people, even if they suffer a terrible lost or go through a mind breaking experience, don't end up as serial killers- they come out broken, sure. They are changed by the event, of course- but they don't go and develop some compulsion to kill other people, and they do not develop some supernatural abilities as an outcome of killing people.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some "defining event" which eventually turned someone into a slasher- but tying it all to a single roll doesn't make it feel more horrifying- it breaks the suspension of disbelief. The Joker says that all it takes is one bad day to turn someone into a lunatic. I'm saying that in the case of the Joker, apparently the foundation itself was too shaky. Serial killers are mad- but being mad does not make you into a serial killer.

Also- I'll think once or twice before relying on the word of a madman about what it takes to make someone crazy.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post

Also- I'll think once or twice before relying on the word of a madman about what it takes to make someone crazy.
              "Trying to understand madness with reason is like searching for darkness with a torch"- A fictional psychiatrist whose name I don't remember.

​But seriously, no, I don't really think that type of transformation happens in an instant...normally. I can only guess that an individual whose mind is shattered by a single trauma may have had some cracks already. It does, however, make for interesting stories. And let's face it, Arkham Asylum holds some truly fascinating Slashers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
                ​But seriously, no, I don't really think that type of transformation happens in an instant...normally. I can only guess that an individual whose mind is shattered by a single trauma may have had some cracks already.
                Like character is really life rattled ( with Integrity 2-3 ) and then get's Dramatic Failure on his Integrity roll? Maybe even mythical 'if character were gone to lost his last dot of Integrity, she become Slasher instead'?
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-31-2016, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I would honestly much prefer Slasher-dom be based on a series of Conditions that can be taken when Integrity loss occurs. To me this is important because template or no being a serial killer is neither a binary state nor something that just happens on its own. If someone becomes a Slasher its because at some point they made a choice. Maybe its because they're evil, maybe its because they've seen too much, maybe its because the voices in their head compelled them to, but the choice occurred. That being said, serial murder is not a pathology that flips on like switch. Its a set of behaviors and warning signs that build upon and compound each other over time.

Comment

Question is rather simpler - Is serial murderer the Slasher? I think it depends on definition...

Comment

I've always considered Slashers separate from serial killers, and Slasher book seems to agree. Every Slasher is serial killer, but not every serial killer is a Slasher. Slashers aren't defined just by what they do, but what they will become. Every single Ripper has the potential to become Scourge, a magical creature with impossible abilities. And given time and opportunity, they will become so if they aren't stopped or decide to stop by themselves. Slashers are broken on some deep level, and the cracks within become route to greater power. They aren't just mentally ill or evil people, they're monsters.
                      Last edited by Crazy_Ivan; 08-31-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K9ine View Post

This would remove the possibility of someone like the punisher or the joker from coming into being.
                        You mean sort of like the actual DC Universe, as that entire comic's flashbacks were dedicated to showing that the Joker's bad day was the culmination of a very sucky life? One bad day without the proper prep gives you Gordon by the end of it-traumatized, but functional and with value systems largely unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

You mean sort of like the actual DC Universe, as that entire comic's flashbacks were dedicated to showing that the Joker's bad day was the culmination of a very sucky life? One bad day without the proper prep gives you Gordon by the end of it-traumatized, but functional and with value systems largely unchanged.
                          Your right... but, in game terms the "bad day" would be the part you would experience at the table. It would make sense is there were mechanics that led up to that point, but the final "fall" of the character could be in the player's control with a dramatic failure.

Offense is rarely given, but often taken.

Comment

I think defining it as a dice roll takes a lot of the mystery of it. Slashers just are. You can identify warning signs and look or potential triggers, but you never know who's going to turn, who's going to resist and stay sane, and who's just destined for it.

Sure, you have characters like Candyman and Hannibal Lecter who have their psychoses born more or less born out of one bad day. You have characters like the cannibal hillbillies of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes who are more or less born into it. But you also have Michael Myers and Patrick Bates who are just monsters, and there's no discernible rhyme or reason as to why.

You can even see that reflected in real life. You have John Wayne Gacy and Dean Corll, two men who committed shockingly similar acts of mass murder within years of one another. Gacy had a horrifying childhood, emblematic of the sort of upbringing you picture spawning a psychotic. But then you have Corll, who more or less had an idyllic upbringing and an easy middle class life and just took to horrifying acts out of some urge inside of him.

That said, I don't think Joker is the right character to be using for that "one bad day" metaphor. One of the core points of The Killing Joke was that J was an unreliable narrator. It's a story, not the story, and we're never quite sure how much truth is in the story. We aren't sure whether it ever happened or how much of it Joker believes. We aren't sure if he's making up a parable that he thinks will get under the skin of Batman or if he's just spinning a story because it's one of those things that amuses him. His motives and his origins are ultimately inscrutable. If anyone fits the "one bad day" bit, it's Two Face, who went from paragon of justice to twisted madthing as the result of a single vicious attack.

I just think it's better not to quantify it. Settling things on the dice roll removes a bunch of the horror for me personally.
                            Last edited by dxanders; 09-02-2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X