Homebrew Proximi Dynasties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tsuchimikado
    For 1,000 years, the Tsuchimikado Family has served as lords and stewards to Kyoto. Its members nurture an inherent connection to the spirits, while the Proximi among them have accomplished some of the greatest feats of spirit magic. One of these is their fabled mirror city - a magical construction that is said to lie at the heart of Kyoto's spiritual reflection. In modern nights, the Tsuchimikado are in a conflicted position, as they have blood ties not only to the Gin no Hashigo, but also to the hunter conspiracy known as the Aki Ten.

Appearance: While largely mundane in looks, all Tsuchimikado have a large dragon birthmark somewhere on their bodies. This birthmark is adorned, in turn, with a mixture of High Speech symbols, which vary between individual Proximi.

Nickname: Omnyoji

Parent Path: Thyrsus
    Blessings (Fate, Life, Spirit): Fate -- Interconnections (o), Oaths Fulfilled (o), Quantum Flux (o), Shifting the Odds (oo), Warding Gesture (oo), Grave Misfortune (ooo), Monkey's Paw (ooo), Sworn Oaths (ooo); Life -- Speak with Beasts (o), Web of Life (o); Spirit -- Exorcist's Eye (o), Know Spirit (o), Cap the Well (oo), Channel Essence (oo), Reaching (ooo), Spirit Summons (ooo)

Curse: The Tsuchimikado sticks out like a sore thumb to spirits, who instinctively know that he can assist them with their troubles. While this is a nuisance when it comes to squires and knights, it becomes a real danger when higher-ranking spirits are involved.

Persistent: All spirits treat the Proximus as having the Resonant Condition, and gain a bonus equal to their Rank on all rolls made to track him down.

Beat: The Tsuchimikado are lords between the mortal and spirit worlds, and this comes before any other facet of their lives. If the Proximus is forced to go out of his way to assist or seal a spirit, take a Beat.

Severe: When the Tsuchimikado succumbs to Paradox or neglects to fulfill his duties, he becomes mentally drained. Spirits of Rank 3 or higher may command obedience from the Onmyoji, and make requests of him that must be fulfilled. If he refuses, he does not regain Willpower from sleeping, and loses a Willpower point after a number of days equal to his Resolve. This lasts until the task is accepted, the spirit is made to rescind its command, or a full lunar cycle has passed.

Oblations: Cleaning a shrine, Interacting with spirits, Qigong exercises, Reciting ku-ji

Character Concepts: Hallucinating schizophrenic, natural onmyoji, spirit warden
    As one of the larger Proximi Dynasties, the Tsuchimikado have a number of branches that exhibit different Blessings. All, however, are united by a common affinity for Fate and the spirits, and a shared Curse.

Alternative Blessings:

Fate -- Exceptional Luck (oo), Shifting the Odds (oo)

Life -- Analyze Life (o), Body Control (oo), Heightened Senses (oo)'

Spirit -- Command Spirit (oo), Gossamer Touch (oo), Opener of the Way (oo), Bolster Spirit (ooo), Place of Power (ooo)
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 09-26-2017, 07:40 AM. Reason: Added Oblations and Character Concepts

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Inspired by PenDragon's Tsuchimikado. I'll be returning to this every now and then to fill out the empty sections of the write-up. On a semi-related note, LostLight, this is a tie-in to the Shattered Mirror sidebar for your Aki Ten.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Deionscribe I like it, but that Severe Curse needs work. Perhaps they suffer a Hex of some kind until they get a spirit to "forgive" them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
          Deionscribe I like it, but that Severe Curse needs work. Perhaps they suffer a Hex of some kind until they get a spirit to "forgive" them.
          Well, it's a work-in-progress. But your suggestion actually can work. How about this?

-=-

Severe: If the Tsuchimikado is struck by Paradox or neglects his duties, Fate will see fit to punish him with a Hex. If it is the former, the Hex's Potency is equal to the dots of the canceled Blessing. If it is the latter, the Potency is equal to the Rank of whichever spirit was offended by the Proximus. Multiple Hexes can stack with one another, and their total Potency is reduced at a rate of one per week. If the Tsuchimikado fulfills a service for or makes proper reparations to a spirit, he may subtract its Rank in Potency from a Hex.
          Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            Inspired by PenDragon's Tsuchimikado. I'll be returning to this every now and then to fill out the empty sections of the write-up. On a semi-related note, LostLight, this is a tie-in to the Shattered Mirror sidebar for your Aki Ten.
            It's a fairly different take than my Tsuchimikado, but works well enough. Though it might interest you to know that I altered the Tsuchimikado curse in 2e. They now have an effective Spirit Rank and must show respect and obedience to Spirits (and other Tsuchimikado) who out rank them.

Edit: By core rules it might look like...

Severe: When the Tsuchimikado succumb to Paradox they succumb to the Shadow. Spirits of Rank 3 or higher may command obedience from the Onmyoji, and make requests of them that must be fulfilled. This state lasts until they receive a task from one such spirit, or until the moon completes one full cycle.

I should really finish the 2e doc...
            Last edited by PenDragon; 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM.

Onyx Path Moderator
            Mod Voice is RED*
            *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
            Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
              It's a fairly different take than my Tsuchimikado, but works well enough. Though it might interest you to know that I altered the Tsuchimikado curse in 2e. They now have an effective Spirit Rank and must show respect and obedience to Spirits (and other Tsuchimikado) who out rank them.

Edit: By core rules it might look like...

Severe: When the Tsuchimikado succumb to Paradox they succumb to the Shadow. Spirits of Rank 3 or higher may command obedience from the Onmyoji, and make requests of them that must be fulfilled. This state lasts until they receive a task from one such spirit, or until the moon completes one full cycle.

Thanks x3
              I'll probably go with this take on the Curse, albeit with some tweaks.
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                I mean, no pressure but I'm always super down for more of your homebrew. It's the only way my friends and I can play Mage these days.

Exalted is an aesthetic.

Comment

Tentative update to the persistent and severe versions of the Tsuchimikado Curse, as well as additional info.

Persistent: The Proximus can see, hear, and touch spirits in Twilight, and can be touched by them in turn. Furthermore, all spirits treat him as having the Resonant Condition, and gain a bonus equal to their Rank on all rolls made to track him down.

Severe: When a Tsuchimikado suffers Paradox or refuses a command given to him by a spirit of Rank 3 or above, he begins to grow mentally drained. He does not regain Willpower from sleeping, and loses a Willpower point every week. This lasts until the task is completed, the spirit is made to rescind its command, or a full lunar cycle has passed.

Oblations: Cleaning a shrine, Interacting with spirits, Qigong exercises, Reciting ku-ji

Character Concepts: Hallucinating schizophrenic, natural onmyoji, spirit warden
                  Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Atlantis, Ltd.
                    There are some who have been given a second chance. Maybe they were saved from being a cripple. Maybe it was from being merely mediocre. Regardless, they were deemed a suitable candidate and went through The Procedure. Now they've had their bodies enhanced with technological enhancements that are nearly beyond belief - provided they can prevent straining their abilities too much, or drawing undesired attention. At least, that's what the company tells them. It far easier to accept than "channeling magical symbols to alter reality".
                    Appearance: Most prefer full body coverings and thicker clothes, the better to conceal their scars and the signs of their gifts. Those self-same gifts make portions of their bodies seem mechanical, artificial, and "cybernetic".
                    Nicknames: Augmented, 'Borgs
                    Parent Path: Obrimos
                    Blessings (Forces, Prime, Life): Forces - Kinetic Efficiency (•), Nightvision (•), Receiver (•), Tune In (•), Control Sound (••), Environmental Shield (••), Invisibility (••), Kinetic Blow (••), Transmission (••), Zoom In (••); Prime - Pierce Deception (•); Life - Analyze Life (•), Web of Life (•), Body Control (••), Heightened Senses (••), Honing the Form (•••), Knit (•••)
                    Curse: Though of great assistance, and in some cases even healing other wounds, the "artifical" nature of their gifts cause their biology to have an adverse reaction.
                    Persistent: Maintaining their artificial components takes certain metals and uncommon chemicals (worth at least Resources ••) a month - being deprived of adequate supplies triggers the same effect as Starvation. Additionally, the personal nature of their gifts means they can largely only affect themselves - attempting to use their non-Knowing Blessings upon another target aggravates their Curse.
                    Beat: If the lack of necessary materials forces the character to endanger themselves to acquire them.
                    Severe: Their body start rejecting their mechanical parts, causing 1 Resistant Lethal damage.
                    Oblations: Performing maintenance upon their cybernetic parts, hooking up to low level current, eating high energy foods
                    Character Concepts: Disabled vet, experimental procedure volunteer, crash survivor, street samurai

[Comments: Thought up after playing too much Shadowrun and Deus Ex. The idea here is that the spells replicate various cybernetic implants. Forces for kinetic boosts to strength and interaction with the electromagnetic spectrum. Life picks up the healing, armor, and physical attribute enhancement. Prime is there just because, really - I didn't have room to add the other abilities that would have made more sense later in the Arcana. The other ideas here is that these Proximi might be made, not "born", and that the party responsible wants to delude them into thinking their powers are technological in nature. Whether this will have any effect on Paradox and secrecy is debatable.]

[Tremere-lite]
                    [Description]
                    Appearance:
                    Nicknames:

Parent Path: Moros
                    Blessings (Death, Matter, Prime): Death - Sever Soul (•••), Devouring the Slain (•••), Without a Trace (••), Suppress Aura (••), Soul Jar (••), Soul Armor (••), Soul Marks (); Matter - Windstrike (•••), Hidden Hoard (••), Craftsman's Eye (); Prime - Dispel Magic (•), Word of Command (), Cloak Nimbus (••), Supernal Veil (••), Channel Mana (•••)
                    Curse:
                    Persistent: [Detachment issue?] [Can't gain Willpower from Virtue or Vice without another Soul attached?]
                    Beat:

Severe: [Soul Loss?]
                    Oblations: [Researching a potential victim?] [Furthering one of the current soul's Aspiration?]
                    Character Concepts:
                    [Comments: So, the idea here is to see how paired down you can get for the basic idea of the Soul-Reaping Tremere. Sever Soul is only Death 3 - within the ability for a Proximus Dynasty to have. The big question is "what else"? The 30 Blessing Dots limit really restricts what they can fully do, so I went for stealth or versatility when possible. Without a Trace, Suppress Aura, Cloak Nimbus, and Supernal Veil are for hiding what they are. Hidden Hoard is for keeping their Soul Jars concealed. Windstrike is a versatile attack spell (if they are willing to Reach for the Tilts), and Dispel Magic a decent counter. Word of Command and Channel Mana lets them utilize others' Imbued Items to expand their abilities even more.]

Last edited by Vent0; 03-31-2017, 10:59 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Anyone have any pointers on what I can name and use as the curse for the Diet Tremere?

Comment

I have a Proximi dynasty I've worked on, and I even have a general idea for the curse, in the sense that I know what I want to happen to them, but I'm not sure how to mechanically pull it off. It's rather frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Laurent View Post
                          I have a Proximi dynasty I've worked on, and I even have a general idea for the curse, in the sense that I know what I want to happen to them, but I'm not sure how to mechanically pull it off. It's rather frustrating.
                          What do you have so far?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

What do you have so far?

The Hidden Judgement Cult

Description: A group with deep roots, this Proximi line began by seeming chance. In Europe, a cult in the control of a number of Seer factions seemed to stumble upon a ritual or rite that could empower someone to the status of Proximi. They exploited it for some time, creating four or five Proximi in rituals that sometimes drew negative attention onto the group, which they carefully deflected with their powers, blaming others and leading to a number of mobs forming, chaos, blood in the streets. And then, just as suddenly, just as inexplicably, the ritual stopped working.

Ever since then the cult has shepherded the charmed bloodline of five people (none related) who intermarried in the hopes of keeping the power within them. They have fallen almost entirely under the control of the Seers, and to this day the Proximi are the property of various Seer Ministries, most recently, over the last century, Panopticon, who has found plenty of use for their abilities, and has made sure that they keep as secret and quiet as possible, this strange cult-family harsh and judgmental to outsiders, and given to inbreeding and other strange habits, their own rituals warped by the centuries into superstitions, despite their access to the Truth.

They specialize in finding out secrets, wracking their enemies with guilt and whipping up crowds to lynch or destroy the lives of those they judge unworthy. This very judgement is a two-way street, and their Curse exposes them to considerable risks, risks that they must face if they wish to use their powers.

Nickname: Scolds.
                            Parent Path: Mastigos
                            Blessings: (Mind, Space, Spirit)

Mind--Know Nature (*), Mental Scan (*), Emotional Urging (**), First Impression (**), Enlightened Will (***) Read the Depths (***), Befuddle (***) [14]

Enlightened Will (Mind •••)
                            Practice: Perfecting
                            Primary Factor: Duration

The mage grants the subject an additional Vice, as the Vice-Ridden Merit: "Succeeding on invested actions."
                            +1 Reach: For a point of Mana, mundane actions where the subject spends Willpower have the rote quality.
                            +2 Reach: For a point of Mana, the subject automatically succeeds on uncontested mundane actions where they spend Willpower. On contested mundane actions, they add effective successes equal to Potency if they rolled at least one success.

Space--Correspondence (*), Isolation (*), Borrow Threads (**), Scry (**), Iron Chains (**), Perfect Sympathy (***) [11]

Iron Chains (Space ●●)
                            Practice: Shielding
                            Primary Factor: Duration
                            Suggested Rote Skills: Socialize, Politics, Empathy
                            This spell target a sympathetic connection. As long as the spell endures, this link cannot be altered in strength or quality by mundane events: he'll remain in the friendzone, she'll never manage to get a divorce, this kid will never get bored of his favorite toy.
                            +1 Reach: The spell can take two targets not connected by a sympathetic link. It prevents any meaningful relationship to develop, maintaining their sympathy null.
                            +1 Reach: Even the supernatural can't break the Iron Chain. Any attempt to alter the sympathetic connection provoke a Clash of Will.

Spirit--Exorcist’s Eye (*), Know Spirit (*), Channel Essence (**)*

* I was considering Command Spirit, but perhaps it'd be best for them to be all carrot and stick?

And here's the part where I have an idea but am not sure how to work with it:

Curse: Each Scold finds that for all that their traditional purpose was to find and expose sinners to be cast out, that their own sins drag behind them. If he does not indulge in the sins and vices that she finds in the sick human minds that he so judges, it will come back to cripple him. And each new person is a new vice, a trail of guilt that they must obscure and hide.

Persistent: Any time they use a Blessing on someone else, they automatically gain that person’s vice, switching for either one day or when they properly fulfill the vice, at which point they are open to take on another vice. Willpower adds only one dice to any action to try to resist indulging the vice, no matter the consequences.

Beat: ???

Severe: If they go one week without having fulfilled a vice that is their own, without having indulged in a sin, if they refuse to give into the sudden, powerful urges, then she finds that that is all she has now. She can no longer add willpower to a roll to resist indulging in a vice, and each new person she uses her powers on ADDS another vice, each of which tugs and screams at her to be indulged, no matter what. She only turns back when she successfully fulfills every single one of her vices in a single day.

Oblations: Revealing a damaging secret shame of someone else’s, gossiping for an extended period of time about someone else, driving someone to act in a manner against their moral code, without using magic.

The basic idea with the Curse is that it relates to their nature. They find out hidden sins and manipulate people for the Seers, but in turn they're driven to all the same sins. The adulterer that they blackmail means that suddenly they feel the urge to cheat, the drunkard they frame for a crime with magic suddenly has them thirsty and desperate for a drink, and if they deny it, then it gets worse for them. Maybe via conditions or something? Not sure how to make it work. Vices clearly would get too cluttered, whereas Conditions might make sense, as long as it's denied as a source of EASY beats. Whatever causes the Beat would have to be something unrelated to resolving the Condition, which I think wouldn't be rewarded. The Beats would be for, "When indulging in vices/sins leads you to fuck things up" or something like that.

Comment

Just a note about Iron Chains. It should lead to Clash of Wills by default without requiring a Reach. I get that it already has an effect, but CoW is triggered whenever a supernatural effect is directly opposed by another supernatural effect (unless one of them has specific rules for resolving the situation) so it wouldn't really be a second effect.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

[Investigators]
                                [Something, something, born seekers of truth and the bringers to light of secrets]

Appearance:
                                Nicknames: Snoops, Counsels, Gumshoes

Parent Path: Acanthus
                                Blessings (Fate, Time, Prime): Fate - Warding Gesture (••), Shifting the Odds (••), Lucky Number (••), Fools Rush In (••), Serendipity (•), Quantum Flux (•), Oaths Fulfilled (•), Interconnections (•); Time - Temporal Summoning (•••), Shifting Sands (•••), Choose the Thread (••), Postcognition (•), Momentary Flux (•), Divination (•); Prime - Words of Truth (••), Cloak Nimbus (••), Supernal Vision (•), Pierce Deception (•), Dispel Magic (•)
                                Curse: [Something that keeps them focused on solving mysteries? Or makes them keep their word or speak true?]
                                Persistent: [Something about Obsession to unsolved mysteries?] [Tie into their Virtue, so they can't let a case rest that pulls at their higher self?] [Addicted to Mysteries - as in, they have the Persistent Addicted Condition for Clues from the Investigation system]
                                Beat: [When they get "beat", like what often happens to noir investigators?]

Severe: [???]
                                Oblations: [Looking at an evidence/connection board?]
                                Character Concepts: Mystic PI, Busybody that can't leave well enough alone, Reluctant investigator in way over their head
                                [Comments: So, this was one of many different takes on a natural Investigator type character for a Proximus Dynasty. Warding Gesture keeps them on target. Oaths Fulfilled can be used to verify future actions, or as a tracker. Other Fate spells streamline investigations, and give them a "lucky" break. Time spells let them examine objects and a scene long after evidence and clues would be gone. Cloak Nimbus lets them go "under cover", Words of Truth lets their evidence be taken meaningfully, and Dispel Magic lets them bypass magic blocking their way.
                                ]
                                Last edited by Vent0; 04-27-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X