X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ganonso
    • Feb 2014

[Homebrew] Silent Hill Mystery

So I ran a one shot based on Silent Hill and used that.

Silent Hill’s Mystery
    The town of Silent Hill present Irises to an alternate dimension that doesn’t fit in the cosmology ie it’s not the Shadow, the Astral or the Underworld. Some of these Irises are visible to Sleepers (fortunately they open only at auspicious times), others to being with Unseen Senses, and others to Mages with Mind or Space Mage Sight. Yes that means that Mastigoï makes one third of Silent Hill’s Awakened because so many are attracted to the Mystery.

Irises leads the traveler to a copy of the town with two visible characteristics: It’s covered in thick white mist nearly blinding the traveler. And the distances seem warped: Places are closer than they should be. That last trait makes the City of Mists a practical but dangerous means of fast-travel from a point to another.

Exiting the City of Mists is rather easy in theory. An Adept of Space can open a portal to return to reality and Irises leading to the material plane are plentiful. In general though the Iris you used to enter closes behind you.

The Mist is a series of highly occulted Mysteries but some secrets can be gleaned in scrutinizing it by Mage Sight:

1 The Mist is animated if not alive.

2 The Mist probes the mind of those who travel in it. It’s an effect that can be resisted with Mind Shield or Attainments that replicate it. Mages feel the probing.

3 The less Integrity (or equivalent) you have, the more difficult it is to resist the probing and the more chances the Mist take an interest in you.

4 Following some poorly understood conditions, (but very often linked to regrets, Derangements, or crimes), the Mist select a traveler or a group of travelers for an Ordeal, a potentially fatal journey of self-discovery

5 During an Ordeal, parts of the victim’s soulscape are incorporated to the city’s topography. If they die during their judgment these sceneries will remain, offering a grim reminder of whatever passion play occurred. That makes the City of Mists deeply incoherent to thorough explorers.

6 Sometimes if people die during the Ordeal they linger here without joining the Underworld. Sometimes they’re changed in monsters to try others. Most of the time nobody has an idea of what happens to their souls.

Thoughts? I have more on the Ordeal itself but I have not used it yet. Other versions of what Silent Hill could be like in a Nmage setting?

• Deionscribe
    • Oct 2015

This looks really interesting x3

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Falcon777
      • Sep 2015

Having no knowledge of Silent Hill, I find the mystery intriguing. I presume Silent Hill is a small town? If so, then it would likely have an abnormally large number of mages in it given it has a mystery similar in scope (or at least I think it is) to the ones presented in the core book.

Overall? I'd play in that Mage game. Granted I'm biased since I find Mastagos mysteries interesting, but yeah.

Comment

A cool idea for an Emanation Realm from Pandemonium?

Comment

• ganonso
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
          Having no knowledge of Silent Hill, I find the mystery intriguing. I presume Silent Hill is a small town? If so, then it would likely have an abnormally large number of mages in it given it has a mystery similar in scope (or at least I think it is) to the ones presented in the core book.

Overall? I'd play in that Mage game. Granted I'm biased since I find Mastagos mysteries interesting, but yeah.
          Yes Silent Hill has an Awakened population well above what a small town should have because of the Mystery. it happens sometimes. The largest Consilium in England is by instance in the South East because Merlin, it's pointedly not London.

Comment

• Juhn
            • Jan 2014

From what I remember Silent Hill as a place (at least in Silent Hill 2, widely regarded as The Best Silent Hill Game) exists to force people to face and come to terms with things they deny about themselves, especially relating to parts of themselves they're ashamed of or horrible things they've done.

I feel like Silent Hill would work really well as a Verge leading to a Pandemonic Emanation Realm of Guilt/Shame.

Comment

• WHW
              • Nov 2015

I've shown this to my friend and they got inspired even though they didn't play any Silent Hill games. This is a sign that write up is good, clear and understands what it wants to do. Kudos.

Comment

• EvilSqueegee
                • Dec 2016

This is very inspirational. Thank you for sharing it!

Storytelling is the art of pretending you totally meant for that to happen just now.

Comment

• Pale_Crusader
                  • Jun 2014

Bound to the Town from this linked post is a version I updated from the the Silent Hill fanbook. Linking it to a mystery cult seemed perfect. Like how you frame it in Mage terms.
                  Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 05-31-2017, 03:10 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                  "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Working...