Does the Nimbus affect the Owner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Nimbus affect the Owner?

Well.. I think the title pretty well explains my question..
    Played some 1st edition mage and the nimbus didn't have nearly as big an impact on the game as in 2nd editon. But I am a little uncertain if the nimbus tilt also affects the owner?

Nobody knows. Nimbus tilt rules are terribly written. Great idea, horrible execution.

Comment

I run with no, in part because it means you'll rarely have players picking negative effects for their nimbus and in part because I think it doesn't make sense that your own magical aura would reflect back on you.

Comment

No.

(characters)

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Yeah, they don't; Nimbus rules state they affect witnesses, which infers preclusion of the actor themselves.

I recommend houseruling Nimbuses, though; they're pretty clunky RAW.

Comment

A mage's nimbus does not affect him, but will still affect friends and allies. Unlike the Vampire and Werewolf "aura" effects, a mage's nimbus is not targeted or particularly discrimination.

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications guys.

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
              Yeah, they don't; Nimbus rules state they affect witnesses, which infers preclusion of the actor themselves.

I recommend houseruling Nimbuses, though; they're pretty clunky RAW.
              After some looking at it, me and my players have also come to this conclusion. We love how the nimbus (and primal urge, the beast, ect..) have become more than just an fluff effect, and something the players could bring forth to showoff their characters supernatural prowess (REALLY love the vampire mechanics).

But we said the same as you: it felt clunky and we also felt it was even more out of the players control compared to the other supernatural beings special nifty-power-trait-thing.

- every time a spell was cast, the effects of the nimbus would trigger
              - if more than one mage was present, it would become a bonus/penalty-chaos
              - dependent on potency, it had a chance of affecting all allies with a negative effect (and a positive)
              - also dependent on potency, it could also grant enemies a bonus (and a penalty)

We thought about adding a personal nimbus effect for casting spells and a flared effect. The first grants a bonus and the second a appropriate penalty based on the bonus.
              It still suffers from some of the points above though, and might also add to much extra power to the mage.

Maybe I should make a different thread about house ruled nimbus effects..

Comment

Remember that nimbus affects only mages that perceive it and it means that they need to have AMS on. When you fight you don't have it on unless you are trying to dispell enemy magic because it gives you a -2 penalty to everything you do that is not a mage sight or related to magic.
                Last edited by Moinen; 12-13-2016, 06:43 AM.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                  Remember that nimbus affects only mages that perceive it and it means that they need to have AMS on.
                  Bar a mage forcing a nimbus flare, or success in a contest of auras.

Comment

HerbertIsBestBert Yea... Forced nimbus is incredibly weak. Having 3 Gnosis and adding WP you have 6 dice so roughly 2 successes on its potency that is withstood by resistance attribute. So if you if you are not facing children and weakest adults it won't work. Forget about mages or other splats. It works well as defence mechanism though, since it adds your resistance attribute.

But actually I like the mechanics. Starting mage can do nothing but there are merits that can change that and all in all its pretty well balanced.

Edit: As to the mayhem that can arise when you have 4 active nimbi with different durations I advice to craft conditions out of them beforehand and write down on cards.
                    Last edited by Moinen; 12-13-2016, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                      Remember that nimbus affects only mages that perceive it and it means that they need to have AMS on. When you fight you don't have it on unless you are trying to dispell enemy magic because it gives you a -2 penalty to everything you do that is not a mage sight or related to magic.
                      Not according to the rules. So its still gona be a bonus/penalty hell with multiple mages.

p. 89
                      "While characters without Mage Sight cannot see the aura, the subtle cues still affect them with the Tilt. This is almost always imperceptible, but some particularly clued-in witnesses may note when something’s awry."

Comment

Heh. What sorcery is this? You are right, but I'm right too.

p89 - paragraph above yours.
                        Deliberate flares like this are visible even in the Fallen
                        World and can therefore affect characters not using Mage Sight,
                        although Sleepers will suffer Quiescence after the Tilt ends.
                        It's contradictory... Well. I think that you are rightier but I don't see any of the mess with nimbi at my table using my wrong interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neros View Post
                          We thought about adding a personal nimbus effect for casting spells and a flared effect. The first grants a bonus and the second a appropriate penalty based on the bonus.
                          It still suffers from some of the points above though, and might also add to much extra power to the mage.

Maybe I should make a different thread about house ruled nimbus effects..
                          Here is as good as anywhere.

These are my house rules. They've come up often enough that they've been interesting.

Everyone's game is different, so they might not work for you, but they might help you.

Comment

Thats somewhat more like it. The dim effect seems a little off to me though. I am not if it is me or if I can put my finger on it:

- The bonus applies against everybody (seems strong)
                            - I don't think the drawback is that special. It does what every other spell does. I know there is the extra things you described, but I imagene these things happening due to the below reason
                            - It kinda seems like something you would use on sleepers since they forget it, but that would be a breaking point for them (I seem to recall witnessing supernatural things is a breaking point, and if so, they would connect that breaking point to the mage).

The Flash of Enlightenment also seems abit powerful with how long it can last. But that might just be me and I can get use to it.
                            But in general, the mechanic works well for a flared nimbus effect. It can be powerful/useful when used right, and the players have control over when to use it.

Comment

A bare-bone snip of my homebrew:
                              • Fractal Nimbus: The Long-Term Nimbus, but described more as a mystery play on its own - a minor reenactment of the mage's own Awakening. Non-Awakened people who go along with the mystery play gain +Gnosis/2 bonus to their rolls, while those who defy it suffer an equal amount of penalty. The mage herself qualifies as having used soft leverage when she initiates Social Maneuvering on them (whether they're trying to resist the Nimbus or not). This still rides along the mage's sympathetic connections - at Falling Wisdom, just being the owner of the diner the mage frequently eats at will throw your life into shenanigans.
                              • Signature Nimbus: Spend 1 Mana reflexively to imprint High Speech, representing the Nimbus. Imprinted people, people holding an imprinted object, or people inside an imprinted area count as being under the Fractal Nimbus regardless of sympathy. Such subjects become available for use as Symbolic-level sympathetic Yantras to target the mage. The benefit the mage gets is that he can use subjects he Signed as persona Yantras worth +1 when casting spells that specifically affect them. The act of Signing the Nimbus triggers Peripheral Mage Sight, but its presence does not. It can still be viewed and studied in Active and Focused Mage Sight.
                              • Mandala Nimbus: The 'aura' power. Visible under any type of Active Mage Sight when the mage is casting a spell, which can be studied further with Focused Mage Sight, but this doesn't cause any Conditions. The mage must consciously flare the Mandala by spending 1 Mana to impose the Condition. The flare triggers Peripheral Mage Sight, and is fully visible even to non-Awakened. The mage rolls Gnosis + a Resistance Attribute, chosen when designing the Condition. The Condition always bestows one positive effect and one negative effect. The positive effect gives a bonus of Gnosis/2 to an Attribute or a Skill, and the negative effect gives the same amount of penalty to another Attribute or Skill. The time required for the Condition to elapse has an inverse relation with the mage's Wisdom. Sleepers are always affected by the Condition, without resistance. Sleepwalkers contest the mage's roll with Resolve + Composure. Mages and other supernaturals who counter with their own auras enter a Clash of Wills, rolling their own dice pools.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                              X