How many mages are in your setting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many mages are in your setting?

As the title says. How many mages populate your world? A couple of Hundred for every consilium, or a couple of dozen? What about the Seers?
    I'm interested to hear about your worlds and how your PCs interact with NPCs. trying to get ideas for running a game...
    Thanks!

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-single-place

People ask this question all the time, there are multiple versions of this thread already.

Comment

Ah... thank you. Sorry about cluttering the boards.

Comment

Just one. In my current campaign the PC is the one and only Awakened in the whole area, which is swarming with urban legends, strange phenomena, and management bleeding from an abyssal artifact. There will be some Proximi latter in the chronicle, both on PC's side and allied with Seers but that will be later on. If everything will go according to the plan I will I trounce a Seers or even few of them as a grand final let of the chronicle'so season 1. But I'm playing a tier 1 chronicle intended to have few makes and relatively low power-level.

Comment

I want to say there's about 40 in the consilium, but it's an odd consilium and there's probably more than that but I doubt anyone in the place could name more than forty. I haven't built them all.

There's been a lot of traveling, too, and I plan on their being much more so the numbers will vary a lot.

Comment

I tend to follow the 1% of 1% of 1% rule (and not just for Mages) resulting in ~10k mages world wide. This is in part because I run crossover, and keep population counts low so they aren't constantly colliding, but also because I want the PCs and NPCs to feel distinct and rare.

However, the world has quite a lot Thaumaturges, people with supernatural merits and minisplats running about.

Onyx Path Moderator
            Mod Voice is RED*
            *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
            Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

I guess you make your Mages collect in larger cities or otherwise there would only a handful of places that could support more than a single cabal. And that you play in heavily populated areas 'cause here in Sweden we'd only have ten Mages spread out over the entire country. A Concilium would have to cover the entire Nordic area plus the Baltic countries and still would only have about 35 Mages.

I don't know how many Mages our ST has put in Sweden (where our current campaign takes place) but I'd guess it's around or more than 50 Mages spread out over our ten million population.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I also have a very small Mage population (around 10k, also, about 6k Pentacle, 3k Seers, 1k Nameless). Consiliums/Assemblies are located only in or near major cities or cities of great Mystery and account for a large portion of Mages on that continent. Dispersed Mages within the region can still access the minutes from the meetings and, if there are votes they can participate in, vote by proxy or absentee.

You'd have two, maybe three, Consiliums/Assemblies for all of Europe.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

Where I live has 6 million+ just in the metropolitan area. So I guess his formula of 1% of 1% of 1% would be only 6, That seems a bit low for 6 million+

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                    I tend to follow the 1% of 1% of 1% rule (and not just for Mages) resulting in ~10k mages world wide. This is in part because I run crossover, and keep population counts low so they aren't constantly colliding, but also because I want the PCs and NPCs to feel distinct and rare.

However, the world has quite a lot Thaumaturges, people with supernatural merits and minisplats running about.

This discussion always reminds me of The Dresden Files as I use it as a very rough supernatural population estimate in many of my CofD chronicles

There are a lot of miscellaneous minor magical practitioners, psychics, spirits, ghosts and assorted low-level supernaturals, with a significantly smaller, and very feared and respected, amount of A-List supernaturals like vampires, werewolves and mages (e.g, DFs White Counsel wizards).

Among the teeming supernatural community in the CofD, the vast majority of magic is not practiced by the Awakened, and the Wise are best avoided lest they find you "interesting" and begin to obsess about investigating you further.
                    Last edited by branford; 12-29-2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post
                      This discussion always reminds me of The Dresden Files as I use it as a very rough supernatural population estimate in many of my CofD chronicles

There are a lot of miscellaneous minor magical practitioners, psychics, spirits, ghosts and assorted low-level supernaturals, with a significantly smaller, and very feared and respected, amount of A-List supernaturals like vampires, true werewolves and mages (e.g, DFs White Counsel wizards).

Among the teeming supernatural community in the CofD, the vast majority of magic is not practiced by the Awakened, and the Wise are best avoided lest they find you "interesting" and begin to obsess about investing you further.
                      Couldn't have phrased I better myself!

As to congregation, I tend to run Mages as fairly solitary. Their personalities and obsessions mean that rarely will two Mages really get along, and mysteries can be so fragile that the last thing a Mage wants is another Mage mucking about in their experiments.

This also means that when you do get a bunch of Mages together it's an important event and in all likelihood they are the only Mages around to get involved, which lends itself well to storytelling.

Onyx Path Moderator
                      Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

It makes sense in a big brother sort of way. If the mages are rare then that makes them all the more special. And a bigger target for all the little stuff that wants to make a name for themselves.

Comment

Boston Unveiled, the official 1st ed. Mage: the Awakening citybook, has 72 Awakened mages in the greater Boston area, of whom about 60 are Pentacle mages.

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                            Couldn't have phrased I better myself!

As to congregation, I tend to run Mages as fairly solitary. Their personalities and obsessions mean that rarely will two Mages really get along, and mysteries can be so fragile that the last thing a Mage wants is another Mage mucking about in their experiments.

This also means that when you do get a bunch of Mages together it's an important event and in all likelihood they are the only Mages around to get involved, which lends itself well to storytelling.

The exception, however, would be cabals. This is necessary for the setting and "realistic" roleplaying to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post
                              The exception, however, would be cabals. This is necessary for the setting and "realistic" roleplaying to occur.
                              My general assumption is that fledgling Mages, especially Free Council Mages, form cabals. But those Cabals almost inevitably fall apart as the Mages drift towards their own obsessions. That or they have huge, potentially violent, falling outs.

The Diamond favors the mentor student structure, which is no less prone to bad falling out.

I'll be first to admit this approach probably won't work for most groups, but it fits nicely with my event/arc based style of running.

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Working...
                              X