Brainstorming a Conspiracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming a Conspiracy

While reading through the threads about the upcoming Deviant: the Renegades, I was struck with the idea of a Hunter Conspiracy that could target Deviants.

The basic skeleton is that the Conspiracy is a group of mercenaries that target supernatural creatures on a for - hire basis. Typically, they are employed by third parties to capture supernaturals (especially runaway deviants), but can expand operations into elimination, capture or negotiation with other types of creatures if the price is right.

I see them as having a live fast, die young attitude - they make alot of money but the nature of their work tends to have a significant mortality rate.

Their "Endowment" would be a collection of combat drugs that temporarily enhance performance, but are frequently addictive (along with other side effects).

However, I am getting stuck for more details beyond this basic idea, so I putting this out to the forum to see if any has any ideas for fleshing out this concept.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Their Endowment sounds a lot like a spin on Elixirs, so I would definitely suggest checking out that system and tweaking it as you need.

Comment

If you want them to be a conspiracy, you should first think what is the strong foundation which holds the organization. After all, if their members change o frequently because of the high mortality rate, what is the constant core which supply them with rewards and resources while taking contracts from other companies? Sure, the money comes from the deals with the third party groups, but who makes the contracts to get the money?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

RE: Organization Foundation.
        The thought that comes to mind is some type of Private Security Corporation. I see the roots being formed from a group of profit-minded combat veterans who went into private security/mercenary work after Vietnam because the money was good and civilian life was simply too boring. Encountering the supernatural and realizing there was money to be made came sometime after the company was established. Sort of the unholy lovechild of Ashwood Abbey and Taskforce Valkyrie.

RE: Endowment.

I have a write up of combat drugs that are sort of a blend of Advanced Armory and Elixirs. I will probably need to adjust the mechanics to behave more like a typical Endowment. I am posting them in the spoiler below. Any feedback is welcome.

Defiance
        Victrasone (also known as “Defiance”) is an experimental drug that was created to aid captured soldiers in resisting interrogation and was developed by a privately owned pharmaceuticals company called Metis Laboratories. A dose of the drug comes in the form of 2 innocuous white tablets taken orally. A single prescription contains 20 tablets.
        Size: n/a Durability: Availability: 2
        Powers
        Defiance: When taken, Defiance grants its user a +1 equipment bonus to resist Social Maneuvering used against them. In addition, the user gains one additional Door against Social Maneuvering. This effect lasts for until the end of the scene. The user suffers an overdose if they take more doses of the drug than their Stamina in a 24 hour period.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: Using Defiance causes severe headaches; once the effect has worn off the user to gains the Sick (Moderate) tilt for 24 hours. Additional doses relieve this penalty, but increase the risk of overdose.
        Overdose: Increase the granted equipment bonus to +2 and gain one additional against Social Maneuvering, but gains the Poisoned (Moderate) tilt. Outside of combat an overdose of Defiance has Toxicity 3.

Salt
        Alkasaline 6 (also known as “Salt”) is a drug developed as a mild painkiller, but had the unusual side effect of making its users body fluids take on a strong, unpleasantly bitter taste. It has since become useful as an insect repellant and by those who risk being bitten by animals in their line of work. A single prescription contains 20 tablets.
        Size: n/a Durability: Availability: 2
        Powers
        Bitter: When taken, Salt alters the users body chemistry, making their body fluids and tissue take on a nauseatingly bitter flavor. Anything that tastes the users must make a successful Composure roll or suffer the Sick (Moderate) Tilt until the end of the scene. In addition, the user reduces any penalties caused by pain by 1.The effect of Salt lasts for 8 hours.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: Salt causes the user to sweat excessively and produce a strangely chemical body odor. Anything attempting to detect or track the user by scent gains a +1 bonus.
        Overdose: None; excess amounts of Salt are excreted harmlessly from the body.

Clarity ●●
        Developed by Metis Laboratories, Notrypnol (also known as “Clarity”) is a medication designed for treating several psychiatric conditions, including PTSD and Schizophrenia. A dose of the drug comes in the form of 2 blue and white capsules taken orally. A single prescription contains 20 tablets.
        Size: n/a Durability: 1 Availability: 3
        Powers
        Suppress Mental Condition: When taken, Notrypnol allows to user to spend one point of Willpower to suppress the effect of a mental-based condition (such as Fugue or Madness) for a scene. When used against a mental Condition inflicted by a supernatural source, the user is allowed a Clash of Wills using their Composure to suppress the Condition. A dose of Notrypnol lasts for roughly 24 hours.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: Notrypnol doesn’t work for everyone and its effects can be inconsistent. The user rolls a chance die each time they take the drug. On a dramatic failure the user gains the Drugged tilt instead of the Notrypnol’s normal effect. In addition, the drug is addictive and the user gains the Deprived condition if they go longer than 24 hours without a dose.
        Overdose: None; excess amounts of Clarity are excreted harmlessly from the body.

Camazotz ●●
        Developed by the Mexico based Balam Medical Research Corporation, Camazotz (also known as Nyctonol) is a drug that increases the user’s senses, most notably their vision in low light conditions. The drug is a clear fluid with a violet tint that is administered via injection. A single prescription contains 10 doses.
        Size: n/a Durability: 1 Availability: 3
        Powers
        Heightened Senses: When taken, Nyctonol sharpens the user’s senses, granting them a +2 equipment bonus to Perception rolls. In addition, users do not suffer penalties for acting blind. This effect lasts for 1 scene. The user suffers an overdose if they take more doses of the drug than their Stamina in a 24 hour period.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: The user becomes extremely photosensitive, and gains the Sick (moderate) tilt when exposed to sunlight or intense artificial light.
        Overdose: The equipment bonus to the users senses increases to +3, but the user’s photosensitivity becomes more severe, gaining the Poisoned (moderate) tilt when exposed to sunlight or intense artificial light. This is in addition to any other side effects.

Hydra Serum ●●●
        The compound known as Hydraxaline Omega (or Hydra Serum) was developed by the Balam Medical Research Corporation and is a chemical agent that radically boosts a user’s cellular regeneration, allow them to recover from injury in miraculously short periods of time. The drug is a milky white fluid that is administered via injection. A single prescription contains 1 dose.
        Size: n/a Durability: 1 Availability: 4
        Powers
        Accelerated Healing: When taken, Hydra Serum immediately heals 2 points of bashing damage and 1 point of lethal damage (if any). Over the course of the next 24 hours, the user halves all healing times. The user suffers an overdose if they take more doses of the drug than their Stamina in a 24 hour period.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: The user’s metabolism skyrockets after using the drug, making them ravenously hungry and thirsty. The user gains the Deprived condition until they can sate their appetite. Consuming a large meal (approximately 2000 calories per dot of the user’s stamina) resolves the condition.
        Overdose: The user begins to recover damage at an astounding rate; 1 bashing/turn and 1Lethal/15 minutes. This heightened effect wears off as soon as the user is completely healed. However, the user becomes immune to the effects of Hydra /serum and develops a degenerative illness that deals 1point of lethal damage every 24 hours (Resisted by Stamina +Resolve with a -3 penalty) as they begin to suffer from lesions and internal bleeding. Extended medical care can cure this illness (typically requiring 15 successes with one roll each day).

Red Rush ●●●
        Ampheterex (also known as Red Rush) is an amphetamine compound that affects the user’s neurochemistry, triggering a boost in the user’s energy level and reflexes. This drug was developed as a dietary supplement by Metis Laboratories, but has since been marketing for its performance enhancing capabilities. A dose of the drug comes in the form of 2 red capsules taken orally. A single prescription contains 10 tablets.
        Size: n/a Durability: 1 Availability: 4
        Powers
        Enhanced Reflexes: When taken, Red Rush augments the user’s reaction time, granting them a +2 equipment bonus to Initiative. While under the influence of Red Rush, the user may spend a point of Willpower to pre-empt another character’s action in combat. This takes the place of a normal action. If other characters are capable of pre-empting actions, it becomes a
        Clash of Wills using the users Composure. In addition, Red Rush suppresses any Conditions related to fatigue or exhaustion. This effect lasts for 1 scene. The user suffers an overdose if they take more doses of the drug than their Stamina in a 24 hour period.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: Red Rush is extremely addictive. The user gains the Deprived condition if they go longer than 24 hours without a dose. This may lead to long term addiction. In addition, Red Rush is an appetite suppressant. For 8 hours after each dose, the user gains the Sick (Moderate) attempt when they ingest any type of solid food.
        Overdose: The user gains a +1 bonus to Defense in addition to other bonuses and immediately gains the Reckless Condition.

Psych ●●●
        Psioxanine 6 (also known as “Psych”) is a cutting edge nootropic drug developed by Metis Laboratories. The chemical increases cognitive function across the board for brief periods of time. A dose of the drug comes in the form of 2 green capsules taken orally. A single prescription contains 10 tablets.
        Size: n/a Durability: 1 Availability: 5
        Powers
        Cognitive Boost: When taken, the user gains a +1 bonus to Intelligence and Wits. In addition, the user uses the higher of their Intelligence or Wits (instead of Dexterity) when calculating their Initiative. This effect lasts for until the end of the scene. The user suffers an overdose if they take more doses of the drug than their Stamina in a 24 hour period.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: Psioxanine 6 is extremely addictive. The user gains the Deprived condition if they go longer than 24 hours without a dose. This may lead to long term addiction. In addition, the drug causes fatigue and increases sensitivity to pain. Increase any penalty from pain or fatigue by 1.
        Overdose: The user suffers an increasing degree of mental instability, suffering a -2 penalty to breaking point rolls while under the influence of Psych. Ona failed breaking point roll the user gains the Insane Tilt. This is in addition to any other side effects.

Balrog ●●●●●
        Beta Adrinocine (also known as “Balrog”) is a combination of steroids, amphetamines and painkillers developed by the Balam Medical Research Corporation. The compound stimulates adrenaline production, increases the metabolic rate and floods the body with a cocktail of performance enhancing hormones. The drug is a red fluid that looks remarkable similar to blood and is administered via injection. A single prescription contains 1 dose.
        Size: n/a Durability: 1 Availability: 5
        Powers
        Physical Augmentation: When taken, the user gains a +2 bonus to Strength. In addition, the user eliminates one point of negative modifier when resisting the effects of fatigue or injury. Lastly, the user gains 1 point of Armor. These effects last until the end of the scene. The user suffers an overdose if they take more doses of the drug than their Stamina in a 24 hour period.
        Drawback
        Side Effects: Beta Adrinocine is extremely addictive. The user gains the Deprived condition if they go longer than 24 hours without a dose. This may lead to long term addiction. In addition, once the effect has worn off, the user suffers 1 point of Lethal damage and gains the Sick (moderate) tilt for 24 hours due to muscle strain, heart palpitations and mild to moderate headaches. Additional doses relieve this penalty, but increase the risk of overdose.
        Overdose: The user gains a +1 bonus to Stamina in addition to other bonus, but immediate gains the Insane tilt and the Poison (grave) tilt as both their mind and body begin to fail. Outside of combat an overdose of Balrog has Toxicity 6. This is in addition to any other side effects.

Comment

I'm honestly a little apprehensive about the idea that these guys have an Ashwood Abbey styleof looking at life. Maybe the Mildly Military trope is more useful?

Comment

Isn't this just Cheiron?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              Isn't this just Cheiron?
              ... not really?

Cheiron = Corporation that hunts monsters and takes them apart to create pharmaceuticals and attach monster grafts onto their employees.
              Thread's Conspiracy = Monster hunters for hire who take experimental drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                ... not really?

Cheiron = Corporation that hunts monsters and takes them apart to create pharmaceuticals and attach monster grafts onto their employees.
                Thread's Conspiracy = Monster hunters for hire who take experimental drugs.
                Most Cheiron hunters are out there bagging monsters for pay and I believe C&C states that they make commission on each one they bring in. The "do the Vigil for profit" thing has been their schtick since always.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Most Cheiron hunters are out there bagging monsters for pay and I believe C&C states that they make commission on each one they bring in. The "do the Vigil for profit" thing has been their schtick since always.
                  *looks at Division Six, Task Force: VALKYRIE, Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit, and Utopia Now*
                  .... I don't think Cheiron are the only hunters who do the "do the Vigil for profit" thing.

Comment

Re: Lifestyle Choices

I reference the Ashwood as a personality type less for the wanton debauchery, and more for the thrill seeking and "live for today" attitude. To these individuals, the high pay, excitement, and adventure of bagging literal monsters is worth the likelihood that sooner or later something is going to get you.

Re: Haven't we been here before?

The books have presented other compacts/conspiracies that operate for profit. For these guys, I liked the idea that they are contractors, the sort of deniable assets that other organization hire when they don't want to get their hands dirty or risk their own personnel. Sort of like CofD Shadowrunners. I see them as being a good Hunter Group for targeting Deviants (based on whats been spoiled so far).

Comment

The difference is that for this group, the supernatural nature of their targets is functionally incidental to their ethos. Indeed, I could see this group engaging on other high cost/risk abductions or murders as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                        Re: Haven't we been here before?

The books have presented other compacts/conspiracies that operate for profit. For these guys, I liked the idea that they are contractors, the sort of deniable assets that other organization hire when they don't want to get their hands dirty or risk their own personnel. Sort of like CofD Shadowrunners. I see them as being a good Hunter Group for targeting Deviants (based on whats been spoiled so far).
                        Cheiron does it for Science, Valkyrie to protect, these guys do it for the fat payout (and because they don't really have other socially acceptable skills?)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                          *looks at Division Six, Task Force: VALKYRIE, Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit, and Utopia Now*
                          .... I don't think Cheiron are the only hunters who do the "do the Vigil for profit" thing.
                          Not exactly. Any hunter that is part of a Conspiracy, or even a well-connected Compact, can draw a paycheck from their organization. While this is in very techical terms "Vigil for profit" it isn't the reason they pursue the Vigil.

Now even in Cheiron's case I think the "for profit" angle can be a little overemphasized. The part where they legitimately use their research into the supernatural to develop new life saving medical technologies often gets overlooked. This is understandable. Pharmaceutical companies don't have a great reputation right now, and leaning into the moral ambiguity is part of what make Conspiracies conspiratorial. Cheiron works best as simultaneously the "For Science!" and "Get Money" Conspiracy.

Comment

If anything, the closest group to this theoretical conspiracy is the Knight of St Adrian, considering that both are mercenaries who capture supernatural beings on the demand of greater agency. The themes of the two groups, however, seem to be quit different.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Working...
                            X