Wards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wards

So long-lasting Wards seem pretty effective now.

+5 dice for an indefinite Ward with advanced potency seems pretty good to me at first glance:

A beginning Mastigos could have Space 3 + Gnosis 1 + 5 = 9 dice

A Master of Space with Gnosis 5 would have 10 dice.

So there's definitely a bias toward defense.

Anyone have any experience with using Wards in 2e they'd like to share?

Not Ward, but in our first sessions the characters were covered by Wards and Signs, and for their current trip are under a week-long Soul Armor spell.

Comment

Truth be told, thanks to the new sympathy rules, Wards come up remarkably little. Getting access to something with sufficient sympathy to borrow from, combined with that any non-direct-damage spell faces some form of Withstanding usually, and the result is that sympathetic magic on other Awakened is rare.

Wards are more of a situational thing. You use them when you're afraid they'll be necessary or need to hide a specific action.

That said, Shielding spells are becoming increasingly popular. I've got a Thyrsus who is using the Numinous Shield option pretty often.

Comment

Wards are the spell of choice for protecting against all Space effects though, not just Sympathetic ones.

Comment

I just like that in the new rules there isn't an ever escalating trail of bonuses to keep track of.

Here's a question though: If you cast a Ward at Gnosis 1 and then raise your Gnosis, does your Clash pool go up, or is it fixed at the Gnosis you were when you cast the spell?

I have a follow up question about spell control: If you have Sanctum 1 and cast a Ward on your sanctum @ Gnosis 1 and then leave the Sanctum. Do you still have 2 spells under your control, or does the Sanctum merit take care of one of them so that you aren't over your spell control when out of the Sanctum?

It would be cool if each Mage in my game could use their Sanctum 1 merit spell control slot to buff the Sanctum in some way and not have to worry about it affecting their spell control.
          Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 12-08-2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

You've probably relinquished the spell at that point so it would stay the same.

I have a follow up question about spell control: If you have Sanctum 1 and cast a Ward on your sanctum @ Gnosis 1 and then leave the Sanctum. Do you still have 2 spells under your control, or does the Sanctum merit take care of one of them so that you aren't over your spell control when out of the Sanctum?
            That seems to be what the Sanctum Merit does. 'Add her Merit dots to her Gnosis within the Sanctum for determining spell control. She can leave the Sanctum and retain those benefits on previously cast spells. But if she’s exceeded her Gnosis and adds any additional, controlled spells, the benefit goes away and she must Reach as if she’d cast each of those spells without the benefit.'
            Last edited by nofather; 12-08-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
              Wards are the spell of choice for protecting against all Space effects though, not just Sympathetic ones.
              How often do you encounter a dangerous Space effect, though? They're pretty rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                How often do you encounter a dangerous Space effect, though? They're pretty rare.
                They don't have to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post

All damaging Space spells function by warping space, and so are opposed by Ward. Someone wants to use Ground-Eater, Lying Maps, or similar to boost themselves or hinder someone? Opposed by Ward. Someone wants to sneak/break in or out of an area with Break Boundary? Ward blocks it. They want to use Alter Direction for any of the countless shenanigans it's capable of? Gotta beat that Ward.

Comment

How many other arcana have a single shielding spell to defend against all forms of manipulation and attack by that arcanum? I know Prime has wards and signs, but given Space has the greater utility attainment of Everywhere (allowing for the use of the advanced scale factor via mana), I'd say that an adept of Space is uniquely positioned to defend much larger areas/number of targets from attack compared to an adept of a different arcanum. That's pretty cool.

As to experience using ward in 2e, so far not yet. A Mastigos antagonist got away because the local Adamant Arrow caucus had a dearth of Mastigos, thus they had used Prime instead of Space to try to contain the villian. It didn't work. My character did get a chance to observe the residual portal using focused mage sight, which was cool, especially since no one else in the party could.

Comment

All the arcana have similar shielding effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
                        How many other arcana have a single shielding spell to defend against all forms of manipulation and attack by that arcanum? I know Prime has wards and signs, but given Space has the greater utility attainment of Everywhere (allowing for the use of the advanced scale factor via mana), I'd say that an adept of Space is uniquely positioned to defend much larger areas/number of targets from attack compared to an adept of a different arcanum. That's pretty cool.

As to experience using ward in 2e, so far not yet. A Mastigos antagonist got away because the local Adamant Arrow caucus had a dearth of Mastigos, thus they had used Prime instead of Space to try to contain the villian. It didn't work. My character did get a chance to observe the residual portal using focused mage sight, which was cool, especially since no one else in the party could.
                        Ghost Shield (Death 2) protects the subject from all death spells as well as ghost influences and numina as well as any other death related powers from any supernatural power.
                        Warding Gesture (Fate 2) protects the subject from all fate spells and non awakened fate manipulating effects or powers that take away agency.
                        Mental Shield (Mind 2) protects the subject from goetic influences and numina, mind spells, and non awakened mind affecting powers.
                        Ephemeral Shield (spirit 2) protects the subject from spirits and spirit magic.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                        Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
                          So long-lasting Wards seem pretty effective now.

+5 dice for an indefinite Ward with advanced potency seems pretty good to me at first glance:

A beginning Mastigos could have Space 3 + Gnosis 1 + 5 = 9 dice

A Master of Space with Gnosis 5 would have 10 dice.

So there's definitely a bias toward defense.

Anyone have any experience with using Wards in 2e they'd like to share?

Master of Space could put spell factors into Duration and also get +5.

Comment

But that would be somewhat spell dependent I would think.

Comment

Not really? You check what is the Duration of the clashing spells, give dice bonuses based on that, and that's all.
                              Though it makes offensive casters have to split their dicepool between Duration and Potency.

Comment

Working...
                              X