Hedge and the Dream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedge and the Dream

Having skimmed through the open development of the Hedge in Changeling the Dreaming, it appears that the Hedge draws from the dreams of the people in the area. Could it have some connection to the Dream realms accessible by Mages?.

Since we have a while to wait for the Crossover Chronicle book, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on what that connection might be?

I always figured the relationship between the Hedge and the Astral Oneiros was sort of like the relationship between the fallen world and twilight. Things that happen in one can and do affect the other, but only ever subtly unless there are some intelligent beings of power involved. I guess I sort of viewed it as a ring with Fallen <-> Astral Oneiros <-> Hedge <-> Fallen. I'd be interested to know what other people thought.

My ideas are bad and I should feel bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DocSteve2020 View Post
      Having skimmed through the open development of the Hedge in Changeling the Dreaming, it appears that the Hedge draws from the dreams of the people in the area. Could it have some connection to the Dream realms accessible by Mages?.

Since we have a while to wait for the Crossover Chronicle book, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on what that connection might be?
      If the Hedge is related to the Astral then it's the very shallow edge of it. Changelings can't do much more than get their feet wet in the Astral waters. They can't venture past the First Reversal or the realms past that point. Their weirdo powers though do allow them to do some stuff with dreams that would leave a Mage confused despite the ability Mages have to also enter the dreams of the slumbering.

Comment

While just a personal theory and not something official, I think this is interesting enough to link in this thread.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Dreams are all things that Mages can reach using Mind magic. The Hedge and Arcadia beyond have nothing to do with the Astral, and changelings don't have the ability to muck around in the Oneiros, the "Dream Realm" of the Astral-or, as it's been more accurately revealed, the Realm of Individual Human Souls. Changelings don't directly meddle with souls.

Simply put, no, the Hedge and the Oneiros aren't the same thing.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

I like to think that the soul "feeds" the mind with raw material to construct dreams, but do not generate them by itself. That helps me sort between mind and soul in my own headcanon

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              Dreams are all things that Mages can reach using Mind magic. The Hedge and Arcadia beyond have nothing to do with the Astral, and changelings don't have the ability to muck around in the Oneiros, the &quot;Dream Realm&quot; of the Astral-or, as it's been more accurately revealed, the Realm of Individual Human Souls. Changelings don't directly meddle with souls.

Simply put, no, the Hedge and the Oneiros aren't the same thing.
              This, but also Dreams amd the Oneiros DO intersect. A Dream is a an expression of the soul, and so the Dream is a sliver of the soul/Oneiros. But while mages and other dreamers are swimming in a stream that eventually flows into the larger Astral Realms, a changeling is wading ankle deep in the stream. They can't swim out to sea/the Astral but the fish in the stream (usually) can't step up onto the bank/into the Hedge either- even if the water from their dreams waters the grass on the bank and makes it grow.

Comment

Whoops. Double post
                Last edited by LLegume; 11-27-2016, 09:18 PM. Reason: Double post...

Comment

It's more that you can see someone's thoughts when you're in their Oneiros, which when they're asleep means you can see their dreams. I describe it in a forthcoming Beast book as like seeing sunlight from underwater.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

So the Astral Barrier forms the water's surface? I like this imagery. I like it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X