Examples of magical tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples of magical tools

For inspiration / examples sake, could I see some lists of magical tools that some your characters use / keep on hand? I'm having trouble getting a practical grip on them. Do any Acanthuses (Acathi? Acanthese? Acanthodes? Acanthae? do they follow the plant conventions?) actually carry a glass or silver wand around with them?

Sure, it's one of their Path tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Newes View Post
      For inspiration / examples sake, could I see some lists of magical tools that some your characters use / keep on hand? I'm having trouble getting a practical grip on them. Do any Acanthuses (Acathi? Acanthese? Acanthodes? Acanthae? do they follow the plant conventions?) actually carry a glass or silver wand around with them?
      Acanthi. And yeah - glass rods, silver coins, mirrors, crystal wine glasses, (or maybe chrome flasks for something more portable), stiletto knives... PathTools are literally just coins, cups, mirrors, rods, and weapons made of the appropriate material.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 12-11-2016, 02:00 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Not all path tools might be viable to carry around but most Mages could carry at least some around.
        Coins are quite easy since all paths have materials that can be made into coins.
        Everyone can keep cups at home, but if you want to you could carry canteens made out of leather, steel or wood. Hip flasks are usually stainless steel, but historically they've also been made out of silver and even glass.
        Mirrors are usually made out of glass or sometimes silver, but brass, steel and copper can all be polished and used as mirrors.
        Wands can be made from almost any solid materials and they don't have to be long.
        Weapons are a bit trickier, but not impossible to carry even if you're going to interact with sleeper society. Everyone can carry a knife made out of the right material if their clothes are baggy enough or if they carry a purse/backpack. Otherwise Obrimos and Thyrsus has the better chance of getting away with carrying a small steel pocket knife or a sling respectively.

But I think it's a bit more common to use path tools in the privacy of your home. The Yantra bonus is quite small so you'd only want to use them if you have a free Yantra slot during your ritual casting.

Edit: What does "worked materials" mean for Mastigoi? Can they use any kind of paper currency as a representation for coins?
        Last edited by Tessie; 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

My Moros Adamantine Arrow used the following magical tools:
          A WWII tactical knife (Order tool)
          An ashwood pentacle (Path tool)
          Gloves (Matter tool)
          Bullet used to murder her father (Death tool)

My Mastigos Adamantine Arrow used:
          Brass knuckles (Order tool)
          Wrought Iron Pentacle (Path tool)
          Mirror Shard (Mind magic)
          Zippo lighter (Forces magic)
          Black rope (Space magic)
          Furthermore ... all of his magical tools are things he stole.

My Acanthus used a stained glass Pentacle... look up the icon for the Changeling the Dreaming Art of Wayfare. That's what I used as the image for her magical tool related to her path.

Comment

My Thyrsus Thearch (in training) uses the following regularly:

-A metal Army canteen (Path Tool; Dedicated Tool)
            -Sacred pools (and water in general) (Extended from canteen as a Path Tool)
            -Fossilized shark tooth necklace (Commonly used in divination and Spirit-related spells)
            -Hand-made clay and wood masks (Purpose-made for shapeshifting into specific forms)

Included in this also is the Persona Yantra for Morrigan Leighis; aiding in spells that let them heal, change shape, or command spirits.

And my players in other games...

Moros Mystagogue:

-A gold coin (minted himself; bears the image of a dragon wearing a crown) (Path Tool; Dedicated Tool)
            -Alchemical concoctions (Matter/Life spells related to altering, restoring, or harming the target they're applied to)

Included in this is the Persona Yantra of Midas the King Wyrm; empowering spells related to commanding action, which includes commanding objects.

Obrimos Thearch:

-Mathematical equations (Path Tool; Dedicated Tool)
            -Technological devices (Forces/Mind spells)
            -High Speech (deserves special note for its frequency of use)

No persona for this one, but goes by the Shadow Name of Ash.

---

Worth adding is the magical philosophies behind each.

Morrigan's magical philosophy doesn't articulate or analogize too strongly and operates heavily off of feeling. She often describes the ecstasy of her magic, though, as like water flowing into a vessel, and the vessel constraining it; giving it shape. As such, a lot of yantras are about giving magic the right vessel to flow into; into a target's wounds, into the world itself, or, far more often, into the Thyrsus herself. The yantras act as, or change, the vessel, and thus change the resulting magic.

Midas sees magic as a form of alchemy; internal and external. Mana is the prima materiae, and the arcana are that which give it form; bending and creating reality by transforming the raw, primordial Mana. The arcana themselves are willful, as Mysterium philosophy purports, and bend and reshape the world in accordance with their natures. The gold coin he carries is his own imprinting of his will on the world.

Ash sees the universe in equations; everything the output of narrow, deterministic processes. He does not believe in the Copenhagen Interpretation; he is a sincerely Einsteinean physicist first and foremost. By understanding and unlocking these high equations and using his soul as a kind of Supernal field generator, he can bend reality; rewrite the equations locally. The more he understands, the more potent his understanding becomes.

Ash would've been a libertine if he didn't think they were all a bunch of wankers.

Comment

I had an Obrimos who used a steel pen for a wand. It was easy to carry and not even security guards at the airport gave it a second glance. You could usually get away with holding it in hand without looking out of place. A pen can be made of just about any material.

Comment

I generally allow my players to use Magical Tools that incorporate the appropriate materials in their design, not just tools that are made entirely out of them.

An Acanthus might have an old gnarled staff that has a crystal mounted at it's tip. An Obrimos might have a golden coin. A Mastigos might have a mirror mounted in an ornate iron stand.

Storytelling is the art of pretending you totally meant for that to happen just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                  -Mathematical equations (Path Tool; Dedicated Tool)
                  I wasn't aware that something like that could be a path tool. Is it a home rule?
                  To everyone - I didn't think Arcana tools exited in 2e. Are they mentioned somewhere in the book?
                  Come to think of it, I don't think I specified 2e, so maybe that isn't pertinent to you examples.
                  In any case, thanks to everyone who responded. This was helpful.

Comment

I wasn't aware that something like that could be a path tool.
                    It can't, though a Libertine could probably use it as an Order tool with Techne.

To everyone - I didn't think Arcana tools exited in 2e. Are they mentioned somewhere in the book?
                    Nope. Just Path Tools and Order Tools.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Charlaquin is right; he technically shouldn't have been allowed to use equations as a Path Tool. However, given that he was an Obrimos physicist, there just wasn't going to be any symbol more appropriate than that. It reflected a belief in a structured, ordered universe, which felt fitting for the Path.

In all my games thus far, whether playing or running (almost always the latter), it's generally been allowed that the PCs can use most anything that is symbolically appropriate for a yantra, as long as it accords with their own general magical symbolism. It's something of a residue, though, since every single one of those games started before 2e was released. RAW, a Mage should only be allowed to use magical tools as determined by their Path, Order, or Legacy.

Comment

A mathematical equation would fly as a Legacy Tool, that's the area I find a little confusing, Path Tools are a leftover from 1ed but Techne and Legacy tools are new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Acanthi.
                          No.

"Acanthus" is both singular and plural; the Path names are modern versions of ancient Greek terms, but they've warped over time and don't follow their antecedents linguistic rules. The original Greek was Acanthos (pl Acanthoi). "Acanthi" is just... Wrong.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Mathematical equations might also be usable as a persona tool Yantra if the mage has an appropriate shadow name and the accompanying merit (p.104).

Comment

Instead of coins other symbols of material wealth can be used. I like rings myself.

For mirrors - cell phones with mirror screen protectors would work and cell phones with self-facing cameras might work as well. Or even phones with displays that include micromirrors in the display elements though you will probably have to have this custom made.

Acanthus could use target or .22 pistols as weapons.
                              Mastigos could use guns loaded with certain types of expanding ammo as weapons.
                              Last edited by The Demon Code; 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM. Reason: Added guns

Comment

Working...
                              X