Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get my PC's to investigate their pasts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get my PC's to investigate their pasts?

So here's the plot so far: We have three young ladies, age 10, staying at a group home/foster care institution. Each has ended up in that situation due to the influence of the supernatural, although each is unaware of that at the moment (all they know is some sort of "mysterious circumstances" happened to their parents). Each also has some tenuous connection to a certain particular symbol that has come up in their past (which should eventually lead them to a mage which will move the story on).

Now, what I want my PC's to do is for them to start investigating their own pasts. And it's looking like they're probably going to need a kick in the pants to do that. So what I could use is some advice on providing said kick.

Use more and more often this 'mysterious symbol' - when they see it start to 'stalk them', they will dwell in to it and their past by it.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by WarKitty View Post
      Now, what I want my PC's to do is for them to start investigating their own pasts. And it's looking like they're probably going to need a kick in the pants to do that. So what I could use is some advice on providing said kick.
      Strange dreams that seem more like memories. Being approached by strangers or supernatural figures that mention they look exactly like their parent, or something else from long ago. 'Impossible! You-you're dead!' Perhaps trying to kill them. A lawyer approaching them about something to do with their parents will, or an object that leads them back towards the mystery. Journals and books are good. Someone who claims to be a family friend insisting fervently, 'They don't want me to tell you, but you have to know the truth!' They could also be the source of the object or book.

If you need a mechanical advantage, you can just give them the Obsessed Condition, or something similar. They're so distracted by strange memories and thoughts that they can't think of anything but finding out what really happened.

A rather obvious piece of leverage can simply be making other options boring or dead ends.

Comment

I ran a hunter game where each PC was adopted at infancy. I let each player write their own character bio and history without knowing any different. During play, they would learn different.

Shortly after becoming an adult, they receive a letter telling them they should attend a will reading at a certain address and time.

The will was a tape recorded speech. In this speech, a new mysterious benefactor explained to each PC by name who their birth parents were, along with the mysterious nature of their parent's death. Disappearances, building fires, no body recovered, etc.

Toward the tail of the speech, it was explained that each of these birth parents were members of a secretive group that investigated cases of the paranormal and supernatural. If anyone cared to hear more, there is a package waiting for you at P.O. Box 1, combination X, Y, Z....

This did the trick for getting the players into investigating their heritage, as well as tracking down the cause(s) for their parents' deaths. And thus the path began.

Comment

Working...
        X