Homebrew Proximi Dynasties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Proximi Dynasties

I was revisiting my ideas for a lineage of Proximi, and I decided to put up this thread to not only share it and ask for critique, but also give a place for people to pitch their own ideas about these magically endowed families. I'll probably be doing some conversions for the Proximi in the Silver Ladder blue book once I've ironed out the Quartermaines.

Fire away

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

The Quartermaines
    While its ley lines and High Speech symbols draw much interest in the Awakened world, London is only home to one of many Mysteries that can be found in the United Kingdom. And the Proximi of the Quartermaine Dynasty help seek out and safeguard these wonders. Academics and scientists with high standing in the Mysterium's ranks, their magic is geared towards the study and manipulation of Supernal energy, though a large number are equally blessed in shaping the substance of the Fallen World. While the majority dwell on the British Isles, some Quartermaine Proximi have established themselves in both continental Europe and North America. These Proximi apply their line's duties into mapping out the ley lines and nodes of their home countries, and defending or redirecting them whenever it is needed,

Nickname: Ethermancers

Appearance: All Quartermaine Proximi can perceive the mundane and Supernal substance of the world. While they appear normal at first glance, they have unusually vibrant eyes which catch light the same way a cat's or dog's might at night. Should he invoke any one of his Blessings, their eyes give off a bright and intense glow.

Parent Path: Obrimos
    Blessings (Forces, Prime, Matter): Forces -- Influence Electricity (o), Influence Fire (o), Control Electricity (oo), Control Fire (oo), Call Lightning (ooo); Matter -- Craftsman's Eye (o), Detect Substance (o), Discern Composition (o), Shaping (oo); Prime -- Dispel Magic (o), Sacred Geometry (o), Supernal Vision (o), Supernal Veil (oo), Wards and Signs (oo), Channel Mana (ooo), Geomancy (ooo), Platonic Form (ooo)

Curse: Just as they are attuned to the flow of mundane and Supernal energies around them, all Quartermaines can sense the Abyss whenever it manifests. While some have come to rely on this sense to warn them of their dangers, they nonetheless suffer gravely when in the presence of Abyssal intruders.

Persistent: A Quartermaine Proximus suffers from the Disoriented Condition when within sensory range of Abyssal phenomena. This includes not only acamoth and gulmoth, but also Abyssal Verges and active Paradox Conditions, among others.

Beat: The Quartermaine is virtually helpless against the Abyss' power. Whenever he would suffer harm from being disoriented by his curse, take a Beat.

Severe: When a Quartermaine's curse worsens, he becomes a beacon for the Abyss. For the next 24 hours, he counts as a Sleeper witness for all Supernal magic performed in his presence, including his own. In addition, anytime his Blessings are canceled out by Paradox, he takes a point of lethal damage. The Proximus may end the effect early if he performs a successful meditation roll in a Hollow or Supernal Verge.

Oblations:

Character Concepts: Architect, leyline surveyor
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-07-2017, 10:17 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Proximi don't suffer Paradox, it just shuts down their power and invokes the Severe version of their Curse. I'm not sure that Curse works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        Proximi don't suffer Paradox, it just shuts down their power and invokes the Severe version of their Curse. I'm not sure that Curse works.
        It's still a rough draft, but how does this sound?

-=-

Severe: Whenever a Quartermaine is struck by the attacks, Influences, or Numina of an Abyssal entity, he suffers an additional point of lethal damage. This damage is resistant, and can only heal naturally. When his Curse worsens, he gains two dice of Paradox risk per Reach. This effect lasts until he either fails a Paradox roll or is not exposed to Abyssal phenomena for a week.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

It feels highly circumstantial to me rather than persistently relevant like the curse of the Sisters in the book.

If I were you I'd focus on figuring out what these guys are first and then worry about the curse instead of doing it backwards.
          Last edited by Mrmdubois; 12-28-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
            It feels highly circumstantial to me rather than persistently relevant like the curse of the Sisters in the book.

If I were you I'd focus on figuring out what these guys are first and then worry about the curse instead of doing it backwards.
            I'm actually going by how PenDragon depicted them when I pitched their concept to him - academics and scientists with high-standing in the Mysterium and magic that lets them manipulate natural and supernatural energy.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

So their curse should probably be relevant to that.

Comment

Perhaps...

Severe: When a Quartermaine's curse worsens he becomes a beacon for the Abyss. For the remainder of the day the Quartermaine counts as a sleeper witness for all Supernal magic, including his own, performed in his presence.

Onyx Path Moderator
                Mod Voice is RED*
                *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                  Perhaps...

Severe: When a Quartermaine's curse worsens he becomes a beacon for the Abyss. For the remainder of the day the Quartermaine counts as a sleeper witness for all Supernal magic, including his own, performed in his presence.
                  That works.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's my shot at one, just written now.

The Unstuck

Nickname: Laggards

Appearance: The Laggards don’t spend much time socializing with other people from outside their bloodline, there are manifold issues which arise from being a good half-second behind everyone else. In terms of physical appearance, Laggards either seem perpetually rushed and out of time, or utterly serene and content with the pace of their life. Many seek occupations (or lack thereof) which accomodate one who lives their life at a... Different pace.

Parent Path: Acanthus

Blessings: Fate – Oaths Fulfilled (•), Serendipity (•), Exceptional Luck (••), Lucky Number (••), Mind – Know Nature (•), One Mind, Two Thoughts (•), Perfect Recall (•), Dream Reaching (••),Incognito Presence (••), Telepathy (••), Augment Mind (•••), Enhance Skill (•••), Time – Divination (•), Green Light/Red Light (•), Choose the Thread (••), Veil of Moments (••), Shifting Sands (•••)

Curse: Laggards are ever so slightly unstuck from Time, their minds receiving information a fraction of a second after it should. This can cause manifold issues with appearing slow on the uptake, missing social cues, and difficulties with hand-eye coordination to name a couple.

Persistent: The Unstuck suffer a -1 on all tests involving time management, this rises to -2 when dealing with split-second decisions. This can also impact on social tests, such as when dealing with people who take issue with those who might take almost a second to laugh at an obvious joke. They also suffers a -4 to initiative.

Beat: The Laggard’s temporal hiccups can cause manifold issues which can put strain on relationships, let alone the harm that can be caused by split second situations of peril. When their “slowness” causes individuals to treat them poorly, or causes them harm take a Beat.

Severe: If a Laggard is forced to focus for an extended period on staying “with it”, fully aware and paying close attention to currently unfolding events, then counterproductively, their temporal dissonance will worsen, forcing them to exist completely out of step with Time. All actions involving interaction with the world suffer a -6 penalty, and their initiative drops to 1. This will persist until they can spend an entire scene in uninterrupted meditation to “reset” their clock. If this is forestalled for a further extended period, the Laggard’s mind will pass completely out of the flow of time effectively placing them in a comatose state, which will persist for 24 hours, at which time they awake with the severe condition resolved.

Oblations: Working with timepieces, relaxing in a serene location where one can lose track of time (public parks are popular).

Character Concept: Habitual slacker, artisan craftsman, therapist, gardener, tenured university professor.
                    Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 12-29-2016, 01:19 AM. Reason: Formatting and so forth

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

academics and scientists with high-standing in the Mysterium and magic that lets them manipulate natural and supernatural energy.

What if their oblation is participation in their own internal academia - they recover mana by preparing research papers and publishing them to internal peer groups.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamfunk View Post
                        What if their oblation is participation in their own internal academia - they recover mana by preparing research papers and publishing them to internal peer groups.
                        That's an interesting idea. Could it be trimmed down, though, to just "participating in academia"? And how about an oblation that's symbolic of their ability to detect and/or manipulate ley lines and nodes?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

This looks fun. I have a Proximus family concept that I was working on making into an Art for PenDragon's homebrew. The core idea for me was to make some a not terribly evil Legemeton based mage art.

The Faustus
                          Don't make deals with demons - it never ends well. It's a simple piece of advice, yet it seems like so few mages follow it. Few know this better than the Proximus family known as Faustus. At some point in their history, their progenitor made an unwise pact with a demon of the lower depths - Mephistopheles himself, if the story is to be believed - for knowledge and lordship over both man and spirit. They received all of that and more in the form of awakening, but upon death they were whisked away to some assumed wretched fate. Their children remain, though, eternally a shadow of both the magic received from the pact and the dark fate of being prey to a demon. Through ages past, they've oscillated between being a lighter shade of diabolist cult and demon hunters similar to the Lucifuge. In modern nights, they are spirit summoners working at the behest of the Silver Ladder.

Nickname: Daemonologists

Appearance: Least Demons crowd about the descendants of Faustus like flies on rotting meat. Whenever a Faustus Proximus indulges their vice, their shadow seems to laugh, a whiff of brimstone fills the air, surfaces become ice cold, or any number of other tells occur that fill the room with a palpable sense of wrongness.

Parent Path: Obrimos
                          Blessings (Spirit, Mind, Prime): Spirit -- Know Spirit (o), Gremlins (o), Gossamer Touch (oo), Command Spirit (oo), Spirit Summons (ooo), Bolster Spirit (ooo); Mind -- Know Mind (o), One Mind, Two Thoughts (o), Psychic Domination (oo), Enhance Skill (ooo); Prime -- Dispel Magic (o), Sacred Geometry (o), Supernal Veil (oo), Wards and Signs (oo), Geomancy (ooo), Ephemeral Enchantment (ooo)

Curse: The progenitor of the Faustus line made an unwise bargain with a great being of the lower depths and now their descendants are doomed to repeat that act in miniature until the day their bloodline ends.

Persistent: Whether their vice is pride, addiction, lust, or anything else, it only takes the merest push to set them into their bad habits. A Faustus Proximus may only ever have a single door barring them from acting on their vice.

Beat: Should a Faustus be pushed into acting on their own vice in a way that is detrimental to their long term goals, take a beat.

Severe: As the Faustus's curse deepens, not only does their sin control them, it also depletes them. For the remainder of the day, whenever a Faustus Proximus acts on their vice, they lose a single willpower.

Oblations: The Faustus perform minor evocation rituals of Airy Spirits to generate mana.

Character Concepts: Obsessive Compulsive Sinner, Prideful Daemon Summoner, Mindful Legemeton Scholar

Yep. This sucker runs contrary to the rules about arcana selection, but I can't really think of a way to do this concept as I envisioned it while following the letter of the rule. So yeah, this is definitely gonna just remain dubiously rules legal.
                          Last edited by Steamfunk; 12-29-2016, 12:20 PM.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamfunk View Post
                            This looks fun. I have a Proximus family concept that I was working on making into an Art for PenDragon's homebrew. The core idea for me was to make some a not terribly evil Legemeton based mage art.
                            Hmm. Given what I read, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be a Mastigos lineage? Other than that, though, my only other issue is that they should have 30 dots' worth of Blessings tied to them. You've got one extra dot.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Hmm. Given what I read, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be a Mastigos lineage? Other than that, though, my only other issue is that they should have 30 dots' worth of Blessings tied to them. You've got one extra dot.

Absolutely on both counts. Their Obrimos distinction is largely the relic of their origin as something for the PenDragon Hacks. The main reason I went for Obrimos though was because I wanted to make a PenDragonBrew art that was heavily drawing on the "Fire and Brimostone, Solomonic Summoning, Evocation in the name of Arch Angels and the Lord God" style summoning.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

Working...
                              X