Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call of Cthulhu/Mythos Elements in a Hunter Game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Cthulhu/Mythos Elements in a Hunter Game?

I've never really played Hunter and am doing some research as we speak to host a game to some friends and want to put in a Call of Cthulhu/Mythos feel to it. The book advertises that H.P. Lovecraft is a great way to run these games and want to go with it. However, most of the characters have had something that brought them into the light after seeing something horrific or something that affected them in a way to see the world in a whole new view. Is it still possible to test the Integrity of a Hunter? Would they still be shocked by the H.P. Lovecraft Mythos? Since most Hunters have powers, how can you make them feel powerless to world that they now know?

Originally posted by Yarrumkin View Post
    Is it still possible to test the Integrity of a Hunter?
    If you want to. The core deals with this a bit when it discusses tone near the end I think. I mean, the supernatural is really very varied and a lot of it is pretty horrible. There are also a few supernatural effects which can mess you up regardless, most notably Mage's Quiescence.

Would they still be shocked by the H.P. Lovecraft Mythos?
    Depends what you want to throw at them. I mean, there's Lovecraftian Horror as in the cosmicism and the horror of the unknowable; but then there's the monsters he invented. Despite the use of classic monsters, the CoD has a lot of the former.

Since most Hunters have powers, how can you make them feel powerless to world that they now know?
    There's two different parts to this. The first is that most Hunters don't have powers, just those in conspiracies. The second is that they often aren't all that great compared to what the Supernatural creatures can throw at you. A further issue is that a lot of Hunters don't necessarily know what they're doing; there's no manual and even the information the various hunter groups have is open to wildly different interpretation.

Comment

So would you say that making a Hunter game based on the Cthulhu mythos would be a good idea? This game is going to be centered on the premise of dealing with the cults of certain Cthulhu mythos Elder Gods. And most of my players if not all are used to playing the fantasy aspect of roleplaying games like Pathfinder.

Comment

So would you say that making a Hunter game based on the Cthulhu mythos would be a good idea? This game is going to be centered on the premise of dealing with the cults of certain Cthulhu mythos Elder Gods. And most of my players if not all are used to playing the fantasy aspect of roleplaying games like Pathfinder.
        Do you have Second Sight? There's a section near the end on the Cult of Things That Should Bot Be...

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
        I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Whenever I think about TFV's Project FORT it tends to involve Lovecraftian cosmic horror. They're wading out into an ocean of extradimensional realms and they're just starting to feel the bottom slip out from under them.

Comment

I did a conversion of Delta Green to Hunter: the Vigil.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/hunter-the-vigil/10139-compact-delta-green-the-organization

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Yes, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Integrity is definitely still an issue for hunters, and it's pretty well baked into the setting. The whole "dread powers" template for monsters is designed to make sure that players never know exactly what to expect from any given monsters they encounter, and the potency rules added in Mortal Remains only magnifies that terror. Hunters who have been cutting their teeth on run of the mill vampires and werewolves simply are going to be out of their league when confronted with a potency 6+ creature, and their effectiveness is capped out, meaning that they're never going to be able to face something like that head on.

And you can effectively scale any of the tiers to match Lovecraftian horror. At tier one, they're basically everyday schmoes trying to scrape together whatever weapons and resources they can find while still maintaining a day job. Tier two gives them added resources of a support network, but that could be used to ramp up the horror. The more you know, the more you have to be afraid of, and few compacts are going to be ably equipped to handle a creature from the great beyond. You don't start to see supernatural powers until tier three, but even those are pretty low impact compared to the regular things that go bump in the night, much less the sort of limitless power possessed by the Old Gods. Add in the fact that the conspiracies have pretty nefarious shades in their own right, and you have plenty of potential for horror -- going into battle loaded for bear only to discover pointing your phantasm gun at one of these things is like tossing toothpicks at a lion, and further knowing that the bureaucracy, greed, and/or incompetence of your organization is ill prepared to handle the storm to come.

I'd think if there's anything you should be worried about, it's less the mechanics of HtV and more the whiplash your players will deal with from being used to a high fantasy game with more of a steady power growth rate.
              Last edited by dxanders; 09-13-2016, 01:48 AM.

Comment

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but I think it's worth repeating; thanks to my apophenia, I am not subject to this mercy:
                Originally posted by H.P.Lovecraft
                The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
                As a result, when I think about how Marvel's Hydra was born out of the Third Reich, and have an interest in arcane relics, and then I see how much this:

Resembles this:

And this:

I can't help but draw connections that lead me to think about the Loyalists of CThule.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Delta Green has a baddie group called the Karotechia who were the Third Reich's sorcerers and occult scholars, and I constantly forget that the Loyalists of Thule aren't made up of repentant Karotechia members and descendants.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

There's also material you can mine from Mummy:the Curse that easily slots into crazy Lovecraftian happenings.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Yarrumkin
                      Your questions that you asking at the end of of your Original Post are the same questions that are answered here: Link to another Thread
                      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Not really. Vampire and Hunter are pretty different games.

To answer OP's question, I think it'd be a pretty perfect fit, and I'd advise checking out the ChroD books Second Sight, Wolfsbane, and Intruders for resources you can use to represent mythos monsters, and Delta Green for an outside game that's pretty much exactly Hunters vs. Cthulhu mythos.

Comment

I would say that all things Lovecraftian are a pretty dang good fit for the CoD. One more thing, have you ever Googled the name Old Man Henderson? I think you'll like it!

Comment

Hello Geckopirateship referring to this post:

Is it still possible to test the Integrity of a Hunter? Would they still be shocked by the H.P. Lovecraft Mythos? Since most Hunters have powers, how can you make them feel powerless to world that they now know?
                            Matches:

Is it still possible to test the Integrity of a Vampire? Would they still be shocked by the H.P. Lovecraft Mythos? Since most Vampires have powers, how can you make them feel powerless to world that they already know?
                            With the implied fundamental idea that increased exposure to the supernatural would make the mythos less mysterious and horrifying, my post was directly drawing that correlation so the information could flow between the threads.I also agree Vampire and Hunter are different games but the questions whose root is wondering if the premise of exposure to specific types of supernatural phenomenon reduces cosmic horror is correct, covers both. I am in the "cosmic horror is big enough to frighten even those bored by the 'normal' supernatural" camp.
                            Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 09-29-2016, 04:16 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                            "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Working...
                            X