No announcement yet.

Wards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. That, and the fact that it doesn't make sense to cast a year long teleport spell.

Comment

That doesn't stop a Mage from adding more duration to boost a potential Clash of Wills and then just cancelling the spell after the first teleportation.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

If you expect it to be Clash of Willed, you put it into Duration. Duration basically has two functions: to make spell last longer, and to make it harder to contest. If you are expecting non-Withstand based defenses, you boost the Duration to fight it. Which leaves you with smaller Potency.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
          Yes. That, and the fact that it doesn't make sense to cast a year long teleport spell.

A spell that normally would not have a Duration -- such as a healing, damaging, or teleporting spell -- can be given a Duration and become a repeating effect. The effect will repeat itself once per instance of the caster's Ritual Casting Time as per their Gnosis, until the duration runs out.

For instance, a Gnosis 1 mage can give Knit a Duration of 1 day, and it would heal the subject of the spell for it's Potency once every 3 hours.

Due to this mechanic, even "instant effect" spells can have Durations, which gives them bonus dice during a Clash of Wills. This is important, you can theoretically boost a spell's duration factor on the Advanced Duration chart in order to make it more difficult to counterspell, then end it reflexively once it does the thing you wanted it to do once.

As best I can tell, this would even apply to attempts made to counterspell you while you’re casting it. You can also blow WP on the Clash roll, and spend a Reach for Advanced Potency which grants +1 to the Clash.

It’s a nice way of helping stack the odds toward the better Mage in a clash of wills, IMO -- something I am glad to have recently discovered given how hit-and-miss Clash of Wills can be without these boosts.

Storytelling is the art of pretending you totally meant for that to happen just now.

Comment

All spells have Duration. It's just that usually you just set it at starting value and don't touch it, unless you either want it to be longer, or you want it to penetrate a Clash of Will. Again, this makes Magical Arms Race trickier. It's relatively easy to pump your Withstand skyhigh, but it won't save you from a good Praxis; it's harder to make a spell that protects you via Clash of Will (they are usually limited to a set number of phenomena, like "mind control" or "spirit attacks"), but if a spell falls under category protected by CoWable spell, it *will* be CoWed. Even if you had 100000 Potency, it might fail due to CoW.

This basically means that a good mage will have general Withstand Defence always active, and will switch their CoW defense based on predicted threats. They work superb together, as Withstand Based defence forces your enemy to either pierce it with Potency or rely on Exceptional Success, and CoW punishes you hard for leaving Duration at 1. This means splitting factors between Potency and Duration, and thus makes both of them much less effective. This makes punching other mages with direct magic really, really hard, and basically each cabal should share their defensive spells; it costs almost nothing to do so.

Comment

I'm weirdly entertained by the idea that a Mage will cause himself to be unable to move from a spot for a year because he keeps teleporting back every time he wanders off.

I mean, he could cancel it, but that's less funny.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
              An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
              Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Gnosis Ritual Interval, at most he'd be teleported back once a minute. Also, distance is an illusion, he could theoretically appear anywhere he needs to while sustaining such an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Errol216 View Post
                  I mean, he could cancel it, but that's less funny.
                  I like how you think.

Storytelling is the art of pretending you totally meant for that to happen just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    Gnosis Ritual Interval, at most he'd be teleported back once a minute. Also, distance is an illusion, he could theoretically appear anywhere he needs to while sustaining such an effect.
                    The quote is, "Distance is a Lie."

My favorite part of that quote is that it refers equally well to metaphorical distances, like the emotional distance between two people, or the distance you have to go to learn a new language.

You want horror? Imagine "teleporting" across emotional distances once a minute. For a year.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                    An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                    Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

So it seems that my original premise is flawed: That the system favors defense. It really favors offense, from what I'm hearing.

Wards don't seem very effective.

Comment

CofD in general has always favoured offense. You can tweak that somewhat with houserules but, overall, a determined opponent can triumph over a passive defense.

This is probably for the best, though; if it were otherwise, avenues for both players and STs would be cut off because of fairly absolute "But my Ward!" moments.

Comment

There still can be BUT MY WARD moments. Get your party together once per month in a Demesne, spend all reach you need to make your defensive spells multiperson, and enjoy cabals that are prowling around with Withstand ~8 (Wards and Signs, multiple sources of Withstand probably too) and tons of long duration Clash of Will based defences. Your typical cabal will have 3-4 people; assuming that they are willing to invest one spell into Party Defence Project, you have at least 4 defensive spells running 24/7 on the whole party. At Gnosis 3, you can safely dedicate 2 slots to this, *and* make them combined spells. This will result in around 16 buffs floating around. There is, honestly, no particular reason to not do this and it seems like one of biggest draws towards being a Cabal member - having shielding measures from Arcana outside your own spread.
                          Funniest thing, if one of these 16 spells is Suppress Aura, you won't even look like a Christmas Tree to magic sight.

It isn't a perfect defense, but not a lot of people will be able to cast spells that can contest both ridiculous Withstand and pierce maximized Clash of Will reliably at the same time. In many cases, it will boil down to Clash of Will, and chances are Potency that was left in the spell won't be strong enough to do you that much harm.

Comment

Here is a biggest deal, though: Dispelling Magic is ridiculously easy. As long as you have access to at least one dot of each Arcanum that was used to cast the spell, you pretty much can dispel any spell. How? Get a Praxis in Dispel Magic, accumulate ~10 dice, and just fish for a Exceptional Success. It will allow you to bypass Withstand, so it doesn't matter if it's a novice spell or master spell - it's gone.

Comment

Also a drawback is it provides little-to-no defense against indirect magic. A Mastigos will have a harder time directly affecting your mind, but can still make a mob obsessed with attacking you, or opening a portal above you to a boulder-filled ravine.

I always thought people resorted to indirect damage out of Ascension and held that tendency over to Awakening, but it doesn't seem to ever be brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                                Here is a biggest deal, though: Dispelling Magic is ridiculously easy. As long as you have access to at least one dot of each Arcanum that was used to cast the spell, you pretty much can dispel any spell. How? Get a Praxis in Dispel Magic, accumulate ~10 dice, and just fish for a Exceptional Success. It will allow you to bypass Withstand, so it doesn't matter if it's a novice spell or master spell - it's gone.
                                I am really disappointed in myself for not noticing this...

Comment

Working...
                                X