X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newes
    started a topic Examples of magical tools

Examples of magical tools

For inspiration / examples sake, could I see some lists of magical tools that some your characters use / keep on hand? I'm having trouble getting a practical grip on them. Do any Acanthuses (Acathi? Acanthese? Acanthodes? Acanthae? do they follow the plant conventions?) actually carry a glass or silver wand around with them?

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    Actions and placements doesn't matter that much for Tool Yantras.
    But it is an easy way to lend specific symbolism to a tool.

Remember that they should be possible to use during a single turn during which you can perform other reflexive actions and apply your Defense against attacks.
    I don't see the need to interpret it that strictly. There's not much benefit to taking longer other than it being a little easier to think of symbolism.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Actions and placements doesn't matter that much for Tool Yantras. Remember that they should be possible to use during a single turn during which you can perform other reflexive actions and apply your Defense against attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    So, for tools like coins, what do you have to do with them? Stare at then while concentrating? Place them on a focal point of a pentacle or maybe even a leyline crossing?
    If you have two, lay them on the eyes of a corpse for Corpse Mask.

Hold the coin in your mouth for Ghost Gate.

Get someone else to give you a coin as payment for killing someone, for Amorality. (There was a Guardians oblation form 1e that was more or less, a symbolic representation of being given money to betray someone.)

Burying the coin perhaps? Symbolic of hiding or maybe forgetting something.

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    So, for tools like coins, what do you have to do with them? Stare at then while concentrating? Place them on a focal point of a pentacle or maybe even a leyline crossing?
    You would use them in whatever way is symbolically appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HarbingerLeo
    replied
    That is true. Most of my plans got shot down recently, but I plan ahead. I did and somewhat do plan on going out of my way to do character development.

That is, not just having a stock tool that I thought up a character creation. Making it unique as the story goes. Not just the watch, but a watch that I used to as a brass knuckle in a last desperate move against a villain. A watch I bargained with changelings and travel to the Hedge for to find Fae designed clockwork parts. All in character all as the game plays out from the first session to the last.

Leave a comment:

• LadyLens
    replied
    For Forces, Space or Time, a smartphone or even an Apple Watch would do nicely. But it's important to recall that a mage can only have one dedicated tool at any given time, so a dedicated tool is apt to be a Path or Order tool.

Leave a comment:

• HarbingerLeo
    replied
    I look at it as the mage's dedicated tool(s) are something they have to be able to use frequently, or something subtle people expect to see.

For a witch or warlock, Costume art should work. Pretty much anything you could find at a ren fair or costume shop without drawling eyes on the street.
    For alchemist, Have a chunk of metal on a necklace, or carry around some kind of key chain with a exotic (but not lethal) gas or liquid in it.
    For thaumaurges, A actual key should be all you need, and is right on the nose.
    For a shaman, a walking stick should work. So will being eccentric and have a bit of tooth or claw jewelry.

For Death themes, People surely publicly comment on why a priest or nun is going around in a cassock or habit; However, It takes a real jerk or major mental issues make trouble over it.
    For Fate, Carry around some dice. It will be odd, but that's about it.
    For Forces, A service tech isn't going to be herranged for carrying around a multi-meter or flashlight. A simple ID with a magnetic strip might work.
    For Life, A simple cloth woven or charm bracelet might do. A nature or animal themed tattoo might even work.
    For Matter, How often do you have to take a wedding ring, or is anyone going to really question with you fidgeting with it?
    For Mind, A X-Files t-shirt or just a quarts necklace might do wonders.
    For Prime, Almost any ID or uniform of a military or public service should work.
    For Space, Again, a wedding band should work. A key chain on your belt with a picture of someplace or person (even if they have no connection to you) no one should comment on if you don't check it every three seconds.
    For Spirit, A tattoo or bit of jewelry of almost anything should do here too. There is a infinite number of spirits out there.
    For Time, The easiest of all, a wrist watch should work.

Leave a comment:

• LadyLens
    replied
    In one of my variant settings, my main characters (not the main characters, it's a collaborative setting) have for their dedicated tools a misericord, a double-faced hammer (Mjolnir-style), a scimitar, a hunting knife and a jian; it's rather violent world so carrying weapons is perfectly normal. They each use different symbols of wealth: a small gold nugget, a silver coin, a brass passage token, a large garnet, a copper coin. Their wands are mostly rods: garnet, crystal, ash and brass. The Obrimos uses a steel wand. Their mirrors are mostly normal hand mirrors, framed with suitable materials. The exceptions are the Obrimos, whose mirror is a small steel plate, and the Thyrsus, whose mirror is a piece of obsidian. Their cups are a crystal goblet, a brass cup, a garnet goblet, a steel bowl and a wooden cup. If you're wondering why the Moros uses garnet so much, it's because garnet is very, very easy to get in large quantities; it's been used as an abrasive for millennia in the form of garnet sand. Lodestone to separate the garnet, then Shaping to go from sand to solid. That's also how they get glass of sufficient quality for their mirrors, and the Acanthus gets crystal in amounts sufficient to make a goblet and a rod.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Jub-Jub
    replied
    One time I saw a guy have his character use a Burger King crown in a pinch

Leave a comment:

• Lord Jub-Jub
    replied
    Been awhile since I necrod a thread but

Mastigos Guardian:

•the hood of his jacket(which the storyteller counted as a worked material) for use in his veiling spells, through the action of pulling the hood up(order tool)

•A Brass compass(Space Focus)

•An old Iron Kriss Dagger (Path)

My Thrysus Silver ladder

•Wooden staff/walking stick (path)

•His Game Warden badge (which the storyteller associated with hunting, order)

•A handmade stone arrowhead (for his more aggressive acts)

My Obrimos Adamantine Arrow

• Steel Pocket Knife (path)

• A gold medal(a symbol of competition)

• Steel Flip lighter (forces focus)

Leave a comment:

• WHW
    replied
    It's okay to be wrong as long as you are wrong willingly, because it becomes right for your gametable. It's a difference between making an informed choice and ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Brookshaw
    replied
    Badwrongfun is for stupid people and writers who are much more precious about their games. You do what you want.

You'll be wrong, but you'll be doing what you want, and no one will care.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

No.

"Acanthus" is both singular and plural; the Path names are modern versions of ancient Greek terms, but they've warped over time and don't follow their antecedents linguistic rules. The original Greek was Acanthos (pl Acanthoi). "Acanthi" is just... Wrong.
    Am I having badwrongfun if I use the Greek -oi plurals anyway?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X