Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slashers in 2E.

Hello everyone

I've only recently managed to get my hands on a copy of Slasher, and am dying to introduce them to the game I already have running. My only question is, I am running a 2E game, but I want to use the Brute/Mask undertaking. Out of all of the undertakings, this is really the only one that has issues in 2E. For a Brute, they stay up until there health boxes are filled with lethal, okay, but everything does lethal now so.. For Masks, only takes one point of damage from most sources, still not too bad, but still not a huge benefit in my opinion. With a group of 3, if everyone hits with their weapon, combat can be over in just over 3 turns. I feel like combat with a Mask should last longer. Thinking of the Friday the 13th series, or Halloween. They can take a ridiculous amount of punishment and keep going. Now I realize that most people would be freaked out by seeing someone who takes 3 bullets and keeps walking, but these aren't really ordinary people, they've already seen the things that go bump in the night. They've even bumped back and have won from time to time.

So, I guess what I'm asking is how you would use a Brute/Mask in your 2E games? First thing that comes to mind is keeping the original talents while adding one that reduces damage by 1 level (i e. Lethal -> bashing). Thoughts?

I've come across the same issue in the past. My players tend towards the fairly beefy combat builds, especially in hunter. What I did, which might be too strong for your liking, was to give my Brute/Mask the ability to automatically heal the right most health box every turn. Made it incredibly hard to kill the Slasher and the players had to back off to find alternate weapons as they emptied their ammunition into it for little effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Krzyzstof View Post
      So, I guess what I'm asking is how you would use a Brute/Mask in your 2E games? First thing that comes to mind is keeping the original talents while adding one that reduces damage by 1 level (i e. Lethal -> bashing). Thoughts?
      So have it wear armor?

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
        So have it wear armor?

Could do that, but that incurs a what, -3 dice penalty on average? If they are limited to doing one damage at a time anyways, doesn't seem like much of a benefit. Plus, unless it is some sort of metal monster (like the one from the book), it's just more terrifying to see something get shot, bleed, but keep coming (in my opinion).

Also, the slasher is going to be an NPC that the characters know. They will slowly see him turn into a Brute, which he will mostly be directed at the common enemy, but there is a trigger point where he turns into a Mask, blames the characters for what has happened and goes after them. So he will only have whatever gear he currently has to use once he has turned. Considering it is a T1 game, that isn't much. Also note it is in a small town that has been walled off by some organization, and have been testing various chemicles on the populace. There are no gun shops, no where to buy ammo, etc. Almost everything is improvised other than the few firearms they have managed to find from dead cops (all have opted out of wearing the bodily fluid covered Kevlar vests in case whatever they were exposed to is contagious still).

Comment

Ah, in that case, maybe the Iron Skin merit from ChroD. It seems like it'd do exactly what you're after. Just ignore the prerequisites.

Comment

One option for the Mask might be that they can only take 1 point of damage per turn, no matter how many times they're attacked.

2E Legacy Updates
            Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
            Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
            Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Gullinbursti View Post
              Ah, in that case, maybe the Iron Skin merit from ChroD. It seems like it'd do exactly what you're after. Just ignore the prerequisites.
              Yup, this seems perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                One option for the Mask might be that they can only take 1 point of damage per turn, no matter how many times they're attacked.

Hm. I personally wouldn't go for that if you're trying to take the horror movie direction. It strikes me that a bunch of victims teaming up to beat down on the big monster should be the most effective way to deal with them.

I think there are a few approaches to this. One is, as said above, to heal one point of damage per turn. Another would be to give him a sort of supernatural armor wall for each turn that needs to be overcome. So each turn, the characters have to inflict, for instance, five successes to start doing damage, and any attack after the one that breaks five does a point of damage (sort of similarity to durability rules for attacking objects?). You could also make things easier by simply downgrading the level of damage. Brawl attacks do nothing to him. All regular weapons do bashing, and aggravated weapons do lethal. Finally, you could make it so that he only takes damage from a weak spot that's hard to access (say, he only takes damage from rear attacks), so that one or more cellmates have to bait him while the others wail in on him. There's also the possibility that the players have to inflict some sort of condition on him before he can take damage?

Iron skin is also a great option. There's a really scary endowment in Spirit Slayers that might be thematically appropriate. It's called Berserker Splice. It gives the character Iron Stamina at three points, and it gives a str +2 boost, and then another 1 str for every point of lethal damage taken.
                Last edited by dxanders; 09-23-2016, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Hmm, Berserker Splice sounds kind of interesting. Also, I do agree that the best method to take down a Mask would be basically to gang beat him, but I felt that it should take more than a couple of people with baseball bats. Will probably end up with something along the lines of downgrading damage (as per Iron Skin) and increased defence (maybe justified by some sort of rage, he no longer cares what happens to his body, and in kind his body no longer hinders him while on the hunt).

A quick side note, what strength do you think would be required to rip a street sign from the ground and use it as a weapon vis a vis the second Matrix movie (would be at least one turn/impact with the concrete, then turns it around to use the sign). What sort of stats would that have? Special would be that it can do both lethal and blunt (blunt from the flat-side of the sign, but causes knockdown).

Comment

Working...
                  X