Travelling Mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling Mages

I am going to try my hand at Storytelling a Mage the Awakening 2e game on a PbP sight (Myth-weavers). The members of the cabal are a rock band and on tour they travel from city to city. How should the local Consilium view such travelling mages and should there be a Consilium in every city. And is it possible and a good idea to make the tour bus a Sanctum?

The base idea is that the music is their magic sort of thing.

How a Consilium reacts depends on their reputation and level of respect for the local laws. Not every city has a Consilium, those only crop up around Mysteries, and yeah a tour bus can be a Sanctum.

Comment

Consilia are mostly a Diamond thing. Cities where the Free Council is the majority will have an Assembly that Diamond mages participate in as part of their alliance as the Pentacle. Cities where the Seers of the Throne dominate will be managed by a large-scale pylon answering to the dominant Ministry. (Pylons are the Seer equivalents to cabals and columns, but pylons are typically larger due to Seers being obsessed with hierarchy and a chain of command) And then there are cities with no particular mage government, due to having no special mystery to chase and thus having a low mage population.

Whether a city will welcome them depends on which sect your rock band belong to, and the current political climate and/or past history the city has had with outsiders.

Don't recall the Sanctum rules right now, so can't comment on that.

Great idea on magic music, though. They can use it as Yantras, Shadow Names, the Cabal Theme, a way to cover up overt magic and such.

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Mages you don't know are all possible enemies. Unless the characters arrive with a letter of introduction from a Hierarch or similarly potent figure that the receiving Consilium is familiar with and trusts, expect a frosty reception at best. Moreover, expect other Mages feeling very uncharitable when they spot the newcomers in their territory.

Of course, this assumes the characters care to be spotted. They might arrive, perform, and leave without stirring the pot. As long as other Mages aren't in the area at the time when they cast a spell, they'll be fine. It's entirely possible that Mages wander through the cities of other Awakened all the time and never know about each others' presence.

The trouble comes when a Mystery presents itself and they can't help but give chase.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
          Great idea on magic music, though. They can use it as Yantras, Shadow Names, the Cabal Theme, a way to cover up overt magic and such.
          This was my thought on the matter.

Comment

Having connections with the Mysterium Egregore is a good way to get your bona fides when traveling.

Comment

Order Status would help, compared to Consilium Status.

You would definitely want a sanctum traveling with them, unless you're going the 'PCs automatically regen mana during downtime' route.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

You would definitely want a sanctum traveling with them, unless you're going the 'PCs automatically regen mana during downtime' route.
                Ya, I won't be forcing them to take anything in particular but it will be suggested that they take certain stuff.

I have also described their Manager as odd, he is the one that books their tour and they seem to arrive in town at the worst of times as thing in the supernatural world are in upheaval, or thing in the sleeper world are bad, or a little of both.

Comment

This is part of the introduction and i feel it is accurate.

"Music has captivated the young and old alike. Music can sooth the raging heart, or inflame the masses. It can bring sorrow or joy. Lovers choose a song that will remind them of their love. Nothing can stir human emotions quit like music as it can speak to the very sole. Music is magical and in your case literally"

Comment

Is not in 2E Mage corebook music inspired chronicle cast creation tool?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Is not in 2E Mage corebook music inspired chronicle cast creation tool?

Nor sure what this is supposed to mean? No music itself isn't magical but the median that they use to cast their magic is music. The lyrics and musical notes can be Yantras, instruments can be dedicated magic tools.

Haven't you ever listened to a song that was so sad that you welled up and almost cried, that is mind control affecting your emotions. Concentrated sound can break bones, forces effect.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

In what way do you think that a Sanctum eases mana usage?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
                          I have also described their Manager as odd, he is the one that books their tour and they seem to arrive in town at the worst of times as thing in the supernatural world are in upheaval, or thing in the sleeper world are bad, or a little of both.
                          This has me thinking the underlying Mystery of the Chronicle is the tour itself. I think I'd want to play a Mage who has barely any musical talent at all but is faking it in order to get in the band and get in on this rockin' Mystery.

Comment

I can't say much here as I know atleast one of the potential group does visit this forum I believe 3 of them are but not sure. But the Manager is involved.

P.S. I told them that they didn't actually need to be one of the band members that they could be any of the support staff up to but excluding the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                              In what way do you think that a Sanctum eases mana usage?
                              Pardon, I meant Hallow. It's a location that produces Mana, in Merit form similar to Sanctum. Sorry to have confused you.

Comment

Working...
                              X